Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: What should our June category be?
Science Fiction 12 46.15%
Fantasy 10 38.46%
Non-Fiction 9 34.62%
Modern Literature (Written within past 10 years.) 9 34.62%
Biography/Memoir 10 38.46%
Lottery (Version 2—winner provides selection to vote on.) 8 30.77%
Free For All 8 30.77%
Young Adult 9 34.62%
Humor 7 26.92%
Award Winners 14 53.85%
Classical Literature (Published at least 25 years ago.) 10 38.46%
Historical Fiction 10 38.46%
MobileRead Authors 7 26.92%
Splatterpunk 3 11.54%
Indie 6 23.08%
Adventure which has nothing to do with travelling 3 11.54%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #31
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Awards are "someone liked this book well enough to recommend it." Usually, "a group liked this book well enough to recommend it." Sometimes the group claims to like books of a specific literary quality; sometimes they don't. Book awards are, by their nature, popularity contests; it's just that some of them claim to be popular with certain people of specific, supposedly discerning, tastes.

If those tastes don't match yours, the award is meaningless. The Pulitzer tells me that a book fits some set of qualifications for "literary excellence;" it doesn't tell me I'll enjoy reading it, nor that my life will be improved thereby. The Hugo award tells me that I'll probably enjoy reading the book, regardless of whether it's "well-written" by the standards the Pulitzer team uses.

I know I'd probably enjoy any book that's won a Rainbow Award. I might even nominate one. I know that the odds of it getting second-and-thirded would be very low, and the odds of it getting voted in as the selection are beyond negligible--not because MR readers don't trust the quality of the award, but because most of the readers here don't have a strong interest in LGBT-themed books. Likewise, recommendations from the ENnies are unlikely to get selected.

I would love the Award Winners category to avoid the larger, well-known awards like Pulitzer and Man Booker, and seek out smaller, oddball awards to say "here's something that you probably have never heard of, and wouldn't normally consider trying, but it did win an award so you know at least someone thinks it's good."

And whether or not the books from those awards get selected, we'd be able to discuss them and recommend books that might not come up on other topics. Most of the Rainbow Award books fit under "romance;" some are science fiction; some are mysteries--they could get nominated other months. The ENnie winners are in a niche industry that's hard to define; it often straddles the line between fiction and nonfic. (Is a gaming manual fiction or not?) Still, The Investigator's Guide to Occult London might be an interesting read even to people not interested in the RPG aspects.
I agree.
However, I'd personally love for it to be all inclusive. Basically if it won some sort of recognized award, then it qualifies to be nominated.

I'm hoping, if the category wins, that people will also list the award(s) that their nomination has won. It would be cool to see that a book has won both a "larger, well known" award as well as an "oddball" award; that, to me, would indicated even wider appeal than just one or the other.

Last edited by Nyssa; 01-21-2013 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Wow! Typo-palooza
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:46 PM   #32
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^I also like the idea of learning about other awards. Most of my interest in the book club is finding different things to read based on the diverse interests of the people participating. Where else can I get new ideas for reading from issybird, JSWolf and orlok. All in the same category?
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2013, 02:58 PM   #33
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I agree.
However, I'd personally love for it to be all inclusive. Basically if it won some sort of recognized award, then it qualifies to be nominated.
Definitely. I'm hoping people choose to seek out smaller awards related to subjects or groups of interest to them; I certainly don't want to exclude the larger awards.

Quote:
I'm hoping, if the category wins, that people will also list the award(s) that their nomination has won. It would be cool to see that a book has won both a "larger, well known" award as well as an "oddball" award; that, to me, would indicated even wider appeal than just one or the other.
I'd expect people to list the award, and if possible, provide a link. That helps the goal of "find new books to read and enjoy" even if it's not required by the nominate-and-vote process.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:41 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I would enjoy finding books that won small less well-known awards. That way, maybe we could find books that we've never heard of before and be able to broaden our reading.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:23 PM   #35
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Award Winners is our category for June!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2013, 06:26 PM   #36
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Awards are "someone liked this book well enough to recommend it." Usually, "a group liked this book well enough to recommend it." Sometimes the group claims to like books of a specific literary quality; sometimes they don't. Book awards are, by their nature, popularity contests; it's just that some of them claim to be popular with certain people of specific, supposedly discerning, tastes.

If those tastes don't match yours, the award is meaningless. The Pulitzer tells me that a book fits some set of qualifications for "literary excellence;" it doesn't tell me I'll enjoy reading it, nor that my life will be improved thereby. The Hugo award tells me that I'll probably enjoy reading the book, regardless of whether it's "well-written" by the standards the Pulitzer team uses.

I know I'd probably enjoy any book that's won a Rainbow Award. I might even nominate one. I know that the odds of it getting second-and-thirded would be very low, and the odds of it getting voted in as the selection are beyond negligible--not because MR readers don't trust the quality of the award, but because most of the readers here don't have a strong interest in LGBT-themed books. Likewise, recommendations from the ENnies are unlikely to get selected.

I would love the Award Winners category to avoid the larger, well-known awards like Pulitzer and Man Booker, and seek out smaller, oddball awards to say "here's something that you probably have never heard of, and wouldn't normally consider trying, but it did win an award so you know at least someone thinks it's good."

And whether or not the books from those awards get selected, we'd be able to discuss them and recommend books that might not come up on other topics. Most of the Rainbow Award books fit under "romance;" some are science fiction; some are mysteries--they could get nominated other months. The ENnie winners are in a niche industry that's hard to define; it often straddles the line between fiction and nonfic. (Is a gaming manual fiction or not?) Still, The Investigator's Guide to Occult London might be an interesting read even to people not interested in the RPG aspects.
Thanks for the Rainbow Awards mention. I wasn't aware of that one. I just put The Zero Knot on my wish list. My recent contact with an LGBT award was the Lambda Literary Award. I read an award winner from there and was absolutely impressed with the story - if not the copy editing.

I guess I'm waiting to see what constitutes an award for this one. I have no issue with the big prizes, but I also like some of the smaller prizes. I'm interested in the IPPY awards for example (Independent Publisher Book Awards).

But as long as your Rainbow Award nomination isn't just an LGBT equivalent of a bodice ripper or purely erotica I wouldn't necessarily have trouble voting for it.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:48 PM   #37
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
The July category nominations thread is open.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=203464
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:28 PM   #38
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
But as long as your Rainbow Award nomination isn't just an LGBT equivalent of a bodice ripper or purely erotica I wouldn't necessarily have trouble voting for it.
I've loved everything I've read by L.A. Witt. While they're solidly romance-genre erotica books, they have real plots and well-developed characters. I intend to pick up Static (Rainbow award winner) which is science fiction; I know I'll like it but I'm not sure whether I'd recommend something that niche-y.

Now I get to spend the next few months looking for interesting book awards.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:47 AM   #39
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
It might seem quite stupid given how I feel about censoring ideas and how readily I would read literature with all sorts of disturbing and even controversial subject matter, but I don't particularly like graphic sex scenes in novels.

I'm not saying I wouldn't read anything with graphic sex scenes - I certainly have and will probably do so on occasion in the future. It's just that I seem to have a separation of "purpose" for such content as compared to any other content.

Perhaps challenging myself to read something with an erotica basis and then discussing it as part of the book club might be surprisingly liberating. Although I think I might baulk at giving a rating on "hotness" or similar.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote