Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-11-2010, 11:43 PM   #16
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I also enjoy the Dresden series. It has it's flaws but it's a fun premise and enjoyable.

If you liked Dresden - check out Glen Cook's Garrett series with metal in the names: "Old Tin Sorrows", "Sweet Silver Blues", etc. Read them in order as characters grow/develop during the books.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:53 AM   #17
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
The only thing that saved the book for me was the humor. I found the characters rather stereotypical.
I read the first book then moved on to other series, I came back for book 2 a few months later and was hooked. What I like about this series is the story, mythology and character development gets better with each story.

Quote:
The main character is more human, and I did like him, although I wasn't impressed at all by the attempts at making him dark and mysterious while at the same time drowning us in details about his past I do like a book to leave some freedom to my imagination, and hint at things rather than hit me in the face with them. This was my main problem with this book, although I've seen worse
I never got him as dark and mysterious (maybe because I watched the series prior to reading the books). It may have seemed like they were swamping you with details but all they did in the beginning was leave things to the imagination. I just finished book 12 and they are still surprising us with information that predates book one.

Quote:
Thanks all. Sounds like everybody agrees that the books get better, so maybe I should give it another try some day. But if I do, I think I'll skip 2 and 3 and go directly to #4
Don't miss out on 2 and 3... or people will start talking about you ...
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2010, 11:28 AM   #18
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
I thought the first was OK, enough to try the second. Really didn't care for the second book at all, and gave up on it for a while. #3 was an improvement over #2, and #4 really got me into it. I just finished #12 yesterday, and I have to say I like all the books after #4, but #4, #7, #10, and #12 are my favorites. Am grumpy that I have to wait a year for the next book.

The Codex Alera series also seems pretty neat. Different style (Roman Pokemon), but fairly intriguing. I've only finished the first 2 books though.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:50 AM   #19
sony_fox
Zealot
sony_fox has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Auroa H2O
I quite like Harry dresden series, especially the overarching plot that pervades each book, but allows them to have a story of their own. I dislike Jim's habit of dropping/killing any supporting character after a couple of books though. I fear for Molly.

Anyone know of a decent price for Changes? I can't find it less than £10 yet which is really annoying me.

Furies I just can't ever get into. I've got one more to read I think, but they're just too rushed for me - not enough worldbuilding or explanation, and no character deoth to compensate for it.
sony_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 04:28 PM   #20
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
The quality of the series was very uneven to me, at least in the first four or five I've read. I did enjoy them (never watched the TV series) and it led me to read his "Codex Alera" series, which I enjoyed even more.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2010, 04:12 AM   #21
weateallthepies
Lord of the Pies
weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Sage, Onyx Boox Leaf 2, iPad Pro
I'd also recommend the 'Felix Castor' series by Mike Carey for those who enjoy Dresden Files. I tend to prefer them so they may appeal to some here.
weateallthepies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:58 AM   #22
Larken
Where's the backlight??
Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 and Kobo Glo HD
I've read all of the Dresden Files books twice. I just finished the newest one. I actually thought it was less rivoting than the previous books. I was actually introduced to the Dresden series by a guy who rear-ended my car on a rainy day. He was telling me about the series while we were waiting for the police to arrive I'm reading the first of the Alera series now, and I like it pretty well. I, too, think it seems a bit Pokemon-ish but not in a terribly childish way.
Larken is offline   Reply With Quote