Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 04-15-2008, 12:33 PM   #1
Malder1
Connoisseur
Malder1 began at the beginning.

New battery - how better it is than old one?

I have just received back my iLiad after free battery replacement. How longer it should work now in comparison with the old one?

Last edited by Malder1; 04-15-2008 at 12:37 PM.
Malder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 01:10 PM   #2
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
According to iRex the battery power has been increased by 20%, resulting in about 15 hours of reading experience.
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2008, 03:25 PM   #3
Malder1
Connoisseur
Malder1 began at the beginning.

Thanks
Malder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 09:08 PM   #4
orcinus
Gadgeteer
orcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enough

Device: iRex iLiad, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770, BB 7200, Samsung i600, iPhone
Now here's what i don't get... How can a 20% increase in battery capacity result in a 150% increase in battery life?

(trying to decide whether to buy a used first or new second edition ;D)
orcinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 09:17 PM   #5
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

They also decreased the power consumption of the device by ~ 20% with firmware v2.11, that should be v1/v2 independent.
Advert
Old 05-05-2008, 03:07 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcinus View Post
Now here's what i don't get... How can a 20% increase in battery capacity result in a 150% increase in battery life?

(trying to decide whether to buy a used first or new second edition ;D)
What makes you think it's a 150% increase?

An increase in battery life from around 12h to around 15h is consistent with the 20% increased battery capacity. Obviously it depends how you use it - if you make heavy use of the digitizer or WiFi you'll get nothing like that!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 01:08 PM   #7
orcinus
Gadgeteer
orcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What makes you think it's a 150% increase?
Sorry, meant to write "50% increase". Typo / brain-fart.

Wasn't the original spec "up to 10 hours"? 10 hours + 50% = 15 hours
But if it's 12h with the latest firmware, then everything fits, i guess
Old 05-05-2008, 05:40 PM   #8
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
12 hours? Never - I've got an iLiad V2 and using FBReader. The maximum is 8 hours. If you use an USB Stick even less (USB sticks are leeching power like hell).
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 03:56 PM   #9
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
12 hours? Never - I've got an iLiad V2 and using FBReader. The maximum is 8 hours. If you use an USB Stick even less (USB sticks are leeching power like hell).
Using memory cards/sticks, the pen, etc, will all drain the battery faster. If you do nothing but read and turn pages it should give you around 15 hours with a V2. If you're significantly short of that, you might have a battery problem. You can try contacting their support and see if they'll replace it under warranty.

On my V1, I get slightly more than 12 hours just reading.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 08:56 AM   #10
orcinus
Gadgeteer

How much impact does reading an ebook from a card/USB stick have compared to reading from internal memory?

Does content (PDF, Mobipocket, RTF etc.) get cached in RAM then rendered or does iLiad access the card each time you turn the page (or iPDF precaches a page)?
Old 05-14-2008, 10:34 AM   #11
-Thomas-
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcinus View Post
Does content (PDF, Mobipocket, RTF etc.) get cached in RAM then rendered or does iLiad access the card each time you turn the page (or iPDF precaches a page)?
AFAIK iPDF renders five pages in advance and stores them in RAM.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:37 AM   #12
orcinus
Gadgeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Thomas- View Post
AFAIK iPDF renders five pages in advance and stores them in RAM.
Thanks for the info.
What i don't get is why the whole PDF file doesn't get copied to RAM before rendering. There should be plenty of space there (most average PDF's are <5-6 MB) and it would cut down the Flash / memory card accesses and probably prolong battery life by a significant amount.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:01 PM   #13
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
actually, most scanned books are significantly larger (Un-OCRed) than 5-6mb..
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 01:31 PM   #14
orcinus
Gadgeteer

I don't use non-OCR'd books