Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 02-28-2012, 09:05 PM   #1
thetaoofrecovery
thetaoofrecovery began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Kindle Fire Directory Structure/OS

First just want to say how happy I am with my Kindle Fire, which I bought on impulse and haven't regretted yet!

I am a proficient Windows user, and like to organize my files into particular directories etc. w/ Explorer. I downloaded the explorer ap for my Kindle. One of the quirks of the Fire OS is figuring out the directory structure and its implication for where my "books" and other documents appear. For example --

When I used Calibre to convert an ebook to a compatible MOBI format (by deleting the PDOC tag) and let calibre transfer it to my device, I noticed that the 3 files associated with the book are located in the DOCUMENTS folder, but that the book itself is displayed in the BOOKS section. I would have thought (intuitively) that the file(s) would have to be in the BOOKS folder to appear there. Can anyone please explain to me how this works...I really want to be sure that I understand how to "organize" my files (both in the directory, and how they will be displayed) before loading many files onto the device.

Thanks!
thetaoofrecovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:14 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
You can put MOBI ebooks into either the Books or the Documents folder. In either case, it is the cdetype record inside the ebook that controls which app (Books or Docs) "owns" it. If this is EBOK (Calibre's default) they will show up in Books, and if cdetype is missing or set to PDOC (Calibre's alternative option) it will show up in Docs.

Calibre always puts the ebooks into Documents, but it is the cdetype that matters.

If you email the ebook to Amazon, they automatically add PDOC before sending it back to your Fire.

Note that you can't use sub-folders for ebooks, they all have to be in Books or Documents (e.g. not Books\Author_Name or whatever).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-29-2012, 12:15 PM   #3
thetaoofrecovery
thetaoofrecovery began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Thank you for the explanation!
thetaoofrecovery is offline   Reply With Quote