Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 12-27-2011, 01:45 PM   #1
kindleuser2
kindleuser2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Calibre and the Kindle Fire issue

I'm pretty new to the Fire and even more new to Calibre, but I'm having an issue and can't seem to find a way around it.

I've set up calibre for the fire and all that stuff, and my fire can see my book collection (via wireless) I can even download the books, but when I click the title in the status menu of the kindle it says cannot open file. (I've tried both epub and mobi file types) If anyone has a solution let me know!
kindleuser2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:44 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindleuser2 View Post
I'm pretty new to the Fire and even more new to Calibre, but I'm having an issue and can't seem to find a way around it.

I've set up calibre for the fire and all that stuff, and my fire can see my book collection (via wireless) I can even download the books, but when I click the title in the status menu of the kindle it says cannot open file. (I've tried both epub and mobi file types) If anyone has a solution let me know!
Kindles don't like EPUB.
Are you using the Calibre Content Server on the Host?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2011, 02:55 PM   #3
kindleuser2

Yes, I'm using the calibre content server.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:51 PM   #4
kindleuser2

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Kindles don't like EPUB.
What kind of file type should I be converting my books for the Kindle fire?
Old 12-27-2011, 03:54 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindleuser2 View Post
What kind of file type should I be converting my books for the Kindle fire?
All other Kindles use Mobi. I can't think of a reason Amazon would lock out the format sold in their store for the other Kindle series.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2011, 04:24 PM   #6
kindleuser2

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
All other Kindles use Mobi. I can't think of a reason Amazon would lock out the format sold in their store for the other Kindle series.
I was thinking the same thing, I've converted multiple titles just to make sure it wasn't one bad file or something like that, but every time I try to open up a mobi on my fire it says it cannot open it. at this point I'm not really sure what to do.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:59 PM   #7
kindleuser2

I just converted the calibre user manual to mobi and sent it, it refuses to open as well.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:52 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You have to reboot the Fire for books downloaded via the internet to open. Dont ask me why.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:18 AM   #9
Babbabooey
Babbabooey began at the beginning.

I have the exact same problem.. I can see my Calibre Library using the web browser on the Kindle, and can 'get' the books fine, but they all say 'cannot open file'. I've got no authentication on the Calibre web server, and have rebooted the kindle to see if they then show up, but no luck.

Please help !!!
Babbabooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:38 AM   #10
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Try the File Expert method (How to Sideload Mobi books without Restarting).

I also suggest connecting via USB and confirming that the MOBI files you downloaded via the browser are in Books or Documents and that they can be read from there from your PC (i.e. actually are good MOBI ebooks). On Windows, you can use Desktop MobiPocket Reader and on Windows or a Mac you can use Kindle Previewer to check the MOBIs.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:41 AM   #11
Babbabooey

The books definitely work, as I can transfer them using Calibre when the Kindle is connected via USB. It would be much easier for me to get new ones via the web browser method.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:49 AM   #12
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babbabooey View Post
The books definitely work, as I can transfer them using Calibre when the Kindle is connected via USB. It would be much easier for me to get new ones via the web browser method.
I suspect that the web browser files are different from the ones you get via USB, otherwise the Fire's behavior is hard to understand. That is why I suggested checking the files from the web browser.

I have also seen one report that ebook filenames with spaces in them can cause problems on the Fire. Even it they don't seem to have spaces, try renaming a web-browser ebook file (via the USB connection) to something simple (still .mobi) and see if it is then recognized correctly.

Last edited by wallcraft; 12-30-2011 at 06:53 AM.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:06 AM   #13
Babbabooey

Renamed a couple of books to simple one word titles and tried again, still download fine but cannot open.

Connected the Fire up via USB and tracked down the web-downloaded files, which were placed in K:\Download.. Would this be the issue? Surely they should be in books or documents?

The actual files themselves are fine in that I can read them fine on the PC.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:29 AM   #14
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babbabooey View Post
Connected the Fire up via USB and tracked down the web-downloaded files, which were placed in K:\Download.. Would this be the issue? Surely they should be in books or documents?
Yes, you need to move them to Books or Documents using a file manager app on the Fire. One such is File Expert, which I mentioned previously, but there are others if you don't mind rebooting to get the ebooks to show up.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:59 AM   #15
Babbabooey

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Yes, you need to move them to Books or Documents using a file manager app on the Fire. One such is File Expert, which I mentioned previously, but there are others if you don't mind rebooting to get the ebooks to show up.
So by design thats how the calibre sends over the Web, And you need to manually move the files every time? I Don't remember reading that, But hey ho if that's how it has to be.

Cheers for the advice

Tags
book, epub, fire, kindle, problem