Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-11-2009, 04:02 PM   #1
traffordcentre
traffordcentre began at the beginning.

Device: sony e reader
Sony 505 - product codes, can anyone help me?

Hello

I have also posted this in the which reader should i buy section by mistake so mods, please remove from there if you feel it's not in the right place.

I am really wanting to buy a sony e reader and like another poster on here, I was planning to buy it from play.com because, as of yesterday it was £179.99.

I went on today to buy it to find it has gone back up to £199.99 so I started to check web prices all over again. And this time, I noticed that each shop gave the sony 505s a slightly different product code.

For example, the sony e reader on play is called PRS - 505 - SC and the spec says it has a battery life of 6800 page turns.

Whereas on the sony site, its e reader code is PRS 505 S - CEW with a battery life of 7500 page turns.

So this has totally confused me! Can anyone tell me:

Is the model sold on play (which provides a free accessory) an older model? Is the one on Sony is an updated version with longer battery life?

Or are they one and the same?

Can anyone please advise?

Thanks so much
traffordcentre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:14 PM   #2
ladyjane
I hate to clean
ladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, Acer NetBook
hi .I own the sony505se=silver and I'm totally in love with it..the 6800 page turns would be if you did it on the first charge..I read every day and I figure I get about 3000 page turns.I got nothing as far as accessories but I have a PSP and that charges it just like the one sony would like you to buy..just have a look at some of the posts on here..much information from ppl that really know what there talking about..I can only say from personal experience. Good luck ..Hope I was of some help
ladyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 05:15 PM   #3
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
As far as I know, all the Sony PRS-505 series have the same batteries and the same number of page turns. Any Letters after the Model depict the colour and whether it is a special edition. Example:

From sonystyle.com
  • PRS-505/RC (Colour is Sangria Red)
  • PRS-505/RC/DC (Colour is Sangria Red, Preloaded with Danielle Steel eBooks and embossed cover)
  • PRS-505/SC (Colour is Silver)
  • PRS-505/LC (Colour is Dark Blue)
From sonystyle.ca
  • PRS-505 R (Colour is Sangria Red)
  • PRS-505 S (Colour is Silver)

Why they have different model numbers in different countries I'm not sure.

I've never seen a PRS-505/S/CEW model but I assume it is Silver in colour and a special edition of some kind.

I have seen other PRS-505 models that have been preloaded with a certain author's eBooks and one that had a .007 embossed cover on it but I don't know if they had different model numbers.

Hope this is of help. WDE.

Last edited by Wetdogeared; 05-11-2009 at 05:39 PM.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 04:34 AM   #4
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by traffordcentre View Post
I went on today to buy it to find it has gone back up to £199.99 so I started to check web prices all over again. And this time, I noticed that each shop gave the sony 505s a slightly different product code.
They're all the same, but watch out as it appears that the RRP might just have gone up, as John Lewis & Waterstones show them at £224 - I'd suggest you try & grab one from Play at £199 while you can!
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:17 AM   #5
00hkelly
00hkelly began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
I have just been stung by this. I had it in my cart for £179 but started playing around adding and deleting stuff. Only to find it is now £199. I'm fuming. Anybody know a way to recover the cookies from my old cart? Customer service didn't want to know if it wasn't in my cart.
00hkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:50 AM   #6
00hkelly

Wow, back down to £179!!! Don't know why and not asking any questions. Just placing my order now. Thank the gods or whoever at play.com is watching this. I'd snap yours up now!!!
Old 05-12-2009, 08:49 AM   #7
00hkelly

as for the product codes and battery discrepancies the sony.co.uk site lists the battery life as 6800 page turns. And the play.com specs cite 7000 and 6800 so I believe this must just be a matter of the 'approx' factor.

As for the .CEW tag on the end of the product code. I think that this is a code to say that it has been bought from the SonyStyle store. Upon adding products to the cart, when you checkout, it seems all items get some tag added to the end of them to signify this.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:08 PM   #8
traffordcentre

Thanks so much for all your replies and clarification re product codes, page turns etc : )

I will take a look at play.com now - fingers crossed its still cheap! Otherwise, I will pay a visit to Sony this weekend to take the plunge! Wish me luck....... : )
Old 05-12-2009, 05:14 PM   #9
sayhello
Addict
sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Blue!), PRS-650 (Black), iPad, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by traffordcentre View Post
Thanks so much for all your replies and clarification re product codes, page turns etc : )

I will take a look at play.com now - fingers crossed its still cheap! Otherwise, I will pay a visit to Sony this weekend to take the plunge! Wish me luck....... : )
Best of luck!

YOU WILL LOVE IT!

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 05:19 PM   #10
traffordcentre

Woo hoo!! Just bought it from play for £179.99 with free leather cover too!
Cant wait to receive it!!
Old 05-12-2009, 05:54 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Actually, the 505 comes with a fake leather cover.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:52 PM   #12
traffordcentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, the 505 comes with a fake leather cover.
I know it comes with a fake leather cover.... but the play offer I have just bought includes a free accessory and i have chosen the leather one (which should be £29.99)
Old 05-13-2009, 07:46 AM   #13
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Congrats! £179 is an excellent price. Now you just have to wait for it to arrive (that's the hardest part).
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:16 PM   #14
traffordcentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly View Post
Congrats! £179 is an excellent price. Now you just have to wait for it to arrive (that's the hardest part).
I know exactly what you mean. It would be great if I got it before the weekend - that way, I can spend all weekend really testing it out. Cant wait !! : )
Old 05-13-2009, 03:30 PM   #15
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
In the meantime, you can download the US Sony eBook Software & try that (and if you tell it you're in the US, you can download the freebies from the Sony Store - there's no downside, as the UK version just goes to the Waterstones web-site), and also Calibre, which you should also take a look at.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote