Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Legacy E-Book Devices

Notices

Old 02-10-2009, 06:23 PM   #1
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Who has the oldest fully function reading device?

I just thought it would be fun to yak about who has the oldest still in service device they still use to read on a regular basis.

Mine is the Sony Clie nx73v that I scored about 2yrs back now for about $16 at an area thrift store. I am about 50-50 on using that vs. my N800. I never use the Kindle.

My Clie as made in 2003 and from the files still one when when I first bought it...the guy bought it then. I use it daily as a PIM and a good 10-15hrs/wk for reading. And another good 10hrs/wk for the NYT crossword puzzles, though some Sundays I use the whole 10hrs on that puzzle.

It is my go-to device for reading outside. Built to out live the cockroaches to boot.

There has to be someone running something a lot older. I can't wait to hear about them!
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:25 PM   #2
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
I still use my old REB on a fairly regular basis. That's about 10 years old.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:40 PM   #3
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

you know everyone I read who has the old REB's still loves them. I am lucky in that my Clie runs several ebook reader apps so even DRM MOBI is not a problem for me.

Do you have any problems with format shifting to get content on your REB? (thank you kovid!!)
Old 02-10-2009, 07:16 PM   #4
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Are you discounting the Dead Sea Scrolls, and the stone inscriptions on the pyramids? No, I guess I don't have either of those, though.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:21 PM   #5
junkml
Addict
junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Still using my Nuvomedia Rocket Ebook from 10 years ago. I still think it's a fantastic device that was just ahead of it's time. I like it better than the RCA Ebooks, and the Ebookwise devices that came after it.

But, I mainly use my Sony now.
junkml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:28 PM   #6
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i have an ebookwise 1150 which is pretty old, although i've personally only had it for about a year. i love it ; even though i also have a sony 700 (which i also love), i still wouldn't give it up.

brecklundin, why do you hate your kindle ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:08 PM   #7
brecklundin
Banned

Zelda...I have actually answered that question to death. The ergonomics of the Kindle are bad for me. As is the contrast ratio. I actually have more difficulty reading on the current state of the art eink displays over LCD type displays.

As for the ergonomics, they (as well as the Sony's, Cybooks, etc) are too thin for me to hold in my hand for even 5-mins., my hands do not work with the button locations and a few other things. Pretty much I end up using it two handed, and if that is the case I am going with a convertible netbook later this year if they get them right and 86 the glossy displays.

I believe we have discussed my issue with the Kindle before...but it's hard to like anything about a device that causes you pain to hold. Yet, also I feel there is a significant degree of hyperbole when praising the readability of eink as it exists today. And as I have written other times, that is for ME and I am not saying they are bad devices, rather they are not a universal solution, not by a fair margin for many of us out here.

There is a part of me that is thinking up a custom holder for these devices that will fix the need to squeeze, but my other devices work so well, I am in no hurry. I do LOVE the eink display outside but still I can use my Clie with it's transreflective display outside just fine...the more sun the better it looks.

So my better half got the Kindle, well, she adopted it almost immediately...hehehehe... She uses it all the time and loves it.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:17 PM   #8
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
thanks for the reply ; i didn't mean to make you cover the same ground again, i hadn't seen your explanation before.

actually i completely understand what you mean about the ergonomics of the current generation of e-ink devices (all of them) ; i think they are pretty poor as well frankly, certainly significantly inferior to the eb1150 which actually did an excellent job in that area (and which might suit you, based on your description of what you dislike about the kindle). that's one reason i finally chose the 700 ; the touchscreen allows me to hold it however i want and still easily turn the pages without imposing a specific (and probably uncomfortable) position. i don't have the trouble with it being too thin because i have pretty small hands, but even so i find the eb1150 still overall more comfortable to hold (except that it's too heavy). i hope that we'll see an improvement in ergonomics in the next generation devices but given the current trend of "thinner is better" you probably still won't find one that suits you.

i personally do prefer e-ink to a backlit screen, even in its imperfect state, but i have rather sensitive eyes and when i'm tired the light is actually painful to look at.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:17 PM   #9
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I have tea leaves? How old a reader is that?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:52 PM   #10
brecklundin
Banned

hmmmm...tea leaves? I bet they tell some story indeed! Were they your great grandmother's? Did they come with to your family with Jaques Cartier? How many generations have they been in your family? Or did you aquire them when you were helping build the railroads out west in the US?

Oh, how much battery life do you get out of them? How many page turns?
Old 02-10-2009, 08:57 PM   #11
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
hmmmm...tea leaves? I bet they tell some story indeed! Were they your great grandmother's? Did they come with to your family with Jaques Cartier? How many generations have they been in your family? Or did you aquire them when you were helping build the railroads out west in the US?

Oh, how much battery life do you get out of them? How many page turns?

Actually, I can't read them, they're in Chinese.

Seriously, my oldest reader is a 1986 Mac+. Does that count? It's portable!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:02 PM   #12
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
I thought my Zodiac (August '04 serial number) was fairly venerable by technology standards, but it looks like everybody here has it beat...
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:06 PM   #13
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post

Actually, I can't read them, they're in Chinese.

Seriously, my oldest reader is a 1986 Mac+. Does that count? It's portable!
Hah. I have a Compaq 286 luggable from 1983. And it still works.

Anyway, I don't think they count for this contest.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:38 PM   #14
Seosamh
Seosamh began at the beginning.

Device: none as of now
I still read from stacks of dried wood pulp sheets glued together and permanently pigmented with letter shapes.
Seosamh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:37 PM   #15
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
There's a nice write-up on the History of E-Books here.

I personally got started with the REB 1100 (320x480 B&W LCD) early 2003, but also had used a "crisp" Sony Clie SJ20 (320x320 monochrome LCD) mid 2003.

I haven't yet ventured out into the eInk reader realm, as they personally don't offer anything I would upgrade for/to. Even though I love gadgets, I prefer functionality over "looks" (I especially avoid iPods). OK, get me a color eInk reader, and then I'll recant the above.

Truth be told, the original Nuvomedia/Softbook readers "did" it right, just with the wrong (closed) business models!
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote