Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 03-11-2017, 10:41 AM   #1
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Add extra namespace to html tag using EpubContainer

If I am using the standard calibre EpubContainer and I want to add an extra namespace into each <html> tag, what would be the best way to go about it? e.g.
Code:
container = get_container(path_to_epub)
for name in container.manifest_items_of_type(OEB_DOCS):
    root = container.parsed(name)

??? what comes next ???
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:54 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There's no direct way to modify namespaces in lxml. Instead you'd have to clone the tree, somethinf like

Code:
from calibre.ebooks.oeb.parse_utils import clone_element

nsmap = root.nsmap.copy()
nsmap['my namespace prefix'] = 'my namespace'
newroot = clone_element(root, nsmap, in_context=False)
container.replace(name, newroot)
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 11:19 AM   #3
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks I'd never have figured that one out by myself.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:01 PM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

With hindsight, perhaps I should have called this thread 'Tinkering with auto-shift EPUB2 to EPUB3 ...

I know calibre doesn't claim to fully support EPUB3 but I thought I'd see what I could achieve using the calibre EPUB3 functions which do exist. I'm nowhere near fully-conversant with the EPUB3 spec, but early tests have been quite encouraging insomuch as an EPUB2 with zero errors in Check Book usually results in an EPUB3 with zero errors in Check Book.

However, I did accidentally come across the following TOC anomaly when using one of my test EPUB2s so I thought I'd mention it. This particular epub has:
- zero errors in Check Book
- an NCX file with an empty <navmap> section

I auto-add the nav document using:
Code:
if not find_existing_nav_toc(container):
    toc = get_toc(container)
    commit_toc(container, toc)
and if I also want to auto-append the nav to the spine I can run
Code:
errors = run_checks(container)
if errors:
    fix_errors(container, errors)
For the EPUB2 with empty <navmap> this converts to a nav doc with
Code:
<body>
  <nav xmlns:ns0="http://www.idpf.org/2007/ops" ns0:type="toc"><ol></ol></nav>
</body>
which is 'correct'. However, If I now run Check Book it gives me a level 3 error 'Missing ToC in navigation document'.

For my purposes, I think I know how to auto-add a ToC item to avoid getting the error but, before I do, I thought I'd ask whether you'd consider the possibility of adding an extra auto-fix to the standard fix_errors() method?
Old 03-14-2017, 01:52 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The reason the fix_errors does not auto-add an entry is that having an empty ToC in a book is a bad thing, and the user should really create a proper toc, if I just have fix_errors() auto create an element lazy people will just use it instead of using the ToC Editor to create a proper toc.

Or, in other words, I dont want to encourage people to just end-run around the requirement for a toc.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:53 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Really the correct approach is to have check book flag the case of an empty NCX TOC as a warning as well.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:42 AM   #7
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Or, in other words, I dont want to encourage people to just end-run around the requirement for a toc.
Fair enough. I'd be amazed if any of my 'real life' epubs actually have an empty ToC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Really the correct approach is to have check book flag the case of an empty NCX TOC as a warning as well.
I think flagging some kind of error would be a good idea. From a personal POV I'd prefer it if the error level reported for EPUB2 was the same as that for EPUB3 when, in effect, "nothing should really change" as a result of a format-shift.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:34 PM   #8
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Still inching forward with EPUB2 to EPUB3 experimenting ...

I'm at the stage where I'm test format-shifting a larger number of error-free (in Check Book) EPUB2s to see what happens.

My first step was to make sure that Check Book also thinks the EPUB3 is error-free. Thankfully every book I've tried passed this test.

The second step was to run the EPUB3 through EpubCheck. I know you don't rate it highly but I thought it might at least highlight some extra 'problems' (meaningless or otherwise) which I might choose to fix during the shift if it can be done easily.

One of the first 'problems' I came across is with an EPUB2 which has 2 <dc:creator> tags, one for Author, the other for Translator:
Code:
<metadata xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" xmlns:opf="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf">
    <dc:creator opf:file-as="Adler-Olsen, Jussi" opf:role="aut">Jussi Adler-Olsen</dc:creator>
    <dc:creator opf:file-as="Hartford, Lisa" opf:role="trl">Lisa Hartford</dc:creator>
The format-shift seems to have handled the Author <dc:creator> OK but left the Translator one unchanged - which EpubCheck flags as 2 errors (1 each for opf:file-as, opf:role)
Code:
<metadata xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:dcterms="http://purl.org/dc/terms/" xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" xmlns:opf="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf">
    <dc:creator opf:file-as="Hartford, Lisa" opf:role="trl">Lisa Hartford</dc:creator>
    <dc:creator id="id-1">Jussi Adler-Olsen</dc:creator>
    <meta property="role" refines="#id-1" scheme="marc:relators">aut</meta>
    <meta property="file-as" refines="#id-1">Adler-Olsen, Jussi</meta>
Is this what you would expect to happen?

BTW, I also did a follow-up test where I changed the EPUB2's opf:role="trl" to a second opf:role="aut" before shifting to EPUB3. In that case both 'authors' had their <dc:creator> handled the same way and therefore no EpubCheck errors.

ETA: In case it's important, I used apply_metadata() from calibre.ebooks.metadata.opf3 to change the metadata from v2 to v3.

Last edited by jackie_w; 03-20-2017 at 10:43 PM. Reason: ETA
Old 03-20-2017, 11:27 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The code only handle's authors, i.e. opf:role="aut" entries -- others are left alone, as calibre does not know anything about them (it only has author metadata). I suppose one could create a translation from opf 2 role to epub 3 properties -- but since the purpose of the code is not upgrading epubs but making sure that setting metadata in epub 3 works, it's not implemented. If you want to implement it, you can do so in your plugin, it should not be too hard, see the code in metadata/opf3.py for inspiration.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:17 AM   #10
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks, I'll figure something out. At least I now know I wasn't doing anything wrong.

For my own books I don't really care whether the Translator metadata survives the process as I'll never use it. But I don't like the idea of leaving my metadata in a semi-converted state.