Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-28-2011, 06:53 PM   #1
bobbarkerissatan
bobbarkerissatan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bobbarkerissatan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bobbarkerissatan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: prs500
Alternative methods for installing packages?

It looks like my Kindle DX's select key is no longer functioning correctly. I was thinking of installing launchpad to remap the select key, but it would be impossible to install a package through the standard update method without the select key.

Is there any other way to install packages without going through the standard update method?

Thank you.
bobbarkerissatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:25 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Switching runlevels over SSH?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:49 PM   #3
bobbarkerissatan
bobbarkerissatan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bobbarkerissatan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bobbarkerissatan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Switching runlevels over SSH?
I was thinking that there might be a way to do this with SSH, but wouldn't I need to install the usbNetworking binary and do a system update to get it working? Problem is that I can't access the "system update" function on the kindle because the darn select key is broken.

Also, I would need to select the ; at some point to enter debug mode. I can bring up the symbols, but I can't select a symbol.

Last edited by bobbarkerissatan; 09-28-2011 at 08:53 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:41 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@bobbarkerissatan: Do you have any hack installed right now?
Old 09-29-2011, 12:38 AM   #5
bobbarkerissatan

Quote:
@bobbarkerissatan: Do you have any hack installed right now?
I used to, but I did a factory reset on the device, thinking this might fix the issue.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:43 PM   #6
dasmoover
Connoisseur
dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle 3 WIFI
If you place the update bin in the root of the mounted FAT32 fs and reboot the Kindle, the update will automatically be applied.
dasmoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:54 PM   #7
bobbarkerissatan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmoover View Post
If you place the update bin in the root of the mounted FAT32 fs and reboot the Kindle, the update will automatically be applied.
I gave this a try with the jailbreak. Unfortunately it just gives me "The update was not successful" screen. Note: this is not the U006 error page.

I think I might be up a creek without a paddle on this one.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:42 PM   #8
dasmoover
Connoisseur
dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle 3 WIFI
A factory reset does not remove the jailbreak keys.
dasmoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:40 AM   #9
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@bobbarkerissatan: Which hacks did you have installed? (a factory reset won't uninstall them, just break/disable most of them).
Old 10-04-2011, 03:36 PM   #10
bobbarkerissatan

Quote:
@bobbarkerissatan: Which hacks did you have installed? (a factory reset won't uninstall them, just break/disable most of them).
Thank you for working with me guys.

I had an older version of Duokan running. For a time I had the screensaver hack running, but used the uninstall package to remove it. The funny thing is I could actually read books with the Doukan OS because the OS allows you to select and open books with the number keys. If I could go back to Doukan then I'd at least be able to read on the device.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:27 PM   #11
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@bobbarkerissatan: Which jailbreak did you use, and is it still installed?
Old 10-07-2011, 12:49 PM   #12
bobbarkerissatan

Quote:
@bobbarkerissatan: Which jailbreak did you use, and is it still installed?
It was one of the earliest jailbreaks when jailbreaking was needed with one of 2.x updates (wish I could remember which update but I can't access the system info page without select). I'm trying to find the thread that had the jailbreak that I used if that would make it easier.

Edit: I think I found my firmware version, 2.5.2, which is when they first introduced collections. Now I'm trying to find the thread with the jailbreak I used.

Edit #2: I want to believe that this is the one I installed, but I'm not absolutely positive.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...04&postcount=2

Last edited by bobbarkerissatan; 10-07-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:59 PM   #13
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@bobbarkerissatan: I'm not familiar with Duokan/if they leave anything useful behind after an uninstall, but what I can say is that the 2.5 jailbreaks won't help us there. So, err, doesn't sound like there's much you can do about it on the software side of things.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-10-2011 at 09:54 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:55 PM   #14
bobbarkerissatan

Quote:
@bobbarkerissatan: I'm not familiar with Duakoan/if they leave anything useful behind after an uninstall, but what I can say is that the 2.5 jailbreaks won't help us there. So, err, doesn't sound like there's much you can do about it on the software side of things.
Thanks for giving it a shot anyways. I never really uninstalled the Duakon install, just did a factory reset which I guess broke the install since it boots directly to the kindle OS now.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:24 PM   #15
superium
superium began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
if you've installed usbnetwork,you'll have the shell to access the system. then you can install your updatepackages by hand. you may use kindle_update_tool.py to extract the updatepackages, and then analyze the install code. and do it by hand.

if you don't have the shell, you may try this: hold the powerkey for at least 15s, when it restart ,it may do the update itself.

to solve the problem of five-way keys, you may try to replace the drivers under the kernerl dir.

wish this may help you.
superium is offline   Reply With Quote