Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #1
Gilmartin
Zealot
Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PW2
PW wi-fi no longer available on Amazon UK

But the more expensive 3g model is still there. Does this mean that the PW2 is due soon or have they just run out of stock?
Nobody apart from Amazon knows the answer, but I'm inclined towards a supply issue. New Kindles tend to appear in the UK long after their US release so supply/stock issues seem likelier to me.
Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:00 PM   #2
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Hmm...that's interesting. The Kindle Paperwhite Wi-Fi with Special Offers is currently out of stock in the U.S. The product page states: "In stock on August 31, 2013." The wi-fi Paperwhite without special offers is currently available here.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2013, 06:39 PM   #3
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
Hmm...that's interesting. The Kindle Paperwhite Wi-Fi with Special Offers is currently out of stock in the U.S. The product page states: "In stock on August 31, 2013." The wi-fi Paperwhite without special offers is currently available here.
Heh... that's even more interesting, because all Kindles (with or without SO) carry the exact same firmware. The "should I show ads?" status is only set once the Kindle is registered by phoning home to Amazon. In essence, it's a simple flag stored in Amazon's database.

It's purely a software setting, and one that doesn't even need initialization. Why one version would be available while the other one isn't - well, that's beyond my logic.

PS: Yes, I'm aware that Amazon also ships "pre-registered" Kindles. I don't know how exactly that works, but I assume that it's simply something like "boot the device once, request owner/SO information, shut down". It boils down to the same as above, with one intermediate step before shipping.

Last edited by ixtab; 08-25-2013 at 07:06 PM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:34 PM   #4
tovare
Addict
tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle kb Wifi, new Kindle NT, PW2, Kindle Oasis
Cool, On the wifi-version i get:

Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

I'm crossing fingers for a 6.8 inch paperwhite II for christmass.

Last edited by tovare; 08-25-2013 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Update
tovare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:49 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's in stock again at Amazon UK. Panic over .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2013, 07:03 AM   #6
jeffyen
Connoisseur
jeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Heh... that's even more interesting, because all Kindles (with or without SO) carry the exact same firmware. The "should I show ads?" status is only set once the Kindle is registered by phoning home to Amazon. In essence, it's a simple flag stored in Amazon's database.

It's purely a software setting, and one that doesn't even need initialization. Why one version would be available while the other one isn't - well, that's beyond my logic.

PS: Yes, I'm aware that Amazon also ships "pre-registered" Kindles. I don't know how exactly that works, but I assume that it's simply something like "boot the device once, request owner/SO information, shut down". It boils down to the same as above, with one intermediate step before shipping.
I can confirm that the with-ads version is 'short in supply' this past month and amazon has a very strict purchasing limit (so strict that multiple orders were cancelled and account closure raised for the too determined). I think it may be a business decision, to push more to buy the $20-version. The Japanese store has the same policy (1 only and strictly Japanese buyers), and I heard the Chinese store too for a number of months...

All the WiFi models are now not selling at the US store, with no indication of re-supplies!

Last edited by jeffyen; 08-27-2013 at 07:35 AM.
jeffyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:23 AM   #7
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Amazon France and Spain have been out of PW Wifi for over a month now.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:02 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

WARNING: I'm not starting a rumor, just making an observation.

It was early September (the 6th perhaps?) 2012 when Amazon announced the release of the PW. I have no clue if that is significant for 2013 or not, but 'tis the season wherein Amazon traditionally announces new toys.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:24 PM   #9
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Yes, it was September 6th 2012. I think the bloggers that are lamenting the end of the e-ink Kindles are trying to generate something....page views? Controversy? Panic? No way is Amazon getting out of the e-ink Kindle business. Didn't the Kindle Touch run out last year about this time, right before the announcement of a press conference? I believe so.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:27 PM   #10
duydangle
Connoisseur
duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW|PW3
Hello everybody, I'm new here. Currently I am hoping for new Kindle Paperwhite II. Kindle Paperwhite is an excellent product and I am owning one. When I got the second one, I get "uneven lighting" and then I found out that this is one of the most popular problems of Kindle Paperwhite.

I hope Kindle Paperwhite II can fix this .
duydangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:41 PM   #11
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I'm hoping for amazon's version of the kobo aura.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:47 PM   #12
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyen View Post
All the WiFi models are now not selling at the US store, with no indication of re-supplies!
Yes, that is interesting. It's not just out of stock at the US Amazon store, it was completely removed. When you go to the main Kindle page and even the Kindle comparison page, the only PaperWhite that exists is the 3G one.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:10 PM   #13
Oletros
Connoisseur
Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
Yes, that is interesting. It's not just out of stock at the US Amazon store, it was completely removed. When you go to the main Kindle page and even the Kindle comparison page, the only PaperWhite that exists is the 3G one.
It's the same in Italy and Spain, there is only the PW 3G, the Wifi model has totally dissapeared
Oletros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:05 PM   #14
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
The packaging is different, and the device knows "out of the box" that it's not a special offers version.
twowheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:43 PM   #15
mollie38
Connoisseur
mollie38 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs505 Kindle 3gwifi
Oh, think I will hold on a bit longer my sony pr505 has finally given up on me, so was about to order a kindle, just came on the forum to get an idea of which one to buy, as I do fancy the PW but will wait a while longer before I purchase one.
mollie38 is offline   Reply With Quote