Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-06-2018, 09:29 PM   #2671
knc1
Analog Forever!
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
"Nothing is done with them" ???
In response to what??
Your triggering MrPI from its KUAL menu entry??
Your triggering MrPI from is search bar command:
;log mrpi
??(the semi-colon is part of the command).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2018, 06:18 PM   #2672
grant3
grant3 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
"Nothing is done with them" ???
In response to what??
Your triggering MrPI from its KUAL menu entry??
Your triggering MrPI from is search bar command:
;log mrpi
??(the semi-colon is part of the command).
Nothing is done in response to restarting my Kindle.

I cannot find KUAL listed as one of my books. Looking in the KUAL thread it appears it's disabled in 5.9.x versions until the fine developers here can make a new version

I don't know about this search bar command though it's not in the install instructions? I typed ";log mrpi" into the search bar and still no change.

probably i should wait for the new KUAL version to be ready
grant3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:07 AM   #2673
doctorat
doctorat began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 2
Hi! I have SS Hack on PW3 with 5.8.11 firmware. Jailbreaked, latest KUAL, MrPI, python with latest versions from "Snapshots of NiLuJe's hacks", and modified kfxmeta.py by knc1. Have the SS in cover mode but instead of book cover it just shows what's on the screen when I put it to sleep?
doctorat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:06 AM   #2674
knc1
Analog Forever!
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What of the troubleshooting things listed in the first post have you tried?
Has the ss add-in ever worked on this device?
If yes, what has changed since then?
Old 02-14-2018, 06:09 AM   #2675
grant3

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant3 View Post
These instructions are really confusing me.

1. My Kindle Voyage doesn't have an "Update Your Kindle" option as described
2. I do have KUAL + MRPI installed, but the link doesn't explain how to use it to install the screen saver hack
3. What is the point of the Python file? Do I need that when I just want custom screensavers?
Ok I finally dug up what had to happen:
  1. put Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14_nomax_install.bin in the kindle root directory
  2. This enables the "update kindle" menu option. Use to install the hotfix
  3. put the "booklet" version of Kual (Update_KUALBooklet_v2.7_install.bin) in the mrpackages directory on the kindle
  4. type ";log mrpi" into the kindle's search bar to install the booklet version of kual
  5. use the newly-visible kual book on my kindle to install the Update_linkss_0.24.N_install_pw2_kt2_kv_pw3_koa_kt 3.bin
Old 02-14-2018, 09:06 AM   #2676
knc1
Analog Forever!

And if that does not work on your device / firmware version combination:
6. Follow the directions in this thread to replace just the KUALbooklet.jar file and report the results there:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=294765
Old 02-15-2018, 09:24 PM   #2677
grant3

My python install seems frozen for about an hour:

Code:
* python 0.14.N I WARIO+ *
 Running install.sh . . .
    Progress: 50/100
Am I just impatient?

Can I reset the kindle by long-pressing the power button and trying again?

Edit:

Went ahead with a hard reset, and had a few failed attempts to install.

I figured out the MrPi log files, and apparently kindle was saying a .zx archive inside the .bin was corrupted.

So I downloaded the latest python from Nijules snapshot page and that one worked.

Last edited by grant3; Yesterday at 01:38 AM.
Old Yesterday, 10:48 AM   #2678
kiliimanjaro
kiliimanjaro began at the beginning.

Device: PW1
I'm on a Kindle PW1, software version 5.6.1.1.

I downgraded last night to 5.4.4 to jailbreak. I installed KUAL and MRPI with no issues and then updated my kindle back to 5.6.1.1 with no problems. I then Installed the N-r14393 screensaver plugin and it worked fine.

Problem is when I added a couple more screensavers this morning and turned the kindle off it just displays the last screen upon lock, not any screensaver.

I haven't changed anything between then and now so im not sure why this has happened.

any ideas?
kiliimanjaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:54 AM   #2679
knc1
Analog Forever!

Please define: "worked fine"
Specifically in contrast with what it is doing now.

What part of the first post's trouble shooting have you done?
With what results at each step?

(I don't use this add-in, so you have to walk me through all of the details)
Old Yesterday, 11:06 AM   #2680
kiliimanjaro

Quote:
Please define: "worked fine"
Specifically in contrast with what it is doing now.

What part of the first post's trouble shooting have you done?
With what results at each step?

(I don't use this add-in, so you have to walk me through all of the details)
By worked fine I mean worked as intended. My Kindle was displaying my custom screensavers as it supposed to do. What it is doing now is not showing my custom screensavers but instead showing the last screen that the kindle was displaying before putting it to sleep. The only thing I have done between it working and not working was add a couple more images to the screensavers folder (10 images total).

I have went through the troubleshooting and for the issue I am having and it seems that It happens if my images aren't of the correct dimensions, which they are so that doesn't seem to be the problem.

Edit*
I uninstalled the screensaver plugin and reinstalled it via KUAL and it seems to be working again, but I suspect that it will happen again.

Last edited by kiliimanjaro; Yesterday at 11:28 AM.
Old Yesterday, 11:34 AM   #2681
knc1
Analog Forever!

Did you re-install both the screen saver add-in and the python add-in ?
Did you use the ones posted in NiLuJe's snapshot thread?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225030

Your description sounds like an answer of "no" to one or both of the above questions.
Old Yesterday, 12:09 PM   #2682
kiliimanjaro

Quote:
Did you re-install both the screen saver add-in and the python add-in ?
Did you use the ones posted in NiLuJe's snapshot thread?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225030

Your description sounds like an answer of "no" to one or both of the above questions.
Actually my answer is 'yes' to both of those questions.

Thanks though.
Old Yesterday, 12:13 PM   #2683
knc1
Analog Forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiliimanjaro View Post
Actually my answer is 'yes' to both of those questions.

Thanks though.
Then it is something specific to your Kindle and the add-ins.
What book types?
Did you re-install the kfx fix?
(I don't think that fix made it into the most recent builds. I seem to recall NiLuJe mentioning that last winter.)

There are a lot of PW-1 devices out there, 5.6.1.1 has been in use for a long time and we have not been swamped with similar failure reports.
Old Yesterday, 01:51 PM   #2684
kiliimanjaro

Quote:
Then it is something specific to your Kindle and the add-ins.
What book types?
Did you re-install the kfx fix?
(I don't think that fix made it into the most recent builds. I seem to recall NiLuJe mentioning that last winter.)

There are a lot of PW-1 devices out there, 5.6.1.1 has been in use for a long time and we have not been swamped with similar failure reports.
The only plugins I have on my device are KUAL, MRPI and the screensaver one.

I'm sorry but I don't know what you mean by book types and the kfx fix? The only books I use are from the amazon store or borrowed through libby via amazon. I don't side load any books. If you are referring to the format then they will be whatever the standard is for kindle these days.
Old Yesterday, 02:00 PM   #2685
knc1
Analog Forever!

On the index page of this forum -
On the index line for this thread -
Right end of the center column -
Little blue box "attachments" -
Click it.
From the list given, download kfxmeta.zip -
Install by un-zipping to topmost, visible level of usb storage -
being certain that your un-zip tool is set to create directory levels in the archive and not to change the line endings.

You could also search this thread for "kfxmeta" or other likely terms to find the directions.
(I only write this stuff, finding it after I post it is not part of my job description. )

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch