Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-18-2020, 10:03 AM   #16
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
getting this through various protections ( win 10) is a hassle
first, chrome warns don't download it
then windows warns don't run the installer
then it fails anyway because panda Av has helpfully quarantined a component...
would it be better packaged as an .msi ?
( I am trying to use the win 64 exe , from the 21 download options, as that seemed the best choice ? )
It's not an installer. That's the program itself and it's self-contained.

On Windows 10, I think you just need to Right-Click -> Properties -> Unblock to stop getting that stupid warning every time you run it.

Dunno about Panda AV. Probably flagged it as a false positive. Didn't have an issue with kepubify on built-in Windows antivirus.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 01-18-2020 at 10:05 AM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 10:16 AM   #17
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
It's not an installer. That's the program itself and it's self-contained.
yes, did not realise that at first. so it will need command line arguments ?

I guess it's time to RTFM, if I can find one
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2020, 10:39 AM   #18
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
yes, did not realise that at first. so it will need command line arguments ?

I guess it's time to RTFM, if I can find one
The manual is pretty much on the first post.

Played with it some and cobbled together some batch files.
  1. Extract the kepubify folder wherever you like.
  2. Put the EPUB files to be converted in the kepubify\epub folder. Note: kepubify will check all subdirectories so it doesn't have to be a flat structure. For example, it will work with the following Save to disk template:
    Quote:
    {authors}\{series}\{series}{series_number:| | - }{title} - {authors}
  3. Run one of the batch files (there's normal and fullscreen-reading-fixes for both 32 and 64 bit versions).
  4. The KEPUB files (with Kobo-compatible .kepub.epub extension) will be in the kepubify\kepub folder.
Attached Files
File Type: zip kepubify-3.0.0.zip (2.35 MB, 381 views)
Old 01-18-2020, 11:01 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
have you actually checked if firefox warns of it being unsafe ?

also, its windows security ( the smart somethign or other ) that says "don't run it "

maybe there's nothing a small indie developer can do to avoid suspicion?
There is no issue with Firefox downloading it. Also, WIndows Security does not say it's unsafe to run. The thing is, it's the other programs that have an issue where there is none. So I would get rid of them for program that actually work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 11:04 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
panda av ( not on that virustotal page) reported it as suspicious but maybe only because it did not recognize the name
my "removed from quarantine" entry says
kepubify-windows-64bit (unknown name)

malwarebytes pro did not flag it

i guessed it might be an unsigned code issue- calibre still has the same problem sometimes.

its not a problem so long as windows don't make it any harder to run unsigned code
& I think chrome disapproves on principle of anyone downloading anything.exe
Given that Panda AV also thinks Calibre is a problem, I would dump Panda AV. It's not worth bothering with given that it doesn't work properly.
Advert
Old 01-18-2020, 11:07 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Is there an option for kepubify to turn on kerning? If not, can such be added?
Old 01-18-2020, 12:14 PM   #22
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
have you actually checked if firefox warns of it being unsafe ?

also, its windows security ( the smart somethign or other ) that says "don't run it "

maybe there's nothing a small indie developer can do to avoid suspicion ?
I downloaded the executables with Firefox and no warnings. As for the Windows security warning, yes, it is from Windows and is standard for packages that have not been executed often enough. I've attached an image from after I clicked the more info link in the popup to get the Run anyway button.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Windows_protected.png
Views:	321
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	176520  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 12:41 PM   #23
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
This is probably an absolute novice error, but I am getting author and title reversed on every kepub version when I add back into Calibre the kepub version I have generated: so, Calibre sees it as a completely new and different book.

Any idea as to what I am doing incorrectly?
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 12:45 PM   #24
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by church mouse View Post
This is probably an absolute novice error, but I am getting author and title reversed on every kepub version when I add back into Calibre the kepub version I have generated: so, Calibre sees it as a completely new and different book.

Any idea as to what I am doing incorrectly?
Quick guess, Calibre is reading the author/title from the filename instead of from epub metadata. You need to change that in Calibre Preferences.
Old 01-18-2020, 02:01 PM   #25
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Quick guess, Calibre is reading the author/title from the filename instead of from epub metadata. You need to change that in Calibre Preferences.
Do you mean the Calibre adding file option "read metadata from file contents"? If so, sadly that makes no difference either way, or is it some other option somewhere else within the Calibre config?

Edit - actually, I think it may be the regular expression I have been using for adding books. I am looking at that now.

Thank you so much for pointing me in the right place and reminding this ageing brain of things done some time ago.

Last edited by church mouse; 01-18-2020 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Update
Old 01-18-2020, 02:20 PM   #26
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
FYI. Since I made that post you quoted, there is now another option you could use.

I don't know whether you're a kobopatch user but, if so, there's a patch available which will equalise the font-sizes in epub and kepub at the device level without needing to adjust font-size in each individual kepub. It's the one named 'ePub uniform font scale' in libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml.

Not all Kobo models have the epub/kepub font-size mismatch (e.g. KA1, Forma don't have it). If you only have one Kobo device it doesn't really matter which option you choose, but for users with multiple Kobo models kobopatch is the more flexible option because you could use the same saved kepubs on all devices.
Thanks for the tip!

I only patched for 'Both page turn sides go next' and because of the Libra H2O's physical buttons+auto-rotate, I didn't need to do that. Enabled the 'ePub uniform font scale' patch on the Glo HD and Libra H2O and it's been working beautifully.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:32 PM   #27
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by church mouse View Post
Do you mean the Calibre adding file option "read metadata from file contents"? If so, sadly that makes no difference either way, or is it some other option somewhere else within the Calibre config?

Edit - actually, I think it may be the regular expression I have been using for adding books. I am looking at that now.

Thank you so much for pointing me in the right place and reminding this ageing brain of things done some time ago.
You need to install the KePub Metadata Reader plugin. Otherwise calibre doesn't know how to get metadata from a kepub. Without it, it falls back to the regex.

And install the KePub Metadata Writer plugin at the same time. That allows calibre to update the metadata in the books when needed.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 04:51 AM   #28
church mouse
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
You need to install the KePub Metadata Reader plugin. Otherwise calibre doesn't know how to get metadata from a kepub. Without it, it falls back to the regex.

And install the KePub Metadata Writer plugin at the same time. That allows calibre to update the metadata in the books when needed.
Thank you for the advice.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:22 PM   #29
toancv
Connoisseur
toancv began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite, Likebook Mars, Kobo Aura Ed. 2, Kobo Touch
Quote:

On Windows 10, I think you just need to Right-Click -> Properties -> Unblock to stop getting that stupid warning every time you run it.
Where exactly the "Unblock" option. I could find nowhere. I am Windows 10. Thanks!
toancv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 10:23 PM   #30
toancv
Connoisseur
toancv began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite, Likebook Mars, Kobo Aura Ed. 2, Kobo Touch
I am using the exe file on Windows 10. I use drag and drop method for ease. But the new file name always has "comverted". Can I remove this "word" for every time converting? Thanks!
toancv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, epub, kepub, kepubify