after the Iliad, PRS-505 and PRS-700).

What I noticed the other day was that my K2 was telling me that I only had
1.4G of space left. I had bought only a few books and thought this was odd
so I plugged the device into my Mac to look at it as a USB drive. It turns
out that although Amazon advertize the box as having 2G that must include
the space for the OS and supporting files. The available space on the
device is really 1.4G, of which I've only used 30M. Although I don't anticipate
this being a problem before the next version comes out, in a year or so,
I was none too pleased to find this out after buying the device.
gv3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 01:17 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
GV3, under 'technical details' on the main Amazon Kindle page, it lists '

Storage: 2GB internal (approximately 1.4GB available for user content).

Here's the site
http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Amazons...pf_rd_i=507846
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:50 PM   #3
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Yeah, but you gotta admit that's pretty misleading. It's one thing when you get a 500 gb computer and 40 gigs are used by the system. It's another thing when you get a 2 gb device and a FOURTH of it's small space is used by the system.

But, at least books are tiny! More than enough space for me... still kinda stinky of Amazon, though.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:53 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
Yeah, but you gotta admit that's pretty misleading. It's one thing when you get a 500 gb computer and 40 gigs are used by the system. It's another thing when you get a 2 gb device and a FOURTH of it's small space is used by the system.

But, at least books are tiny! More than enough space for me... still kinda stinky of Amazon, though.
Not misleading at all. Clearly states the amount available for user content.

On this, Amazon is "up front"
Old 03-16-2009, 02:58 PM   #5
Pruitt
Pruitt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Yeah, I read that on the Amazon Kindle page prior to pre-purchasing my Kindle 2. This was not something they hid from us.
Pruitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 03:27 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
IIRC starting with the initial press conference they've been saying 2GB with approx. 1.4 available for user content.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:34 AM   #7
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Nevertheless, the "1500 books" estimate seems accurate... conservative, if anything, unless you want to have 1500 copies of _War and Peace_.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:00 PM   #8
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Nevertheless, the "1500 books" estimate seems accurate... conservative, if anything, unless you want to have 1500 copies of _War and Peace_.
Depends -- on book size, obviously (I have quite a few quite large ebooks) -- and don't forget the space that is used for indexing each book.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:09 PM   #9
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
They have an operating system, so of course its not going to give you 2 full Gs.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:15 PM   #10
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

The reason for stating 2GB storage is simple marketing. Personally, I just back up everything I can to my computer hard drive and swap as needed.
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 05:39 PM   #11
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
Depends -- on book size, obviously (I have quite a few quite large ebooks) -- and don't forget the space that is used for indexing each book.
Right now I have 800 books loaded. 450MB used for books. 250MB used for music. 200MB used for indexing. 500MB free. If I delete the music and loaded up entirely on books, assuming indexing is linear with the size of the books, that'll get me right at 1500 books.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:12 PM   #12
demoric
Kindle 2 User
demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I would prefer expandable memory, but in my opinion 1.4 gb of space for books is just fine. If you want alot of audio books or music though it's not enough.

My big problem with the Kindle is the lack of a better system for organization. I would prefer user defined categories (or folder based) structure.

I really don't understand WHY they removed the memory card slot though. It can't take up that much room, and from what I've seen there is a section on the circuit board already laid out for it.
demoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:14 PM   #13
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by demoric View Post
I would prefer expandable memory, but in my opinion 1.4 gb of space for books is just fine. If you want alot of audio books or music though it's not enough.

My big problem with the Kindle is the lack of a better system for organization. I would prefer user defined categories (or folder based) structure.

I really don't understand WHY they removed the memory card slot though. It can't take up that much room, and from what I've seen there is a section on the circuit board already laid out for it.
Supposedly, thats for a "sim" card
Old 03-18-2009, 06:17 PM   #14
KindleKat
Connoisseur
KindleKat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by gv3 View Post
Howdy,

One of my biggest worries in buying a K2 was that it had no way to expand
the memory from the advertised two gigabytes that are built in. I tend to
store a lot of documents on my e-readers (this is the fourth in our house,
after the Iliad, PRS-505 and PRS-700).

What I noticed the other day was that my K2 was telling me that I only had
1.4G of space left. I had bought only a few books and thought this was odd
so I plugged the device into my Mac to look at it as a USB drive. It turns
out that although Amazon advertize the box as having 2G that must include
the space for the OS and supporting files. The available space on the
device is really 1.4G, of which I've only used 30M. Although I don't anticipate
this being a problem before the next version comes out, in a year or so,
I was none too pleased to find this out after buying the device.
This is how most companies advertise their storage capacity. I can't think of a device that doesn't do it like this
KindleKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:31 PM   #15
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Right now I have 800 books loaded. 450MB used for books. 250MB used for music. 200MB used for indexing. 500MB free. If I delete the music and loaded up entirely on books, assuming indexing is linear with the size of the books, that'll get me right at 1500 books.
I have 405 books that take up about 800 GB (including index files) on my K1 SD card.

Vive la différence!
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote