Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-28-2013, 12:49 AM   #196
toronado
Addict
toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedpeer View Post
I don't know, but I think the current generation iPad with proper PDFs can currently replace textbooks.

What is it that you think this combination can't do?
Well obviously they are doing it now, and the high resolution works well for this. But a larger screen would reduce the amount of panning and zooming.

The cockpit appears cluttered already, so finding the space for a larger, built-in screen might be an issue, but if the engineers go back to the drawing board and design the cockpit with that in mind, it could be done.

As far as textbooks, there is resistance from the publishers, and that is getting in the way, but I would want a larger screen than what the current iPad offers.
toronado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:17 PM   #197
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Should have probably waited three more days for posting this

Video
http://www.plasticlogic.com/news/?it...MxNjAxNDcwMQ==

According to the lady in the video above, this folding 15.4" e-ink flexible reader (two 10.7" screens joined together) is expected to hit the road in about two months time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YzBo...layer_embedded

Spec.
http://www.plasticlogic.com/applications/

Last edited by markom; 03-28-2013 at 09:56 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:17 AM   #198
toronado
Addict
toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is this the same company behind the ill-fated QUE? That was (going to be) a HUGE eInk tablet.

This folding flexible display they are showing is even bigger. MUCH bigger. I want something that big. :-)

Last edited by toronado; 03-29-2013 at 03:25 AM.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:39 AM   #199
Huyggy
Zealot
Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Onyx Max 3 & Onyx Lumi 2
@Tedpeer :No, iPad can't replace textbook.

I guess you aren't working in a scientific field where all the papers, textbooks are "large", A4 size, i.e from an iPad point of view.
It doesn't seem to change a lot of thing and people think you only have to zoom in, zoom now, back and forth. But when the paper in question requires all your attention, it's very distracting.

And I don't write about the intrinsic problems of the tablet per se where you can't shuffle so quickly between pages, going from one-two pages before, and coming back... Yeah, you can do that by putting bookmark each time on each page you are currently reading than erasing them etc... but it's not so good.

Last edited by Huyggy; 03-29-2013 at 03:41 AM. Reason: Toronado is posting like storm :D
Huyggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:48 AM   #200
toronado
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huyggy View Post
And I don't write about the intrinsic problems of the tablet per se where you can't shuffle so quickly between pages, going from one-two pages before, and coming back... Yeah, you can do that by putting bookmark each time on each page you are currently reading than erasing them etc... but it's not so good.
Using two tablets/iPads side-by-side would at least address that problem. But screen size is still an issue.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:11 AM   #201
BoldlyDubious
what if...?
BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: paper & electrophoretic
The two-screen Plastic Logic "showcase" is very impressive, though it seems to me that a real-world product design based on it would need quite a bit of engineering to actually be durable enough. I don't expect to see something like that on the market quickly and/or cheaply. Sigh.

On the other hand, provided that the price of the 10,7" display is reasonable, producing a 200 $/€ 10,7" e-reader weighing 0,5kg and built on a semi-rigid back seems pretty straightforward. I think such a product would have a definite appeal: at the very least, to people who read a lot of large-format material (academics, businessmen, ....) and currently have to choose between fatiguing backlit LCDs or heavy paper.
I would certainly buy one!

BTW: if I'm not wrong, neither the spec sheet nor the videos show touchscreen capabilities (maybe they are not compatible with flexibility?). I'd say that for a 10,7" display this is not an issue: once white margins are removed, it can show a Letter/A4 page at nearly full size, so no need for zoom-and-pan (which, for what concerns e-readers, is the only thing at which touchscreens are actually better than physical buttons).
BoldlyDubious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:15 AM   #202
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Would it work if the publishers from the beginning created a layout for the iPad? Or would a page like that be too small for practical usage?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:28 AM   #203
Koda
Connoisseur
Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.

Device: 13" E-ink reader
Plasti logic vaporware again? The guys on the left says 5 to 10 years.. the lady just a couple of months. Also what is the use of a double screen... If you want to do something new and usefull just make a real A4 size color thing
Koda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:04 AM   #204
petrucci
Groupie
petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There has been tons of such vaporware over the past decade. My question is who is paying these people to make it? Are they doing the project on spec and hoping that a big company buys the idea?

In any case, if a company does release an e-ink reader that is at least as large as an A4 sheet of paper, I will buy one.
petrucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:32 PM   #205
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by toronado View Post
Is this the same company behind the ill-fated QUE? That was (going to be) a HUGE eInk tablet.

This folding flexible display they are showing is even bigger. MUCH bigger. I want something that big. :-)
Yep, but this time they should name it HUE, at least the colored one, so that all of us can shout and cry after it shedding wistful tears as in "hue and cry".

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldlyDubious View Post

BTW: if I'm not wrong, neither the spec sheet nor the videos show touchscreen capabilities (maybe they are not compatible with flexibility?). I'd say that for a 10,7" display this is not an issue: once white margins are removed, it can show a Letter/A4 page at nearly full size, so no need for zoom-and-pan (which, for what concerns e-readers, is the only thing at which touchscreens are actually better than physical buttons).
They say there in Additional options:

Tailor-made display sizes and pixel densities; surface finish; touch sensor; front-lighting.

Last year they showed lighted one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AnlRZ9Ohjs

If somebody decides that 10.7" is to big for him, no problem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWVwDGrWjHs

Last edited by markom; 03-29-2013 at 01:55 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:59 PM   #206
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koda View Post
Plasti logic vaporware again? The guys on the left says 5 to 10 years.. the lady just a couple of months.
He is saying the multipage computing environment is something like 5-10 years away. she is saying a consumer product from another company using their flexible display technology is a few months out.

Quote:
Also what is the use of a double screen... If you want to do something new and usefull just make a real A4 size color thing
so many uses for the double screen- referencing two pages from the same or even separate sources at the same time, an article on one side with a map/picture/diagram/graph on the other, showing a larger format like a newspaper front page over both sides held vertically and then twon inside pages when you turn it horizontally etc etc
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:49 AM   #207
Huyggy
Zealot
Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

My FamilyPad2 was received just yesterday morning!

I'm still trying that so I can't really do a complete review.

My first interest was reading technical large-size papers, then magazines, comics/manga...

So at first I had to choose the perfect PDF reader for that. I've tried 5 of them with the best advises and finally, I found EbookDroid the best of them!
You can crop pages (automatically) and scroll from one pages to another WITHOUT losing the cropping. you can flip horizontally in just one touch, the book library on the shelf is very pleasant (you can even change the thumbnail images), you can bookmark very easily, etc... and it's free

That done, let's speak about the device per se.
The screen size is really its bigget asset. If you crop just a little the white interval (found in all the technical papers, magazines), the pages fits exactly in the screen, without zooming.
The CPU makes the pages flipping instantly (For that, you have to change a little the settings in Ebookdroid to make it load 16 pages constantly in memory). Absolutely no waiting time between pages in your reading is really comfortable (I had a Eink Pocketbook pro 903 reader so I can say that reading heavy articles with graphs, images can be annoying on this).
And it's fanless! I am really relieved after the Asus Tablet PC that I had too!

For the moment the disadvantages of this device are already known so no real surprises here:
You can feel the 1.3kg if you're holding the screen not resting on table. Personally, I always read books resting on my legs, bed, table, holding only the top side to keep the equilibrium. so I don't really feel the weight even after long reading period.
It's not a retina screen: After all, the FamilyPad2 costs "only" 300€. So you can't watch HD movie in their exact beauty if you are sideways. Even ebooks, It's better to put the Familypad not completly horizontal on the table (the prop shipped with the device is quite handy for that but only suitable when reading in landscape mode)
Unfortunately it's not a 4:3 screen but 16:9 but it seems to be the norm now for most of android tablets sadly.

In conclusion, I am satisfied by the Familypad2. It is suited to my needs of a large size PDF reader which can : run very smoothly heavy A4 PDFs, and especially WITHOUT noise.
If you have these types of needs, I think you won't have any bad surprises with the Familypad2. and for not a so large amount of money...

Last edited by Huyggy; 03-30-2013 at 05:21 AM.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:26 AM   #208
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Quote:
I'm still trying that so I can't really do a complete review. My first interest was reading technical large-size papers, then magazines, comics/manga...
Is there an online user manual?
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:59 AM   #209
Huyggy
Zealot

Apparently yes: here (same than the printed manual provided)
Old 03-30-2013, 05:13 PM   #210
toronado
Addict

Quote:

I'm still trying that so I can't really do a complete review.
That was fast. Thanks for posting your first impressions. It is an interesting device, considering that a non-retina MacBook Pro has the exact same screen size and resolution.

It's great that it is fanless. Though that shouldn't be so surprising considering that all Android tablets are fanless AFAIK.

How are the viewing angles? Heat development during use?

Are you going to make a YouTube video review?

Last edited by toronado; 03-30-2013 at 05:16 PM.