Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 12-05-2012, 05:50 PM   #1
LuceBianchi
LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook 1st Edition
A rather specific type of Writer's Block

Hello, everyone. I have a specific type of writer's block, and it's annoying me.

Before I get to it, some possibly relevant information on my writing style. I don't actually write stories, by my definition. They come to me, and I put the words on paper. Every time I have tried writing without this elusive muse, the result has sounded forced. I still haven't managed to improve these stories to the point where I'm satisfied.

I have a story I want to write. I have the important story events written down and ordered. I can't think of sentences to show these events, and the words won't come. My muse is silent.

What are your thoughts on overcoming writer's block in this situation?

Thanks, everybody.
LuceBianchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:29 PM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
It sounds like you're talking about "stream of consciousness" rather than the standard fiction outline. Have you been concentrating hard on the project? If so you might just need to take a day or so to rest and let the well refill. Or you could try visualization. Try seeing yourself in place of the character. What do you see, smell, feel, etc. in the setting where the character is. Does it start out as a good day for the character? If so what happens to change that? By asking yourself such questions you might find yourself better able to articulate what you are trying to say. For example say the character gets a flat tire on the way to a business meeting. You have it down that this event happens. Things like the rough feel of the tires, smell of oil, sounds of traffic, heat of the sun etc. might lead to something like:

John could feel the hot afternoon sun beating down on him causing sweat to stain his shirt, not that it would matter as the rough, dirty rubber of the tire he was trying to change had already caused more than enough damage. He'd left his jacket in the car to avoid staining it but that hadn't kept his shirt from suffering its own damage. All he'd need would be to split his pants and it would be a total disaster. There was no way he'd be able to make that 2pm appointment now anyway. He couldn't even call the auto club as his cell phone was dead, and the traffic was streaming by, a constantly changing symphony of noise.

Last edited by crich70; 12-05-2012 at 10:40 PM.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:13 AM   #3
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuceBianchi View Post
Hello, everyone. I have a specific type of writer's block, and it's annoying me.

Before I get to it, some possibly relevant information on my writing style. I don't actually write stories, by my definition. They come to me, and I put the words on paper. Every time I have tried writing without this elusive muse, the result has sounded forced. I still haven't managed to improve these stories to the point where I'm satisfied.

I have a story I want to write. I have the important story events written down and ordered. I can't think of sentences to show these events, and the words won't come. My muse is silent.

Thanks, everybody.
Muses usually give help with what you are saying you have already done. Ideas, outlines, and the like.

The problem as I see it is that you have a dearth of hardworking dwarf and elf craftsmen to fabricate paths, runways, and roads between all these ideas that your productive muses have constructed.

If you don't want to wait for the mood to strike you, then just start doing it, and maybe the mood will come after a while. Then if you like, you can go back and rework what you don't care for.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:53 AM   #4
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:

Thanks, everybody.
And that really is the trick to fiction writing. You must be able to 'enter the dream' and write it down. I too have significant issues with doing just that (particularly at the moment). I am IMO very good at coming up with story ideas, titles, scenes, etc. but pulling it all together in a narrative is a challenge other than in the rare cases where it seems (in the manner you describe) a story is handed to you and you simply write it down.

My best suggestion is to try and imagine the scene surrounding the incidents you have and begin to describe it in the narrative voice you have chosen - first person, third, etc. and try to follow your mind's eye and tell the story to an imagined reader. Be sure to include all the sensory details, smells, sights, sounds...

Last edited by kennyc; 12-06-2012 at 07:57 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:37 PM   #5
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
And that really is the trick to fiction writing. You must be able to 'enter the dream' and write it down. I too have significant issues with doing just that (particularly at the moment). I am IMO very good at coming up with story ideas, titles, scenes, etc. but pulling it all together in a narrative is a challenge other than in the rare cases where it seems (in the manner you describe) a story is handed to you and you simply write it down.

My best suggestion is to try and imagine the scene surrounding the incidents you have and begin to describe it in the narrative voice you have chosen - first person, third, etc. and try to follow your mind's eye and tell the story to an imagined reader. Be sure to include all the sensory details, smells, sights, sounds...
Which is basically what I also suggested. With two of us suggesting basically the same thing there must something to it I'd think.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:49 PM   #6
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Which is basically what I also suggested. With two of us suggesting basically the same thing there must something to it I'd think.
Yep, agreed and did not mean to duplicate. Actually writing that helped my get my head in a better place.

Definitely something to it.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:41 PM   #7
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Yep, agreed and did not mean to duplicate. Actually writing that helped my get my head in a better place.

Definitely something to it.
No offense taken here Kennyc. It's good to see that someone else agrees with me on an idea to help focus ideas. I think everyone who has ever written something has had this type of writer's block at some point in the process. If the writer can't see his/her story clearly no one else is going to either.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:52 PM   #8
LuceBianchi
LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook 1st Edition
Thank you, both of you. I'll give that a shot.

As for the "just start writing, and maybe the muse will speak" idea... I really should start free writing or journalling more. As in, start doing it. I keep forgetting about that technique. ;_;
LuceBianchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:44 PM   #9
kennyc

You might want to check out The war of art by steven pressfield also. I find it very motivational.

http://www.amazon.com/The-War-of-Art...the+war+of+art
Old 12-06-2012, 11:08 PM   #10
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Thank you, both of you. I'll give that a shot.

As for the "just start writing, and maybe the muse will speak" idea... I really should start free writing or journalling more. As in, start doing it. I keep forgetting about that technique. ;_;

Honestly the two things that seem to help all writers regardless of style is..

READ and Write.

Read as much as you can, and as often as you can. Read in your genre and out of it. Just read!

Second , just write. Learning to write is no different then any other skill you have to do it to get better at it. Write stuff and toss it in your shredder, and then write some more. Write poems, letters, very short stories (1-2 pages), blogs, etc. If your married (or otherwise romantically attached), write your spouse a love letter. Write your mom a thank you letter for giving you life.

If the story you do want to write is not coming write another. Takes time to get in to a habit where you sit and write regardless.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:05 PM   #11
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Another tip I always liked is, write something about a different character or a scene that you have no intention of using. That removes any pressure to make that draft "the one," it gets your juices flowing, and you might even end up changing your intended POV character.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote