Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 07-30-2012, 10:14 PM   #1
flyash
Groupie
flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Inexpensive tablets that work well with PDFs?

I have a Nook, which I like, but for pdf's with lots of pictures, diagrams, and tables, it just doesn't work well. So I'm thinking of picking up an inexpensive tablet mostly to read PDF's with a fair amount of non-text content as described above, and perhaps read some blogs over wifi.

Suggestions?
flyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:00 PM   #2
CheyenneDonna
Connoisseur
CheyenneDonna has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Entourage Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyash View Post
I have a Nook, which I like, but for pdf's with lots of pictures, diagrams, and tables, it just doesn't work well. So I'm thinking of picking up an inexpensive tablet mostly to read PDF's with a fair amount of non-text content as described above, and perhaps read some blogs over wifi.

Suggestions?
If you want a 7 inch the new Google Nexus can't be beat for price and function, if you want 10 inch try either the original Transformer (here's a refurbished for $265) or the tf300- more money but better specs. I have both the Nexus and the tf101 - both are great for reading PDF and offer endless sources of amusement too.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-pla-_-NA-_-NA
CheyenneDonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2012, 07:59 AM   #3
flyash
Groupie
flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Yeah that Google Nexus 7 looks pretty good. Surprising that used prices on ebay for other 7" tablets haven't come down more now that the Nexus 7 is out.
flyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:36 PM   #4
netbenben
netbenben began at the beginning.

Device: Casio Electronic Dictionary
Any 10 '' tablet which has an Eink screen???
netbenben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:49 PM   #5
HowGozit
Connoisseur
HowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS650, Kobo, Asus Tab 8, iPod Touch, Galaxy Tab, Surface Pr2
PDF reading..

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyash View Post

Suggestions?
I still happily use my Acer A501 (which is pretty dated by now) which is a 10 inch Android tablet (Android 4). I use it for PDF's, Comics on PDF, and Zinio mags. I can read on Kindle and FBReader as well.

It's screen is faded compared to new tablets or the iPad (which I own as well) - but it is still my go to device.

Eink (and I own 3 of those - all Sony - and my wife has a Kindle 4) is the only answer when you read in sunlight. The 7" tablets are fantastic for ereading - but some PDF's, Comics and some magazines are a bit cramped - depends on your eyes of course.

I like the suggestion of the Asus TF300 - keyboard would be optional...

Ross
HowGozit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2012, 03:20 PM   #6
Isles8008
Connoisseur
Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Nexus 10, Kindle Paperwhite, iRiver Story HD
Now that the Nook HD+ is out, I would recommend that. The screen size is perfect for PDFs, and the super high-resolution display is laminated to the glass making it super glare resistant. I love my Nook HD+.
Isles8008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:49 AM   #7
VaultBoy
Addict
VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle of many shapes, PIPBoy 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbenben View Post
Any 10 '' tablet which has an Eink screen???
Kindle dx, but they're rather pricey and outdated.
VaultBoy is offline   Reply With Quote