Old 06-24-2020, 02:48 PM   #1
arooni
Addict
arooni began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4 (2018)
Crappy epubs not showing covers?

Sometimes I see

(no book information, too many interruptions or crashing) under an epub

this seems to have the title of the book, # of pages, progress and size. But missing the cover page.

most of my other epubs seem to have covers so i'm guessing this is just a case of a poor quality epub not rendering as expected. the book opens fine and without issue.

the epubs themselves seem to have covers on the first page or so when you open them.

not really a huge issue but i do like seeing a sea of covers in the history view. i guess the solution is: "arooni get better epubs" lol

Last edited by arooni; 06-24-2020 at 03:44 PM.
arooni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 03:32 PM   #2
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Covers are a thing that the EPUB declares in metadata, not simply the first page. I'm guessing they don't do that.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 12:58 AM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
There used to be an issue on Kindle where the metadata parsing went kablooey on the first KOReader boot after a fresh install, which could lead to a few "metadata parsing crashed" entries.

Been a while since I checked, though, so, probably broken metadata.
FWIW, we should be honoring the time-honored ePub 2 tradition (as defining a cover isn't in the specs, *sigh*) required by every content distributor out there, and the actual specs (finally) for an ePub 3.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 04:51 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Sony Readers take the cover from the first page of the ePub. It worked really well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 05:14 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Where are these crappy ePub coming from?
Old 06-25-2020, 03:10 PM   #6
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I don't know if this is related to your problem but I use the Calibre plugin Generate Cover for books I've made. Someone here suggested running Calibre's Polish books plugin after using Generate Cover (for reasons which I've forgotten). So now I always do that. (And being superstitious I now also run the Modify ePub plugin as well as part of my final voodo.)
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 03:16 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
I don't know if this is related to your problem but I use the Calibre plugin Generate Cover for books I've made. Someone here suggested running Calibre's Polish books plugin after using Generate Cover (for reasons which I've forgotten). So now I always do that. (And being superstitious I now also run the Modify ePub plugin as well as part of my final voodo.)
There is no reason to Polish after using Generate Cover. The best way to add the cover is do a search for the cover and if you find a cover you like at a high resolution, you can just double click the cover and then you can change the cover with Modify ePub. This way, you don't need to use Generate Cover and Polish.
Old 07-05-2020, 10:14 PM   #8
mzel
Connoisseur
mzel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
I see the cover page issue on Kobo. Some books correctly show covers in nickel, but not in koreader
mzel is offline   Reply With Quote