Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-18-2021, 07:15 AM   #1
Frühaufsteher
Frühaufsteher began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox, Kindle 3
how to export highlights like kindle

I like to read in the Kobo forma, since it has a bigger screen than kindle. Recently I tried to export vocabulary (kobonotes) that I highlighted, but found out that it doesn't work out the way as Kindle does.

Under Kindle (kindle mate, see as attached) after I export highlights and vocabulary, I can see the complete sentences that contain the highlighted words, instead of only the highlighted ones. It really upset me, because I take advantage of this feature to learn a foreign language.

Is there a way to solve this problem?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle mate.png
Views:	272
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	189297  
Frühaufsteher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 08:36 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Kobo works better.
1) Use Calibre and Kobo Utilites (Best soiution and why I'd not go back to a Kindle). Select book, Kobo Utility menu Import Annotations, copy to clipboard and paste into any program or a custom Calibre column. Windows, Mac or Linux.
OR
2) Enable menu item on long press of book to export highlights, annotations & bookmarks by adding a line to the kobo config file. This creates a text file, better than the Kindle one, but not as good as option 1.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 12:52 PM   #3
pgilster
Connoisseur
pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Aura One; Kobo Forma; Kindle Oasis 3
I've been exporting Kobo annotations for a while now using the change to the config file, etc. Has anyone else noticed that this no longer works on library books? I have a lot of annotations from books I've read through library loan on my Aura One and Forma, but now when I tap the menu to export the annotations, no file is created. Would like to know if this is happening to others.
pgilster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 03:50 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgilster View Post
I've been exporting Kobo annotations for a while now using the change to the config file, etc. Has anyone else noticed that this no longer works on library books? I have a lot of annotations from books I've read through library loan on my Aura One and Forma, but now when I tap the menu to export the annotations, no file is created. Would like to know if this is happening to others.
Is this for books borrowed through Overdrive and downloaded directly to the device? Or books sideloaded through ADE? I haven't tried with a library book, but, it still works with a purchased book downloaded to the device.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 09:44 AM   #5
pgilster
Connoisseur
pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.

I use Overdrive and download directly to my Aura One or Forma, as the mood strikes. It always used to be easy to export the annotations to a text file that I would then put into Evernote. But now I can get neither device to produce the text file, ever since the last firmware update. It still seems to work on purchased books, just not library books. I'm assuming this is a tweak in the firmware due to publisher pressures re library books, but have no idea whether I'm right.

Paul
Old 10-01-2021, 04:48 PM   #6
Anima Mundi
Anima Mundi began at the beginning.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle paperwhite gen 2, kobo clara HD
Quote:
I use Overdrive and download directly to my Aura One or Forma, as the mood strikes. It always used to be easy to export the annotations to a text file that I would then put into Evernote. But now I can get neither device to produce the text file, ever since the last firmware update. It still seems to work on purchased books, just not library books. I'm assuming this is a tweak in the firmware due to publisher pressures re library books, but have no idea whether I'm right.

Paul
I thought the same thing the other day but when I searched within the entire folder, my text file showed up within an "exported annotations" subfolder.
Anima Mundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 01:28 PM   #7
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anima Mundi View Post
I thought the same thing the other day but when I searched within the entire folder, my text file showed up within an "exported annotations" subfolder.
Yes, exported highlights used to go to the root directory. This change was made in a recent firmware update with no documentation of it. I had to go searching to find my exported highlights, too.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 12:27 PM   #8
pgilster
Connoisseur

Wow. Somehow I had missed that. Thanks!
Old 10-18-2021, 10:54 PM   #9
Numnumnum
Numnumnum began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
Yes, exported highlights used to go to the root directory. This change was made in a recent firmware update with no documentation of it. I had to go searching to find my exported highlights, too.
Sorry for the stupid question and piling on the thread, but does exported highlights on Overdrive library books still work if the highlights are exported *after* the book has been returned ? And additionally, if you return and re-borrow the book, are your previous highlights still saved on the device ?

Many thanks! I was thinking of moving to Kindle because I heard highlighting/annotating on non-fiction was better there. But maybe I’ll try upgrading my old Clara HD instead (highlighting by finger is so frustrating on this device) to a Kobo device that has better highlighting/tracking/exporting
Numnumnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 09:38 AM   #10
pgilster
Connoisseur

I don't think you can export highlights after the book is returned; at least, I haven't tried it. As to highlights remaining in a library book that you check out for a second time, I had hoped that was the case, but my highlights are always gone when I do that. Would be interested in others' thoughts on this, as I had thought it was supposed to work.
Old 10-19-2021, 11:24 AM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numnumnum View Post
Sorry for the stupid question and piling on the thread, but does exported highlights on Overdrive library books still work if the highlights are exported *after* the book has been returned ? And additionally, if you return and re-borrow the book, are your previous highlights still saved on the device ?
If you borrow an Overdrive book which is synced to your device from Kobo, after you return the book, you will see a preview has been added on your Kobo. That preview is still linked to any annotations/highlights. If you remove the preview, say goodbye to the annotations/highlights. My testing on this was a while back and the newest firmware may no longer support that functionality.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 08:09 PM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't think you can export highlights after the book is returned; at least, I haven't tried it. As to highlights remaining in a library book that you check out for a second time, I had hoped that was the case, but my highlights are always gone when I do that. Would be interested in others' thoughts on this, as I had thought it was supposed to work.
I haven't looked to see if the highlights are there after a library book was returned. But, I had been told by Kobo that one of the reasons for adding the book as a preview after it is returned is to have somewhere for the annotations to be kept in case the person bought the book later. I assumed this would work with borrowing the book again.

Of course, it is possible that two different editions were involved so that the system did not see them as the first book. If you borrowed from the same library the second time, I would hope that was not the case, but, it is a possibility.

Did you delete the preview that Kobo added? If you had removed that from your library, that would probably explain it.
Old 10-19-2021, 11:28 PM   #13
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Kobo works better.
1) Use Calibre and Kobo Utilites (Best soiution and why I'd not go back to a Kindle). Select book, Kobo Utility menu Import Annotations, copy to clipboard and paste into any program or a custom Calibre column. Windows, Mac or Linux.
OR
2) Enable menu item on long press of book to export highlights, annotations & bookmarks by adding a line to the kobo config file. This creates a text file, better than the Kindle one, but not as good as option 1.
My kobo has no option of Export highlights/annotation when long pressing a book. Is there something i need to change in the config file?

Also my annotations plugin in calibre does not have options to export/import annotations from a book on the device. Only remove annotations option

Last edited by Deobulakenyo; 10-20-2021 at 12:24 AM.
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 12:17 AM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deobulakenyo View Post
Why is it that my Kobo Utilities in Calibre does not have the Import Annotations? Only Remove Annotations.

The option that @Quoth was referring to is called "Copy annotations for Selected Book". It isn't an "import". But, it probably should be "Show..."

And note, the "Remove Annotations" is actually "Remove Annotations Files". It doesn't touch the annotations that are in the database. Only the annotations files that the RMSDK creates for epubs and PDFs.
Old 10-20-2021, 12:27 AM   #15
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The option that @Quoth was referring to is called "Copy annotations for Selected Book". It isn't an "import". But, it probably should be "Show..."

And note, the "Remove Annotations" is actually "Remove Annotations Files". It doesn't touch the annotations that are in the database. Only the annotations files that the RMSDK creates for epubs and PDFs.
Sorry I edited my post while you were responding.

I really don't understand hahahahaha

I have a book which i finished reading last night and there are lots of highlights. I want to export the highlights because i want to delete the book already. It is a sideloaded kepub.

There is no option on my libra to export the highlights when i long press the book.

I do not understand how Calibre can export/get the highlights from the book in the device when connected.
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
highlights, vocabulary