Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 05-02-2021, 08:55 AM   #61
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What surprises me is that publishers that do not have DRM for KF8 eBooks don't make a fuss about the forced DRM on KFX eBooks.
It does not surprise me. Those books are still available for download in older formats without DRM to owners of Kindles and Fire tablets. A book available only in KFX appears to be a due to choice made by the publisher specifically because they desire strong DRM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 10:02 AM   #62
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
What surprises me is that publishers that do not have DRM for KF8 eBooks don't make a fuss about the forced DRM on KFX eBooks.
How? Amazon simply ignores anything not an actual easily fixable bug report. They seem to have no interest in actual opinions of customers, consumer groups, authors or small publishers.

They can sometimes be helpful on actual bugs. Other times we are holding it wrong.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 10:32 AM   #63
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
How? Amazon simply ignores anything not an actual easily fixable bug report. They seem to have no interest in actual opinions of customers, consumer groups, authors or small publishers.

They can sometimes be helpful on actual bugs. Other times we are holding it wrong.
The holding it wrong was Apple when the signal would drop or be weak.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 11:25 AM   #64
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
It does not surprise me. Those books are still available for download in older formats without DRM to owners of Kindles and Fire tablets. A book available only in KFX appears to be a due to choice made by the publisher specifically because they desire strong DRM.
Have you noticed which publishers insist on KFX only? Are the big 5 among them?
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 11:25 AM   #65
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If Amazon continues to make KFX harder to avoid then some publishers and customers will complain, but not enough to impact Amazon's bottom line.

Those of us who frequent MobileRead are a small minority. Most customers don't care whether they have access to a DRM-free copy of their purchased e-books and wouldn't know what to do with it anyway. I think it is unlikely that any major publisher would pull their books from sale on Amazon over this issue.
Old 05-02-2021, 12:07 PM   #66
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Weren't Pegasus and his sibling born from where Medusa's blood was spilt upon the Earth after the beheading? Not quite the same as Athena and Zeus where head-splitting headache comes to mind. Though not quite as disquieting as Aphrodite being born when Cronus tossed Uranus's severed genitals into the ocean.
Yeah, something like that, (although there are two different recitations, one being the "right out of the noggin" version, if memory serves) but that takes too long to type.

D'ya know, in all the years I've used that--since my first Internet connection, the 18th in Phoenix, AZ and something like the 25th in the state of Arizona, back in the Archie, Gopher, etc. days--you're the FIRST person to call me out on it? Obviously, @DNSB, I'm going to have to keep my eye on you!

:-D

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 12:29 PM   #67
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My question is why the shift to KFX when Amazon has refused to drop Mobi in order to keep comparability with old devices? Going KFX only is going to cause a problem for a very many users who still use a K1, K2, DX/G, K3/KK, Touch, and PW1 will be screwed.
Old 05-02-2021, 12:47 PM   #68
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
Have you noticed which publishers insist on KFX only? Are the big 5 among them?
None of the big five.

So far it has been only one academic publisher (Pearson) and publishers in a specific market (India). In both cases the driving force seems to be a perception that customers have a greater than usual likelihood of trying to copy books and make them available to others.

Quote:
My question is why the shift to KFX when Amazon has refused to drop Mobi in order to keep comparability with old devices? Going KFX only is going to cause a problem for a very many users who still use a K1, K2, DX/G, K3/KK, Touch, and PW1 will be screwed.
I suspect that for the next several years KFX-only will be limited to specific markets and publishers who value enhanced DRM over customer satisfaction. After that who knows?
Old 05-06-2021, 01:29 PM   #69
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'd be delighted to see a $25 upload fee.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 08:00 AM   #70
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Maybe $10
Certainly Ingram Spark is too expensive. Is it $56 just to START creating a title even for POD, before actually publishing?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 10:46 AM   #71
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Maybe $10
Certainly Ingram Spark is too expensive. Is it $56 just to START creating a title even for POD, before actually publishing?
No. And here's the thing--Ingram constantly has this coupon or special or the other running. Sure, you can spend $45 to start a new paperback and then $20 for an eBook, but most of the time, you can find a discount.

I've been having a discussion over on another forum, about this endless updating crap. I feel it disrespects the buyer, I really do. I've actually given up on some authors, over it. To publish a new version, ONCE, with a few fixed typos, fine, whatever. But there are people that upload 10, 15, 20 new versions. That's Horses**t. They act like their buyers--who, let us not forget, are paying them--are paying them for the pivilege of being their critique group. We're not.

I always use this analogy--would an author be fine if I handed them a print layout, from my company, and said "oh, don't mind the small errors here, that's Deandra, she's just learning to do print layout? She'll do better next time?"

You bet yo' sweet ass they wouldn't. They'd demand that we fix it--and rightly so. They're paying for a professional service and that's what we'll give them. When a buyer buys a book, they expect it to be a professionally-crafted book. Not a project for a critique group.

Of course, the comeback to that is, "[b]ut, but, but, you're only paying $0.99/$1.99/$2.99!" And my attitude is, "I'm not the one that told you to price your work that cheaply."

{shrug}. BUT, you know, people think I'm mean or unreasonable.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 05:15 PM   #72
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
{shrug}. BUT, you know, people think I'm mean or unreasonable.

Hitch
I think they just don't want to hear the way the world works when their view is different.

As for changed versions, I've seen eBooks change for a new cover, new formatting, added adverts for other books, etc without the actual text being changed. But the consumer doesn't know this. All they know is that there is a new version. At Amazon, they really need to say what's been changed from the version originally purchased. If I've not yet read the eBook, I want to know if I should bother to download the update.

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-07-2021 at 05:18 PM.