Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-11-2009, 10:08 PM   #1
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Calibre not recognizing 505

ok, I had 5.10
was adding books, converting
got an error, calibre closed
(and I clicked "send error message")
later, I re-opened but 505 not showing next to Library

restarted pc
downloaded, installed 5.14
505 still not showing

505 does show on my pc as a drive
and I added books that way
but I like using to Calibre for adding books

anything I can try or test?

Thanks!
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:21 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Post the output of running

calibre-debug -d

ina terminal with your 505 connected
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2009, 07:10 AM   #3
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I ran this:"C:\Program Files\calibre\calibre-debug.exe"
and I got this the second time:

WARNING: help() not available - check site.py

In [1]:

======
The first message was a bit longer and said something about not finding python.
(I was trying to figure out copy & paste)
Old 06-12-2009, 10:51 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You forgot the -d
Old 06-12-2009, 11:08 AM   #5
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster

WARNING: help() not available - check site.py

In [1]: -d
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
NameError Traceback (most recent call last)

C:\Program Files\calibre\<ipython console> in <module>()

NameError: name 'd' is not defined

In [2]:

===

the above isn't correct, is it?...
where do I put the -d ?

I open up RUN box
type in "C:\Program Files\calibre\calibre-debug.exe"

calibre-debug-d.exe won't open
the -d after exe doesn't open
Advert
Old 06-12-2009, 11:20 AM   #6
martinsm
martinsm began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
You put it after calibre-debug.
type: "C:\Program Files\calibre\calibre-debug -d"
To redirect output to some file, put after -d (and space) text >output.txt
martinsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:58 AM   #7
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinsm View Post
You put it after calibre-debug.
type: "C:\Program Files\calibre\calibre-debug -d"
To redirect output to some file, put after -d (and space) text >output.txt
Thanks Martin : )
unfortunately that didn't work either.

I did copy & paste of what you wrote (in bold)
and I get a Windows error message that windows
cannot find that file...
Old 06-12-2009, 12:42 PM   #8
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I assume you left off the quotes at the beginning and end?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:53 PM   #9
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
I assume you left off the quotes at the beginning and end?
At this point, I've tried with quotes and without quotes...
I so rarely use this part of my pc I've forgotten how.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:42 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Type just

calibre-debug -d

no quotes and note the space between g and -
Old 06-12-2009, 04:51 PM   #11
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster

ah, ok, kovid, finally I understand.. lol
here is what I got:
=============
USB devices on system: [u'usb\\root_hub&vid8086&pid24d4&rev0002', u'usb\\root_hu
b&vid8086&pid24de&rev0002', u'usb\\root_hub&vid8086&pid24d2&rev0002', u'usb\\roo
t_hub&vid8086&pid24d7&rev0002', u'usb\\root_hub20&vid8086&pid24dd&rev0002', u'us
b\\vid_054c&pid_031e&rev_0229']
Drives detected:
(ID, Partitions, Drive letter)
('IDE\\DISKST340014A______________________________ _3.16____\\4A333458354
53636202020202020202020202020', 'No mount points found')
('USBSTOR\\DISK&VEN_SONY&PROD_PRS-505/UC&REV_1000\\0800461000705107&0',
'No mount points found')
('USBSTOR\\DISK&VEN_SONY&PROD_PRS-505/UC:MS&REV_1000\\0800461000705107&1
', 'No mount points found')
('USBSTOR\\DISK&VEN_SONY&PROD_PRS-505/UC:SD&REV_1000\\0800461000705107&2
Looking for PRS500
Looking for PRS505
Device Connected: <class 'calibre.devices.prs505.driver.PRS505'>
Trying to open device...
======

after the trying to open device part
after a few seconds, it flashes something more onto the screen
but I can't copy it because the dos screen closes itself...
Old 06-12-2009, 06:42 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Open the DOS screen first by typing cmd.exe in the windows run dialog. Then when you typ calibre-debug -d in the dows box, it wont cloase after finishing
Old 06-12-2009, 07:01 PM   #13
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster

I love it when something works!! whoohoo!

here is what I get:
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>calibre-debug -d
USB devices on system: [u'usb\\root_hub&vid8086&pid24d4&rev0002', u'usb\\root_hu
b&vid8086&pid24de&rev0002', u'usb\\root_hub&vid8086&pid24d2&rev0002', u'usb\\roo
t_hub&vid8086&pid24d7&rev0002', u'usb\\root_hub20&vid8086&pid24dd&rev0002', u'us
b\\vid_054c&pid_031e&rev_0229']
Drives detected:
(ID, Partitions, Drive letter)
('IDE\\DISKST340014A______________________________ _3.16____\\4A333458354
53636202020202020202020202020', 'No mount points found')
('USBSTOR\\DISK&VEN_SONY&PROD_PRS-505/UC&REV_1000\\0800461000705107&0',
'No mount points found')
('USBSTOR\\DISK&VEN_SONY&PROD_PRS-505/UC:MS&REV_1000\\0800461000705107&1
('USBSTOR\\DISK&VEN_SONY&PROD_PRS-505/UC:SD&REV_1000\\0800461000705107&2
Looking for PRS500
Looking for PRS505
Device Connected: <class 'calibre.devices.prs505.driver.PRS505'>
Trying to open device...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "debug.py", line 179, in <module>
File "debug.py", line 161, in main
File "debug.py", line 124, in debug_device_driver
File "calibre\devices\prs505\driver.pyo", line 243, in open
File "calibre\devices\prs505\driver.pyo", line 168, in open_windows
calibre.devices.errors.DeviceError: Unable to detect the PRS505 disk drive. Try
rebooting.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>
Old 06-12-2009, 08:36 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Something on your computer is preventing calibre from detecting the drives (more precisely it is preventing calibre from using WMI to query your system for drives). Installed any new/updated anti virus/anti-malware software recently?
Old 06-13-2009, 11:10 AM   #15
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster

I have Avira Antivir personal (free) edition installed
and it updates itself weekly/monthly.

I will look further on my pc for what could be causing
this issue. Hopefully, I'll get it sorted out soon.

Thanks Kovid and the other members here for your help! : )