Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 09-30-2006, 09:04 AM   #31
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
http://www.stockton.lib.ca.us/ebooks.htm
Has a nice list of ebook sources and includes things like a CliffNotes-like site also.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 10:24 AM   #32
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
Academic books - http://content.cdlib.org/search?sort...&rights=Public

Caution, formatting is an issue, work is required to clean them up - but an interesting selection.

A way to get the complete book at one shot is to go to the print view and snag it all. Otherwise you copy a chapter at a time.
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2006, 05:01 PM   #33
Michele
Addict
Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Good original and classic science fiction stories are archived at the recently departed SciFiction online magazine.

Also, Cory Doctorow has all his sf available at Craphound.

I haven't read the whole thread yet, so hope I haven't repeated anything.
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 11:52 AM   #34
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
This thread has given me quite a number of new bookmarks, bringing my e-book bookmark count to 15! (Feel free to add mine to yours. )

It's good to see that there are actually so many sites offering e-books in various formats. It's like an ever-increasing boulder, poised at the edge of a cliff, waiting for an event (such as a popularly successful e-book reader, e-only author, or iTunes-like service) to send it over the edge and into the mainstream.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 12:06 PM   #35
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Hey, Steve, do you plan to offer your work in a format that I can read on my Sony Reader?

The closest option I can see at the moment is running a file through convertLit or some such....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2006, 03:31 PM   #36
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've heard the Sony reader will read PDF, so my books could be read on it right now. I also happen to be awaiting information from the Connect store regarding selling my books through them, which I assume will include information on their formatting.

Whether I sell through Connect may depend on their requirements regarding cost, DRM, rights, etc, so there's no telling if that will happen. But even if I cannot make a deal with Sony, I'm hoping I can convert my e-books to whatever formats they use.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:39 PM   #37
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan
I've heard the Sony reader will read PDF, so my books could be read on it right now.
A5 PDF's are legible (barely), but not really readable on the Reader -- the display is just too small, unless the PDF in question can reflow the text.

On the other hand, PDF's sized in the neighborhood of 3.54" X 4.84" have been found to display quite nicely on the Reader.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:28 PM   #38
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

I always create tagged PDFs, which read fine on my handheld (my particular PPC has scrolling issues with PDFs, so I only use it for serious reading occasionally).

I haven't heard back from Sony yet about their preferred formats.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:35 PM   #39
NatCh
Gizmologist

Hey, Steve, I just downloaded The Onuissance Cells and tried it on the Reader. The font is pretty small (~4 pts), so I guess the current Reader software doesn't take advantage of tagging.

I'll play with it some more and see if I can get it to be more agreeable.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:21 PM   #40
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Hmm... I'll have to look into that.

Well, I double-checked, and the file is tagged. I know I can read tagged PDFs on my PPC and Adobe Reader 2.0. What version are you using?

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 10-11-2006 at 04:44 PM.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:49 PM   #41
laowai
laowai began at the beginning.

Device: Blackberry 7290
I have seen many stores or site for non-english sites
I saw for French www.numilog.net that offers a French section
Anyone can share non-English sites ?
laowai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 11:22 PM   #42
PHugger
Connoisseur
PHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle 3G, Sony PRS-505
I found this nice list of eBook sources -

http://mashable.com/2007/11/12/publi...ebook-sources/

PCH
PHugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 06:01 AM   #43
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHugger View Post
I found this nice list of eBook sources -

http://mashable.com/2007/11/12/publi...ebook-sources/

PCH
Yep, it even made it on Digg's frontpage: http://digg.com/tech_news/20_Public_...E_Book_Sources

TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 06:31 AM   #44
KatrinaCardway
eBookStore *****istrator
KatrinaCardway doesn't litterKatrinaCardway doesn't litterKatrinaCardway doesn't litter

Device: Several - Mostly Use Pocket PC - HP6315
Don't forget eBooks About Everything

Don't forget the new kid on the block -- eBooks About Everything.

We offer thousands of eBooks about almost everything in Digital editions, eReader, MSLit and Mobipocket formats. This is a "pay" site but we work to keep prices low. New releases and New York Times Best Sellers are always discounted by 10%.

Come visit!
KatrinaCardway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 04:45 AM   #45
alownder
alwonder
alownder began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia 9300 smartphone
ebookstore?

I have found this site: www.ebookcrescent.com... although I had made my first purchase with wariness but their service was fast and polite. Is mobipocket format reliable? I used to read on my smartphone most of the time! hmm..mixed feelings about ebook.Thanks for the great info guys ..at least I have more choices now.
alownder is offline   Reply With Quote