Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-08-2012, 10:49 PM   #61
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
Depends on the book and the difference. If its like a buck or so and its a book I want to read, and not just something i found exploring titles, then yeah. If its from an author I dont know, and just something I might like to read, then no. But then I wouldn't get the book at all, I do nothing but ebooks anymore, been that way since I got my first kindle 2 at its release.
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:27 PM   #62
jarrahloh
Cageside Chronicles
jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kobo Touch, iPhone
Yes.
And have done.

I think it's ridiculous pricing, but I truly prefer it on my reader.
I can get a paperback online for a few dollars, but sometimes the ebook is over $10.

A friend at work often says to me (ebook hater! ) You could probably get the print copy for that!
For me, now, that is like buying the vinyl instead of the MP3.
Yeah, sure, you get more in your hand to hold. But I'm not that shallow I don't NEED to to own things and hold things anymore. I want usability.
Minimalism is the way to go.
The ebook version is superior, so yes, I will pay more if I have to. :P
jarrahloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:39 AM   #63
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I do think there was an implicit promise that the ereader would pay for itself in savings, at the time I bought mine. Maybe that's no longer true now they are more established, and people are aware of their other advantages.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:53 AM   #64
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by djstormer View Post
spindlegirl, do you realize that un-drming an ebook is a very simple process using freely available, widely used, and perfectly safe software? Once the drm-free version is backed up on your PC, it's completely yours.
I do know this, but that is not the point. Nor is it the seller's point. The objective of the seller is everything. The fact that I have to use third party software to "fix" something (which, even though it is 'freely available' the how to cannot be discussed here) I bought, regardless of how easy it is, just makes me very uncomfortable. It is all in the principle of the thing.

I'll happily slurp up all the kindle freebies that get posted here. But I refuse to *pay* for something that I have to "fix".

Most of my e-book money goes into DRM-Free models (Baen, Discover a New Love, and the like) because I like to monetarily reward those who sell books to ME, not my gizmo.

Last edited by spindlegirl; 10-09-2012 at 03:56 AM.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:55 AM   #65
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I do think there was an implicit promise that the ereader would pay for itself in savings, at the time I bought mine. Maybe that's no longer true now they are more established, and people are aware of their other advantages.
I do not believe that has been the case except maybe that you saved money if you read free stuff and free stuff is much easier to read on a reader than on a computer.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:13 AM   #66
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Quite a few ePub books use drop caps, embedded fonts, etc.
You're right, Harry, they do. Still, I think most ePubs are still laid out to a lowest common denominator (read: the capabilities of MOBI6/AZW ;-)).

In that regard, Amazon's move to KF8 is good thing too: it might push publishers to a higher layout standard across the board, especially with the dual-format files to ease the transition.

But whether they will do so? I'm not all that optimistic...
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:43 AM   #67
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Oops. Wrong thread.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-09-2012 at 06:47 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:28 AM   #68
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
Quote:
When e-readers were new, I remember reading that ebooks would be less expensive and the savings would pay for the e-reader, though I'm not sure whether it was ebook sellers saying it or articles about ebooks that claimed it. Maybe people writing articles made assumptions about how much ebooks would cost.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:48 AM   #69
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Well for me, the e-reader paid for itself with just all the gutenberg downloads. I am one of the people who actually likes a lot of the books I have from PG/MR and all the public domain sites. I was actually buying the physical versions before e-books came around.

I suppose it depends on a person's preferences, but if the expensive and hot bestsellers were on my MUST list, I'd probably not have bothered with an e-reader.

Nobody specifically seemed to say, "oh it pays for itself", but it seems to have always been the experience that when you pay a premium for the startup costs of a fancy gizmo, eventually the reason you bought it in the first place comes to fruition. Things like bread mixing machines, stereos, CD players, etc etc, you pay the premium for a reason, to balance the cost in other ways.

The fact that I rarely buy physical books does not mean comparing the cost for me, is meaningless. They are essentially supposed to be the same thing, same story etc... so yes, I compare apples to apples. If my goal is to read the book, then I'll check it out at the library in *whatever* format it is in, rather than pay $14 for it.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:55 AM   #70
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
To be honest ... I still think that's entirely true. There are just too many ways for ereader owners to get free (legal) content that isn't available (or would be "effort prohibitive") to those who only buy physical books. And while it certainly may take longer (now) for someone who only reads from the Best Seller lists to recoup the cost of their device, I still think the ever-lowering ereader entry-price-points—combined with promotional ebook sales (even if you have to rely on the publisher running the promotion)—still makes it quite possible for the ereader to "pay for itself" over a reasonable amount of time. It's just not going to happen with zero effort by the owner.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:11 AM   #71
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
To be honest ... I still think that's entirely true. There are just too many ways for ereader owners to get free (legal) content that isn't available (or would be "effort prohibitive") to those who only buy physical books.
That is 1000% true.
Print only buyers are missing out on the whole indie revolution and (at best) getting the short-end of the stick on ebook-first projects. To saynothing of missing out on ebook-only efforts.
We need to go no further than this example (out of many):
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012...olly-crabapple
The other area print-only buyers miss out is the resurrected backlists coming to ebook only.
As time goes on the print fetishists will be under increasing pressure to move on to digital out of sheer economic necessity.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:55 AM   #72
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Easy answer, NO.
Apache
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:31 PM   #73
guma
Connoisseur
guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Really? How come then the the layout for paper books are OK but I have still not seen an ebook with good typography?
... not because it would be overly difficult to adjust a text for ebook reading. I would assume the reason is that some (most?) publishers obviously don't care much about ebook quality and are not willing to invest even the little effort it would take to make their products somewhat presentable.
guma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:49 PM   #74
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by guma View Post
... not because it would be overly difficult to adjust a text for ebook reading. I would assume the reason is that some (most?) publishers obviously don't care much about ebook quality and are not willing to invest even the little effort it would take to make their products somewhat presentable.
To some extent the fault lies with the ebook reading software. None of it seems to make much of an effort to do really good typography in terms of line and page layout, or even in terms of ligatures.

Current ePubs and even Mobipocket ebooks could look a lot better than they do at the moment.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:04 PM   #75
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Not normally. If there's no paperback available for a new hardback release, and the ebook is priced at least a few dollars less than the hardback then I might buy a book from a favorite author, maybe.

I think the Dresden Files are the only books I've done that for.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote