Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-06-2021, 10:44 AM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
No - such I never wrote.
I dont care, because my paper library hardly contains such.You write and you hardly have a clue.

Im looking for German books, which I cannot find in MobileRead library.

Project Gutenberg has only a minimal number of German language books and blocks requests from Germany.

Project Gutenberg - de provides the books for online reading only.

Only pirate sites or own created copies are left, if you want to read books you own on a reader.
Have you looked at the German eBooks we have here?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 10:51 AM   #47
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Have you looked at the German eBooks we have here?
No - till now I didnt know about.

Thank you, there are some things that interest me

Last edited by ottischwenk; 06-06-2021 at 11:05 AM.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2021, 02:20 PM   #48
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
When will you understand?
Nowhere did I recommend downloading illegally pirated books.

I wrote that I downloaded books from pirate sites, but I never wrote which books:
- I have no idea where you could have read that these were deDRMed copyrighted books.
- and to the law you quoted, it says: uploading of such material is forbidden; but it doesn't say anything about downloading.
It doesn't matter if they are deDRMed or not. If the copies are not legitimate, it is not legal to download them. The section I quoted did not mention uploading, it mentions downloading.

Quote:
And if you don't know the difference, it goes in the opposite direction.

And that I could get into trouble, I didn't write that anywhere either.
They supposedly read very fast, but you should rather focus on correctly grasping what you read.
As for what you wrote, I saw no mention of out of copyright books or public domain books. No matter how fast I read the quoted item below, it seems to say the same thing.

Quote:
- I own app 25.000 paper books - if I want to read one of them, I look it up on pirate sites and if I find it, I download it.
Must be an interesting collection of pirate sites that you hang out on where they have an great selection of out of copyright and/or public domain books available for download.

And given that you requested information on correcting an error in one of the DeDRM 7.0β releases, it would appear that you are using DeDRM.

To quote from the relevant messages in the thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've tested this and it fails with ePub because of a fix in 6.8.0 for Calibre 4.x. When the fix is backed off, then it works for ePub. Revert that fix and it seems to be working with ePub.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Pretty simple to edit that one line, repack the .zip file and Bob's your uncle. Personally, I feel that any Python 2 compatibility should be dumped. calibre 4.23 gets 6.80 and that's all ys wrote.
Quote:
Which line and how?
Just in case you wish to claim that I am misremembering or have misread or whatever the excuse of the day happens to be.

Last edited by DNSB; 06-06-2021 at 02:27 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 03:05 PM   #49
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It doesn't matter if they are deDRMed or not. If the copies are not legitimate, it is not legal to download them. The section I quoted did not mention uploading, it mentions downloading.
This translation was produced by someone who obviously doesn't know German very well - $42 Article 5 is exclusively about making the work available - and believe me, I understand German.
It does not say that downloading is against the law.
Original Text
Quote:
(5) Eine Vervielfältigung zum eigenen oder privaten Gebrauch liegt vorbehaltlich der Abs. 6 und 7 nicht vor, wenn sie zu dem Zweck vorgenommen wird, das Werk mit Hilfe des Vervielfältigungsstückes der Öffentlichkeit zugänglich zu machen, oder wenn hiefür eine offensichtlich rechtswidrig hergestellte oder öffentlich zugänglich gemachte Vorlage verwendet wird. Zum eigenen oder privaten Gebrauch hergestellte Vervielfältigungsstücke dürfen nicht dazu verwendet werden, das Werk damit der Öffentlichkeit zugänglich zu machen.
"Hiefür" means clearly "der Öffentlichkeit zugänglich zu machen" (upload) - everything else contradicts the German language rule.

Oh yes, a far-fetched interpretation could also be that I may not download a copy of which I know in advance that it was created illegally - hmmmmmmm?
But such a law would be completely stupid - and I do not believe such a thing from our parliament.
Quote:
As for what you wrote, I saw no mention of out of copyright books or public domain books. No matter how fast I read the quoted item below, it seems to say the same thing.
But you can't have read that I was looking for copy-protected books either - I have an idea how you come up with that as an advisor for DRM removal, but that would be just speculation as well
Quote:
Must be an interesting collection of pirate sites that you hang out on where they have an great selection of out of copyright and/or public domain books available for download.
You may not believe it, but there are some who have not been blocked because they provide legal content.
Quote:
And given that you requested information on correcting an error in one of the DeDRM 7.0β releases, it would appear that you are using DeDRM.
This interpretation is also far-fetched - I am interested in many things, including the functionality of DRM - but being interested in something does not mean that Im using it.
So I am interested eg. in weapons without using them.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 06-06-2021 at 03:31 PM.
Old 06-06-2021, 03:31 PM   #50
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You may not believe it, but there are some who have not been blocked because they provide legal content.
Ummm... sites that provide legal content are not generally referred to as pirate sites. Do you refer to Gutenberg or Standard Ebooks or MobileRead as pirate sites?

Quote:
This translation was produced by someone who obviously doesn't know German very well - $42 Article 5 is exclusively about making the work available - and believe me, I understand German.
As for your claims about mistranslation? Take that up with the EUIPO for the FAQ I quoted. I'm going to assume that you are aware of:
Quote:
Austria is also a member state of the European Union and, hence, had to transpose a number of directives concerning copyright matters into the national copyright law. The most important directives that are already transposed into national law are the directive on the harmonisation of certain aspects of copyright and related rights in the information society.
Advert
Old 06-06-2021, 03:33 PM   #51
DNSB
Bibliophagist

BTW, it might be time to either abandon this thread or drag it kicking and screaming back to the original poster's topic.
Old 06-06-2021, 03:40 PM   #52
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Ummm... sites that provide legal content are not generally referred to as pirate sites. Do you refer to Gutenberg or Standard Ebooks or MobileRead as pirate sites?
If you can read so fast, you obviously didn't realize that these are useless for my needs.
Quote:
As for your claims about mistranslation? Take that up with the EUIPO for the FAQ I quoted. I'm going to assume that you are aware of:
The Austrian laws are still valid here - not what the EU writes.

And I have copied the relevant passage - an EU interpretation has for me exactly the value 0.
Old 06-06-2021, 03:46 PM   #53
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
BTW, it might be time to either abandon this thread or drag it kicking and screaming back to the original poster's topic.
As long as you attack, I will defend myself.
It is up to you.
Old 06-06-2021, 04:22 PM   #54
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
It is up to you.
You've contradicted yourself so many times that it became ludicrous a long time ago. In one post you argue that you only download legal copies (I haven't heard about legal copies on pirate sites either - in that case the sites wouldn't be called pirate), in another you argue that you're technically not violating any law by downloading. If you only download legal or out-of-copyright books, why do you quote the copyright law in your defense? The only logical conclusion is that the books you download are neither legal nor out of copyright. If they were, you would have said so in the beginning and this whole discussion wouldn't have happened.

I'm sure you realize that no one would care in the slightest what you download and from where, if you hadn't so vehemently argued that the whole bunch of MR members are thieves. No one will leave you in peace after that, if you make any more dubious statements.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 05:06 PM   #55
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
You've contradicted yourself so many times that it became ludicrous a long time ago. In one post you argue that you only download legal copies (I haven't heard about legal copies on pirate sites either - in that case the sites wouldn't be called pirate), in another you argue that you're technically not violating any law by downloading. If you only download legal or out-of-copyright books, why do you quote the copyright law in your defense? The only logical conclusion is that the books you download are neither legal nor out of copyright. If they were, you would have said so in the beginning and this whole discussion wouldn't have happened.

I'm sure you realize that no one would care in the slightest what you download and from where, if you hadn't so vehemently argued that the whole bunch of MR members are thieves. No one will leave you in peace after that, if you make any more dubious statements.
You claim that I contradicted myself - then prove it - otherwise I'll call you a liar and that goes with the next one.
And about your conclusions - they are those of a guy who uses DRM and is therefore a thief in my eyes.

There are sites from which books can be downloaded - and no matter if they are called illegal elsewhere, or stolen - in Austria no download is against the existing law.

DRM removal, however, is.
Old 06-06-2021, 05:49 PM   #56
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
It is up to you.
Yawn. For me, pointing out the contradictions in what you posted is not attacking you, it's getting some amusement at your attempts to tap dance around what you have written.

No offence but at this point in time, if you said the sun was rising in the east, I'd be out there with a compass double-checking.
Old 06-06-2021, 05:58 PM   #57
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
There are sites from which books can be downloaded - and no matter if they are called illegal elsewhere, or stolen - in Austria no download is against the existing law.

DRM removal, however, is.
Austria as a member in good standing of the European Union is subject to the EU's intellectual property statutes. Under those statutes, downloading content that is not legally available for download is in itself, an illegal act. Though you might want to argue with the European Union Intellectual Property Office, I suspect it's not going to get you much sympathy.

Though I find someone who whines about DRM removal trying to defend downloading content that is not legally available for download to be humourous.

As I've said, your self-contradictions are an endless source of humour and I do appreciate a good source of humour.
Old 06-06-2021, 06:03 PM   #58
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Ottis!

Quote:
Zu DRM: es gibt keine für mich ordentlich verwendbare Lese App, die mit DRM umgehen kann - das ist der einzige Grund, weshalb ich es enferne; ich gebe an niemanden auch nur irgendein Buch weiter
Some context in onleihe forum, where you claim to remove DRM even for borrowed books.

At least use a different account name when you want to be a piracy advocate Internet has some records of our activities, you know
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 06:32 PM   #59
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
You claim that I contradicted myself - then prove it - otherwise I'll call you a liar and that goes with the next one.
And about your conclusions - they are those of a guy who uses DRM and is therefore a thief in my eyes.
I've pointed it out more than once. You chose to ignore it.

And I don't care what you call me or who I am in your eyes. My opinion of you is no better than your opinion of me.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 10:17 PM   #60
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
No - such I never wrote.
Then what were these two posts about? https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=241 and https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...postcount=308? In the first, when someone suggested that, based on your comments earlier in the thread or that they had seen elsewhere, that books with DRM that you had purchased had gotten onto the internet, you answered "yes it is". In the second you state:

Quote:
However, I download it to my PC and into its own caliber library - but none of my computers have DRM-removing software; this was also found out during the investigation at that time, during which all my computers were examined.
That sure sounds like you were being investigated. Note, I did not say you were convicted, or even accused of a crime. Simply that you had experienced some level of investigation into how DRM protected books that appeared to come from you were on the internet.

Or are you questioning my use of "with copyright"? If so, my apologies as I was working from memory and probably should have said "DRM protected" or something like that.

Quote:
I dont care, because my paper library hardly contains such.You write and you hardly have a clue.
Which is not under discussion. What is being discussed is how you source ebook copies of these books.

And it should be noted in this discussion that you are the only person who is lowering themselves to actually insulting people.
Quote:
I am interested in German literature, which I hardly can find in MobileRead library.
But yet you thanked @JSWolf for pointing it out. And as you hadn't bother to mention that you were only talking about German literature, how was I supposed to know?
Quote:
Project Gutenberg has only a minimal number of German language books and blocks requests from Germany.
That is unfortunate. Especially with your self-produced ebook versions of these German language books that are in the public domain you would be able to help fix that problem.

Or are all these books you are getting from the pirate sites actually sourced from PG? Or de version by someone who has done the extract and build.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, ereader, format, kindle, orange screen