Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 12-22-2019, 03:11 PM   #31
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
We are now at Dec 22nd and the app store is likely going to stop accepting new submissions for the holidays very soon.

My personal take is that no fix by the end of the year pretty much destroys any trust that I have in CC, and it's time to start looking for alternatives. The current version is broken and each time I transfer new books from Calibre to CC, I expect CC to crash and force me to re-install it. I simply don't want to keep working like that. I really wish there was a way to install the old app since that at least worked reliably.

Prior to CC coming out, I used Marvin to manage my ebook collection. It wasn't as convenient or robust as the prior CC, but at least it worked and I had ways to do most of what I wanted to do.

As a software developer, I'm fairly understanding of software development issues. Stuff happens. However, I also understand that after a point, if things haven't been fixed, it implies that it's pretty likely that troubles will keep happening. The whole changing of the guard was announced in July and the current version appeared in the app store 3 months ago. Three months is plenty of time to fix bugs and put out a working version, if the developers actually know what they are doing.

Last edited by pwalker8; 12-22-2019 at 03:18 PM.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 02:38 PM   #32
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
We are now at Dec 22nd and the app store is likely going to stop accepting new submissions for the holidays very soon.

My personal take is that no fix by the end of the year pretty much destroys any trust that I have in CC, and it's time to start looking for alternatives. ...
Three months is plenty of time to fix bugs and put out a working version, if the developers actually know what they are doing.
Agree.

The previous developers would get a bug fix released to customers in about 3 days, not 3 + months

And they never, to my knowledge, released a version that wiped users libraries
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2019, 05:40 PM   #33
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
Agree.

The previous developers would get a bug fix released to customers in about 3 days, not 3 + months

And they never, to my knowledge, released a version that wiped users libraries
Just remember from what we've been told the wiping if data was due to the fact that the new release came from a different developer id resulting in new location for data storage etc. The big error was not providing a migration tool from the old to the new.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 06:27 PM   #34
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Just remember from what we've been told the wiping if data was due to the fact that the new release came from a different developer id resulting in new location for data storage etc. The big error was not providing a migration tool from the old to the new.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk
Frankly, if that had been the only issue, then not a big deal to me, it's a one time reload. A bit of a pain, sure, but I can deal with it. The issue is that over time, the current release loses track of most of the books and the only way to fix is delete the app, re-install the app and reload. I've been doing this about once a month since 2.0 came out. Another issue is that sorts don't seem to work, new books always get added to the bottom of the list. Once again, something I could live with for a while if it was the only issue.
Old 12-25-2019, 06:12 PM   #35
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Sigh, CC groupings not working again today. Time to delete the app, re-install and reload all my books.
Advert
Old 12-31-2019, 07:21 AM   #36
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

"We are working on some cool new features and after we diligently test it we should be able to release it before Christmas."

clearly the great development team need our thoughts and prayers, a new calendar, and any copies of coding for dummies that we can spare

why do I feel I'll be reposting this next Xmas
Old 01-02-2020, 09:33 AM   #37
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I updated CC today with all new books since November. What a joke. Sorting is non existent. I had to remove all books first in order to get the new books to show. It’s pretty much useless for me now. Is anyone going to fix this joke of an app.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 09:51 AM   #38
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I updated CC today with all new books since November. What a joke. Sorting is non existent. I had to remove all books first in order to get the new books to show. It’s pretty much useless for me now. Is anyone going to fix this joke of an app.
I think we all should put our heads together to find other software that will help us - I've decided IOS CC is dead and have removed it from my ipad. I'm currently trying out Dropbox with Marvin. I'd like to mark books read back on the Calibre side, but haven't quite worked that out.

Android CC is still working fine and I'll never update it - problem will be if I get a new Android tablet.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 10:03 AM   #39
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post

Android CC is still working fine and I'll never update it - problem will be if I get a new Android tablet.
yes, that's when the pain starts. I now have 2 new-ish tablets where I cannot login to my dropbox from CC because auth is broken.

Also, would advise you and all users to have an apk backed up, in case the paid app vanishes from Google store without warning
Old 01-02-2020, 11:03 AM   #40
vikarti
Groupie
vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
I think we all should put our heads together to find other software that will help us - I've decided IOS CC is dead and have removed it from my ipad. I'm currently trying out Dropbox with Marvin. I'd like to mark books read back on the Calibre side, but haven't quite worked that out.
Give Bookfusion a try.
You will to have slighlty change your read model: Books needs to be synced to server (via calibre plugin)(metadata updates also syncable) but sync is one-way at this time. You will get weekly e-mail with stats. Also, Bookfusion is paid-subscription after you over certain number of books.
vikarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 04:11 PM   #41
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

As far as I can tell, both in regards to something like Calibre for iOS and an eBook reader, it's very hard to make a living at producing either product. The market is too small, and too many potential customers aren't willing to pay for it. I know that Apple is urging developers to move to a subscription model, but it doesn't seem very popular with the customers.

I suspect the best hope is that someone will start up an open source project at some point. The base product, a database of ebooks with various views of the data, is pretty straight forward. But there is a lot of additional pieces to figure out and implement such as syncing with Calibre, copying and saving the eBooks and transferring the eBooks to reader software. Someone who knows what they are doing and has a lot of time on their hands could likely have a working beta version in a few months.
Old 01-02-2020, 04:54 PM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
As far as I can tell, both in regards to something like Calibre for iOS and an eBook reader, it's very hard to make a living at producing either product. The market is too small, and too many potential customers aren't willing to pay for it. I know that Apple is urging developers to move to a subscription model, but it doesn't seem very popular with the customers.

I suspect the best hope is that someone will start up an open source project at some point. The base product, a database of ebooks with various views of the data, is pretty straight forward. But there is a lot of additional pieces to figure out and implement such as syncing with Calibre, copying and saving the eBooks and transferring the eBooks to reader software. Someone who knows what they are doing and has a lot of time on their hands could likely have a working beta version in a few months.
You cannot have an open source iOS program. There's no way to run from source. And you have to get all apps from the app store.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 05:03 PM   #43
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
IMO the best feature of Calibre Companion is being able to use the smart device app calibre driver. Chaley wrote both the client and the server in https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...art_device_app.

I would start for releasing an opensource implementation for that piece of code.

About what is pretty straight forward or not, I think is just a matter of past experience. Things that you see easy can be a nightmare for me.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 05:07 PM   #44
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You cannot have an open source iOS program. There's no way to run from source. And you have to get all apps from the app store.
Please JSWolf back up your opinions with facts: https://github.com/videolan/vlc-ios/blob/master/COPYING. You can ask if you don' know about a topic or, at least, state that you are totally clueless about it.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 06:24 PM   #45
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Of course you can, you just need someone who submits the app to Apple. Plus, it's not particularly uncommon for developers to use other open source projects as the starting point for their own development. Perfectly fine as long as you don't charge and credit the original source (well technically, it depends on the license the original developer released the code with).