Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-20-2021, 10:02 PM   #91
moorekom
Connoisseur
moorekom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moorekom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moorekom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moorekom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moorekom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moorekom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moorekom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moorekom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moorekom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moorekom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moorekom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Oasis 3, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma, Onyx Note pro.
I wanted to pop in to say that just because you can clearly distinguish some things in Forma does not make it a better choice. As far as I can tell, Kindle Oasis renders the images close to the original. Yes, at times, this is detrimental. You might lose some details because it is not as washed out as Forma.

But, for manga, this is indeed better. If only Oasis was larger, it will be my default device for everything. As of now, I still use it for manga when the manga layout does not make a larger device necessary. My previous images were for Jojo and I have been reading that on Oasis because the layout is fine for the size of Oasis and the text is clearly legible. When I was reading Vagabond, I completely relied on Forma because it made the dark inking clearer. However convenient e-ink might be and however better the contrast is getting, it is still nowhere near the actual contrast of paper. Voja had a video where he tested the background of several eink screens to paper here. For manga reading, the choice is very subjective based on the inking and layout of the manga.

For text, as I already mentioned, Oasis is my preference not because of its better contrast but because of the size.

Let me close by re-iterating again that for reading text, it hardly matters which one you would choose. You can adjust the boldness and you will be fine most of the time. If you are concerned about reading manga or the front-light then that is a different issue.

Last edited by moorekom; 06-20-2021 at 10:07 PM.
moorekom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 11:13 PM   #92
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
As someone with eye damage, I finally compared the two (I don't own either) and find they are about equal with a slight lean towards the Oasis. Contrast is very important to me (which is why I have a Voyage), but I could easily read on either of these. So I think you can set aside that particular concern and compare other features.

My vision problem is ghosting. Imagine 3 pieces of acetate with the same thing on them and offset them slightly. The black saturation is actually more important than a slight difference in the background. In fact, too much white is actually worse.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 07:34 AM   #93
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
As someone with eye damage … but I could easily read on either of these. So I think you can set aside that particular concern and compare other features.
So really, if someone ONLY buys Amazon and can't be bothered with Calibre and USB, the Oasis is better.

If someone wants good support with Calibre, use of Kobo Utilities to read back annotations for stuff they are writing, proper support for collections and series and knows how to read Amazon books as epubs, then the Forma is better. If they don't need quite as big then then the Libra might save €100.

If a real email client, real Android apps, and the SD card slot is important, then the Boyue Likebook Mars (7.8" 300 dpi) might be best. It's cheaper than the Forma or Oasis. No page turn buttons, but has audio on BT and jack socket and BT keyboard works. KoReader APK can be downloaded and installed without out jailbreak using built in browser. Built in PDF reader is the best I've used.

I use the Libra for proof reading/annotation and the Mars for PDFs that don't need a bigger screen and also most ebooks I'm not annotating, though Libra is OK for smaller page PDF instruction manuals (A5 works).

There is really only a marginal difference in legibility, brightness in ambient light and contrast between those 7", 7.8" and 8" readers.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 02:52 PM   #94
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
You'd go with the Forma over the Oasis even if it had ten times poorer contrast. No need to search for excuses. We all know your preferences.

Anyway, IMO it's been proved in this thread that Kobo is not always and necessarily better at image rendering and contrast. Some Kobo readers are better than some Kindles, and some Kindles are better than some Kobos.

Me, I don't really care. Both Kobo and Amazon produce excellent readers and I'm happy with both my Libra and my Oasis.
Are you satisfied with the uniformity of the lighting on the Libra, especially in the dark?
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 03:54 PM   #95
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
Are you satisfied with the uniformity of the lighting on the Libra, especially in the dark?
I never read in the dark. That said, yes, my Libra is not all that uniform. But it's not so bad it really bothers me.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 11:53 AM   #96
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
After looking at the new photos o the KO3 and Forma, I have to say, I'd go with the Forma. The text looked better and for the images, the KO3 lost detail that the Forma shows.
Interesting...which of these photos do you think shows more detail?

Shari
Attached Images

shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 12:36 PM   #97
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post

Shari
I think there is some problem with your attached image. (I can't get it to open.)
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 12:53 PM   #98
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I think there is some problem with your attached image. (I can't get it to open.)
I think it may be that the thumbnails are the actual size of the photos. They are snips of the photos that were posted by moorekom.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 01:02 PM   #99
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
I think it may be that the thumbnails are the actual size of the photos. They are snips of the photos that were posted by moorekom.

Shari
Thanks. I was trapped by an assumption.

Good luck getting a relevant and specific response.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 01:44 PM   #100
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
In the covers that were posted, some spots have more detail on the Kindle and some on the Kobo. But overall, the Kobo has more detail. Picking and choosing which bits you want to show is not a good way to compare. I can pick bits that show the Kobo is better and I can pick bits that show the Kindle is better.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 03:45 AM   #101
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Thanks. I was trapped by an assumption.

Good luck getting a relevant and specific response.
Unfortunately, the cover photos aren't very useful to compare contrast (that is the title of thread). They are different. The obvious thing is in the title block. The text is different which means that overall cover image has been handled differently. And if you look at the actual picture, the framing of the picture used in the cover is different. The one used on the Kobo is wider than on the Kindle. The easiest spot to see that is if you look at the birds on near the edge on the right. They are closer to the edge on the Kindle than on the Kobo. You can see the same thing on the left with how close the building is to the edge. So, are the differences that are apparent, because the screen is better on one than the other? Or were they already in the image when it was put into these books. That makes it hard to know if the differences we are seeing in those photos are differences in the devices or the original cover images embedded in the books.

And that, to me, is noticeable in @shaly's snippets. The snippet from the Kindle is clearly more detailed than the one from the Kobo. But, in @moorekom's photos, if you look at the back of the person in the photo with the Kobo on the left, that looks more detailed than the Kindle in the same photo. Maybe the image was processed at some point to emphasise the person and blur the background.

I went looking for the book in the Kobo store to look at the preview. The Australian store has a completely different cover (more like a logo with the title above and the author below). Trying the Kobo US gives a cover similar to that in the Kindle in @moorekom's photos but has a "Netflix" "sticker" on it. All that makes it hard to get an image I can look at and see how it looks to me on my devices.

The other problem here is that these comparisons are not just comparing the screens. Remember, the thread title says "better contrast" and the first post asks for "better screen". They are also comparing the source document and the other processing done of that document by the device. For text only, the comparison is probably mainly the screen. The exact font will have an affect, but, a little bit of open-mindedness can see beyond that. And comparing how multiple fonts are handled will give a trend for what is going on. For me, there isn't enough difference to worry about between the Kobo's and Kindles that I am seeing in the photos. It definitely isn't something I would notice about unless the devices were next to each other.

But, for images, there is also whatever is rendering the images. That blurs whether the it is the screen or something else. How the devices convert to grey scale is likely to have as much effect on the apparent contrast as the actual screen. As does whatever scaling has to be done to fit the image on the screen. And if you need to use the same image for the comparison. Otherwise, we don't know where the differences have crept in.

And for the record, in a lot of ways, I don't care about this. The quality of the screens and what is shown is well beyond any trigger point I have for problems. I still have a Kobo Touch and that does make me cringe. Especially when I think how good I thought it was when I first got it. Compared to the current devices, it is terrible. I look at these threads more from the academic view of seeing what people think, and whether I can see the differences being discussed. And to see whether someone has come up with a good way of testing. If I want to look at pictures, I am going to do it on my laptop or on my iPad.

And I have no idea if you will consider that relevant, or specific.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 05:25 AM   #102
Bilan
Bilan knows what's going on.Bilan knows what's going on.Bilan knows what's going on.Bilan knows what's going on.Bilan knows what's going on.Bilan knows what's going on.Bilan knows what's going on.Bilan knows what's going on.Bilan knows what's going on.Bilan knows what's going on.Bilan knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Just my 2 cents to say I have the KOA v1 since it is out. I'm very happy with it. For example I love the buttons. At the beginning I thought it was a detail, and I bought the model for the size of the screen. But now that I'm used with the buttons I wouldn't buy another model without it ! The only disappointment is the battery, compared to my Paperwhite. But it is not a big deal.

Some weeks ago I bought the Forma to try it. After 3 days I brought it back to the shop: The quality of the screen is far from the quality of the KOA ! And it's slow to refresh and you have the ghost of the precedent pages marked on the page you are reading. In the options, you can force the kobo to make a refresh/reset to the page but I never had this problem with KOA.
I advice you to go with the Oasis.

Last edited by Bilan; 07-23-2021 at 01:50 PM.
Bilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 02:26 PM   #103
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:

Shari

The one on the LEFT is sharper than the other image - in my opinion.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 02:45 PM   #104
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
The one on the LEFT is sharper than the other image - in my opinion.
That's because that's the one the camera was focused on and the other is blurry. So the comparison isn't valid because of this.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote