Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 11-01-2017, 03:43 PM   #1
Lemmy
Lemmy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Finshed/Published Book - Need to add new page

I have finished and published my Kindle book but due to a change in the subject I need to add a page at the end with the new information.

It looks like I am going to have to start from scratch because manually editing the TOC and nav files doesn't work. My book has several chapters and many many subheadings, all referred to in the TOC and nav.

I'd really like to add some references to the subheadings on the new page but I may have to settle for just a reference to jump to the new page.

I've wrestled with this but got nowhere - any ideas, anyone.....?
Lemmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:48 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
It looks like I am going to have to start from scratch because manually editing the TOC and nav files doesn't work. My book has several chapters and many many subheadings, all referred to in the TOC and nav.
Why on earth would you think that manually editing the toc and nav files "doesn't work"? Sigil will allow you to manually edit just about anything you want to.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 06:02 PM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I'm also a bit puzzled. If your chapter headings are formatted using h1..h6 tags, all you'd have to do is generate a new NAV TOC and then generate an HTML TOC from it.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 06:12 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
If your chapter headings are formatted using h1..h6 tags, all you'd have to do is generate a new NAV TOC and then generate an HTML TOC from it.
And if not, you insert/add the new ones where you need them.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 02:21 PM   #5
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Sigil has an excellent TOC Tool. Generally when I add a chapter (section), all I need do is go to the top menu and click on Tools > Table of Contents > Edit Table of Contents and then click on Okay.

My chapter headings are H2, and of course the added chapter is thus tagged. I have the Flight Crew plug-in installed, and after each such alteration I run it to make sure the altered epub validates.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 02:53 PM   #6
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If you've already extensively tweaked your HTML TOC for a better appearance than the auto-formatting, and you don't want this messed up by a new Create TOC run (and IF your extra page requires its own TOC entry - does it?) you can always add a marker and edit it manually into both the internal TOC and the HTML TOC.

But if you simply want to tag another few dozen lines of text to the end of the book, just do it. The TOC needn't come into it.

Last edited by exaltedwombat; 11-05-2017 at 08:20 PM.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote