Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 01-27-2018, 04:15 AM   #91
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
WE is the Club Jon. We very specifically decided that we do not want narrow genres, but themes which can be interpreted in a variety of ways, incorporating both fiction and non-fiction. Then from a broad group of books one will be selected by a majority of members and we shall all read it.

I do like Dazrin’s suggestion of Doomed to repeat it.
I see no reason not to have a narrowish theme. It depends on the theme and what you are trying to get out of it. If you want non-fiction, a theme where fiction fits won't work.

Another theme suggestion is Other worldly.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 04:16 AM   #92
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wasted on the Young is good because it helps the Back to School theme stay on track.

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-27-2018 at 10:21 AM.
Advert
Old 01-27-2018, 06:20 AM   #93
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And who is this WE? Personally, I do sometimes like a more narrow theme (depending on the theme). I like the idea of non-fiction. I also like the idea of fiction. The thing is, if the idea is to go as wide as possible, then why have themes and why not just go for any book? See, too wide and we could get too many different types of books. I think it should sometimes be narrowed more than you want.
Quote:
I see no reason not to have a narrowish theme. It depends on the theme and what you are trying to get out of it
I agree with you. I don't see why we sometimes can't have themes that are about something in particular, in addition to the anything goes themes. I think that's one reason themes such as "War" and "Revenge" appealed to me. It's a tad bizarre to insist narrowly on broad-based themes only!

Where we disagree is that I think once the theme is set, people are free to nominate whatever they think fits. We're not going to vet nominations for appropriateness. But narrower themes? As long as they're not genre themes, why not?
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 06:46 AM   #94
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've got a soft spot for "My favorite book no one's ever heard of" and I hope we can do it sometime. Who wouldn't want to find out about undiscovered gems?
Old 01-27-2018, 06:51 AM   #95
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
[b]Wasted on the Young[/i] is good because it helps the Back to School theme stay on track.
You think? Wouldn't erotica fit here too? More seriously: At some point we have to trust that the voting system will sort things out. And even if we get an unexpected book come through and win, it is still - by definition - the one that the most people want, so where's the problem?

As I said previously, I do like "Wasted on the Young" for a theme, very much, but I think it would be a mistake to get too upset over theme selection because it will be possible to come up with interesting (and unexpected by many) possibilities for almost any phrase.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2018, 06:54 AM   #96
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I've got a soft spot for "My favorite book no one's ever heard of" and I hope we can do it sometime. Who wouldn't want to find out about undiscovered gems?
I like it too ... but, with so many avid readers here, it is going to be difficult to come up with something that surprises a good percentage.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:19 AM   #97
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I have one that I think might do rather well in this sort of vein. book(s) I've always wanted to read but have just never gotten to it. Of course, if you can find a better name for that, feel free.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:24 AM   #98
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
You think? Wouldn't erotica fit here too? More seriously: At some point we have to trust that the voting system will sort things out. And even if we get an unexpected book come through and win, it is still - by definition - the one that the most people want, so where's the problem?

As I said previously, I do like "Wasted on the Young" for a theme, very much, but I think it would be a mistake to get too upset over theme selection because it will be possible to come up with interesting (and unexpected by many) possibilities for almost any phrase.
If someone manages to find a book that fits even though it was not the intention, so be it
Old 01-27-2018, 11:22 AM   #99
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
My library has organized their recommended book shelves by Plot, Places, People and Prose. It's made for interesting browsing, particularly the prose section.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 12:02 PM   #100
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
I like that too, but some of those favorite books that haven't been heard of also haven't been digitized. So that might create limitations.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 12:42 PM   #101
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I like that too, but some of those favorite books that haven't been heard of also haven't been digitized. So that might create limitations.
We don't have a rule that a book needs to be available in digital format, but it does make it a less likely selection.
Old 01-27-2018, 03:12 PM   #102
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
It creates a limitation for me and if a pBook wins, I'm not going to be able to participate. So what this does is limit participation for some.

One other thing I just thought of. The rule of "if you vote, you have to read the winner" should be looked at because we are in different countries, What if books are up for vote that some people just cannot get? I do feel it's unfair to them to prevent them from voting. With these people voting, maybe a book they can get might win instead and thus, more people able to participate.

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-27-2018 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-27-2018, 04:46 PM   #103
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
Quote:
It creates a limitation for me and if a pBook wins---

---- we are in different countries, What if books are up for vote that some people just cannot get? ----
Fortunately availability is in the nomination guidelines, and I sincerely hope people remember to check availability in various places (and format) when nominating I know that I would check the nominated books in my region (Europe) and would comment on it if it were not available.

Also, I do not read pBooks, except for work, too cumbersome and my eBook TBR is long enough to keep me busy
June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 04:54 PM   #104
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
It creates a limitation for me and if a pBook wins, I'm not going to be able to participate. So what this does is limit participation for some.

One other thing I just thought of. The rule of "if you vote, you have to read the winner" should be looked at because we are in different countries, What if books are up for vote that some people just cannot get? I do feel it's unfair to them to prevent them from voting. With these people voting, maybe a book they can get might win instead and thus, more people able to participate.
Yes, you are right Jon, as some people can have difficulties with paper books in terms of size of print - my husband has given up trying to read pbooks because of vision problems.

As June says, we do need to try to check on availability in various countries before we nominate a book, but that can be tricky sometimes unless people are able to have an account in a country other than their own.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 05:02 PM   #105
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
I have one that I think might do rather well in this sort of vein. book(s) I've always wanted to read but have just never gotten to it. Of course, if you can find a better name for that, feel free.
That sounds as if it might fit with Bookworm-Girl’s suggestion of Help reduce my TBR pile! We could call it From my pile to yours.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote