Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 02-02-2017, 12:14 PM   #16
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigilBear View Post
It just occurred to me that even if the author didn't die until last year, he still wouldn't be able to sue me if he's dead. I suppose someone could sue me on his behalf or just for the sake of suing me, but I wonder how likely that would be.
He can't no, but his estate could.
Here is the thing, no library will even look at your book unless you can prove you have permission from the estate or whoever has the rights to publish it.

I wouldn't try putting it up for sale anywhere either. Amazon, Kobo and Google can and do check permissions.
I know someone that seriously violated copyright laws. She can't even publish or buy from Amazon anymore. They took her accounts away from her and she sure didn't get any money from the book sales.

Oh and if it was/is such a great reference, why hasn't anyone over the last 70+ years bothered with a reprint.

Or I do have a better idea for you.
Since you think this is such a great reference, rather than stealing someone else's work why don't you write your own reference book. You could use that book as a starting point.

Thing is you don't have the right to profit off this book. Oh and if the publisher is one of the biggies, they could come after you hard.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 12:20 PM   #17
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, I contacted its current publisher, and they verified that it's in the public domain. I also found a scanned version at Google Books, though I can't find it now. I wonder if the publisher objected to Google putting a scanned version of THEIR version online.

"Thank you for your inquiry. I can confirm that this title is out of print and the content within is considered public domain. You are free to include quote portions on your website without further permission. "
You better reread that sentence. Portions not the entire book.
The content yes, due the subject nature.

Did you ask specifically if you could make an ebook and put it up for sale?
That is the question you needed to ask.

I know, at one point I had a newsletter. I got permission to reprint with credit given from several biggies.

And libraries still won't look at you. Licenses and stuff like that. It is way more complicated than you think.
Advert
Old 02-02-2017, 02:55 PM   #18
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Even if it would be PD, The original edition would be obsolete.
I was around when state #49 and later, state #50 were added.

Why not contact the Author (or estate) and get WRITTEN permission to publish a e-edition?
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 05:44 PM   #19
SigilBear
Banned
SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iBooks
Thanks for the tips. I sent a more specific inquiry asking for written permission to reprint the entire book.

As for the value of the book, it's a classic reference that has been reprinted many times, at least as recently as 1975. It probably hasn't been reprinted since then because 1) libraries (presumably the primary market) are already well stocked, and 2) it now has competition from a more recent (though still outdated, not to mention poorly written) book.

I'm starting from scratch, writing a much better reference. But I thought it would be cool to practice creating epubs with the original book, which still has some value. The author's research on the origin of state names is notable, for example. His book is plugged on one or two major state symbols websites.

Also, I don't need to sell 10,000 books to succeed. If I could sell just 100 books directly (or maybe 300 through Amazon), I'd be satisfied. It would be nice to raise a little money that I could invest in my second book.

Having self-published a paperback long ago, I know that selling books is a racket, and I'm not sure if I'll even be able to sell 100 books. But I really have nothing to lose except the time I spent working on this project. My paperback was a very expensive disaster, especially after my distributor collapsed due to some major computer blowup.

I also have a Plan B: Give the ebook to libraries free of charge. That would be a great way to publicize my second book, which is really my primary objective.

P.S. If the current publisher isn't able to answer my questions, how do I track down the author's "estate"?
SigilBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 06:49 PM   #20
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

A library will not talk to you. They can't risk it.
The book was published in 1946. Therefore it is not in public domain. The information is public domain. but the pictures and other stuff isn't.
Libraries use Gale to vet their books.
You cannot just walk into a library and say here is a free book. It doesn't work that way.

The best you can do is go to ebooksareforever, and hope they accept your book. Which they won't do to the original publication date. Which is nowhere near public domain.

Give up on that book and write your own. Oh and find pictures that will look good in grayscale.
Advert
Old 02-03-2017, 06:53 PM   #21
SigilBear
Banned
SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Why do I need pictures that look good in grayscale? Don't all ebook viewing devices display color images?
Old 02-03-2017, 07:28 PM   #22
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Why do I need pictures that look good in grayscale? Don't all ebook viewing devices display color images?
NO
Many of us LOVE e-ink devices (monochrome)

ALSO
Some books do not lend themselves to small screens or reflow.

Know your market.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 07:45 PM   #23
SigilBear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
NO
Some books do not lend themselves to small screens or reflow.
I plan on creating two versions of my second (and most important) book - reflowable and fixed layout. Actually, I'll have to buy four ISBN numbers, because I want to create fixed and reflowable versions for both Amazon and iBooks.

As for the gray-scale images, I'll have to give that some thought. As a web designer, I learned long ago that there are only so many hoops one can or should jump through (like making sure your web pages work with Microsoft's notoriously crappy browsers, for example).

My primary book is going to have hundreds of pictures, and there's no way I could possibly find time to adapt each one to gray-scale.

Thanks for the tip, though; I'll keep it in mind for future projects that don't feature as many images.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:40 PM   #24
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
I plan on creating two versions of my second (and most important) book - reflowable and fixed layout. Actually, I'll have to buy four ISBN numbers, because I want to create fixed and reflowable versions for both Amazon and iBooks.

As for the gray-scale images, I'll have to give that some thought. As a web designer, I learned long ago that there are only so many hoops one can or should jump through (like making sure your web pages work with Microsoft's notoriously crappy browsers, for example).

My primary book is going to have hundreds of pictures, and there's no way I could possibly find time to adapt each one to gray-scale.

Thanks for the tip, though; I'll keep it in mind for future projects that don't feature as many images.
You don't need to buy an ISBN for your Amazon ebook.

Might I recommend you do more research into the ebook world before diving off the deep end head first.
I do wish you luck and I admire your enthusiasm.
First go read the blog "A newbies guide to self publishing. Then go to russellblake.com.
Those blogs can steer you in the right direction.

By the way, both those guys are major top sellers.
If you find something extremely useful there, you can tell them cinisajoy recommended them.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:50 PM   #25
SigilBear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
You don't need to buy an ISBN for your Amazon ebook.
I'm aware that publishers aren't required to purchase ISBN numbers, but isn't it considered a good practice? If I remember correctly, an ISBN number is required to get your book catalogued in the Library of Congress.

My perception was that an ISBN number tends to separate the pros from the amateurs. On the other hand, I also learned that you have to buy a separate ISBN for each version of your epub, which could get kind of expensive.

Last edited by SigilBear; 02-03-2017 at 08:58 PM.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:19 PM   #26
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
I'm aware that publishers aren't required to purchase ISBN numbers, but isn't it considered a good practice? If I remember correctly, an ISBN number is required to get your book catalogued in the Library of Congress.

My perception was that an ISBN number tends to separate the pros from the amateurs. On the other hand, I also learned that you have to buy a separate ISBN for each version of your epub, which could get kind of expensive.
You need an ISBN for paper books. As to ebooks, no.
Oh and if you use Createspace for your paper book, they provide the ISBN.

ISBNs don't say anything about pros or amateurs.
Now I could write you a short post on what makes you look like a pro.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:21 PM   #27
SigilBear
Banned

That's a good tip; it will save me some money.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:26 PM   #28
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Tips for not looking self-published.
1. Professional writing. Get a proofreader and an editor.
Nothing screams self-published more than homonym and spelling errors.
2. A good cover is a must.
3. Proper English. Make sure your sentences are in the right order.
4. Invest in your book. If you aren't willing to spend the money to make it look good, why should a reader spend their money on it.

Now since I am tired of paraphrasing my favorite authors, go read those blogs.
Joe and Russell won't steer you wrong.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:39 PM   #29
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
The book was published in 1946. Therefore it is not in public domain.
Only if the copyright was renewed in 1974.

There are many books published after 1922 and before 1964 where copyright lapsed because it wasn't renewed.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 11:01 PM   #30
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Only if the copyright was renewed in 1974.

There are many books published after 1922 and before 1964 where copyright lapsed because it wasn't renewed.
I was going by Brian's comment about 95 years.
And the OP did say it was reprinted in 1975.

In any case, I would either triple check or just use all the facts and redo the book as my own.

Tags
gale, library