Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-04-2016, 06:16 AM   #1
amorales
amorales is less competitive than you.amorales is less competitive than you.amorales is less competitive than you.amorales is less competitive than you.amorales is less competitive than you.amorales is less competitive than you.amorales is less competitive than you.amorales is less competitive than you.amorales is less competitive than you.amorales is less competitive than you.amorales is less competitive than you.

Device: Kobo aura one
KSM8 + Koreader is this right?

Couldnt follow the instructions to the letter on Mac as they seem to be written for Windows systems etc. On Mac it doesnt show the rest of the folders eg .kobo

On Windows machine went ahead and installed in KSM8 (latest version I could see here) then went ahead and plugged in the KSM update for KSM for aura one. Then after that downloaded the latest Koreader nightly and dropped in the koreader folder within the zip into .adds folder on kobo.

Whenever KSM starts shows me option Start koreader. But choosing this option seems to do nothing? Choosing Start Nickel starts up the kobo as per normal.

On homepage clicking KOreader just shows the koreader image file...

Am I supposed to choose or do something in KSM?

How do I even know which one is nickel and which one is koreader when looking at PDF?
amorales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 06:50 AM   #2
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by amorales View Post
Couldnt follow the instructions to the letter on Mac as they seem to be written for Windows systems etc. On Mac it doesnt show the rest of the folders eg .kobo
You can change the settings on the Mac to the effect that it shows folders starting with a dot. I am not a Mac user myself and do not know the details, but you should be able to find the information by searching the web.

Quote:
Whenever KSM starts shows me option Start koreader. But choosing this option seems to do nothing?
Maybe ask in the KOReader forum whether the build you are using is supposed to work on KA1. Or simply try another build.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2016, 07:48 AM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
You can change the settings on the Mac to the effect that it shows folders starting with a dot. I am not a Mac user myself and do not know the details, but you should be able to find the information by searching the web.
http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac...ierra-3520878/
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 07:54 AM   #4
amorales
amorales is less competitive than you.amorales is less competitive than you.amorales is less competitive than you.amorales is less competitive than you.amorales is less competitive than you.amorales is less competitive than you.amorales is less competitive than you.amorales is less competitive than you.amorales is less competitive than you.amorales is less competitive than you.amorales is less competitive than you.

Quote:

Maybe ask in the KOReader forum whether the build you are using is supposed to work on KA1. Or simply try another build.
KSM doesn't actually include koreader correct?

I recall reading koreader having fixed that issue 2 weeks back or something and just assumed it'd be in latest nightly.
Old 11-04-2016, 08:25 AM   #5
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
KSM doesn't actually include koreader correct?
This is correct.
Quote:
I recall reading koreader having fixed that issue 2 weeks back or something and just assumed it'd be in latest nightly.
Going by your description, I was only guessing that there might have been a problem with the last KOReader build. Of course, I do not know for sure.
Advert
Old 11-04-2016, 08:33 AM   #6
amorales

I must have downloaded old version...

This link states its latest
https://github.com/koreader/koreader....08.23-nightly

but github states 79 commits since + they fixed the KA1 issue much later than that date

wondering where this build that works for everyone is or am I supposed to download the master release and somehow build my own from it or something?
Old 11-04-2016, 08:54 AM   #7
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
I must have downloaded old version...

This link states its latest
https://github.com/koreader/koreader....08.23-nightly

but github states 79 commits since + they fixed the KA1 issue much later than that date

wondering where this build that works for everyone is or am I supposed to download the master release and somehow build my own from it or something?

adrians reported here that he was
Quote:
currently using build 654 with my new KA1 (with latest firmware) and KSM8. KSM works fairly well minus a few minor issues which I need to report.
Edit: Maybe I should add that the latest nightly builds are to be found here.

Last edited by tshering; 11-04-2016 at 09:10 AM.
Old 11-04-2016, 09:38 AM   #8
amorales

Quote:
adrians reported here that he was

Edit: Maybe I should add that the latest nightly builds are to be found here.
You sir are awesome!

That link worked and version 666 from that link worked.

Wow! What a difference it makes in manga pdf using Koreader vs default Nickel.

Thanks so much!
Old 11-04-2016, 09:52 AM   #9
yacoob
Zealot
yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.

Device: none
Quote:
What difference does it make? I'm very curious to hear about it :)
yacoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 11:09 AM   #10
amorales

Quote:
Originally Posted by yacoob View Post
What difference does it make? I'm very curious to hear about it
PDF loads a lot quicker. Clicking over to new pages is a lot quicker too. The experience with PDFs is a lot more enjoyable and quicker.

Last edited by amorales; 11-04-2016 at 11:23 AM.
Old 11-05-2016, 03:27 AM   #11
amorales

Quick question.

Had to sign out of account on the Kobo and it appeared after signing in that it deleted KSM?

Is this correct?

If so, I uploaded the koboroot file into .Kobo and ksm functionality came back. But appears as though doesn't need the ksm update version C or that it's still in there?

Koreader now doesn't switch in nickel but brings up the ksm screen again and then clicking start koreader does? Reboot option just reboots with no koreader ksm functionality etc?
Old 11-05-2016, 07:09 AM   #12
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Quick question.

Had to sign out of account on the Kobo and it appeared after signing in that it deleted KSM?

Is this correct?
I do not expect that signing out and in should have an effect on KSM. Could you give more details on how this happened? It is possible that you received a firmware update at the same time, and that in addition to that you did not yet completely finish your installation of KSM by skipping the following point:
Code:
select "tools" > "activate" > "set runmenu settings.msh" > "always"
(Have a look at the first post of the KSM 8 thread.) If this the case, KSM was unable to give you control over the update process, and the firmware update overwrote a small part of KSM. This would explain, why you did not need to newly install the KSM update C.
Quote:
Koreader now doesn't switch in nickel but brings up the ksm screen again and then clicking start koreader does? Reboot option just reboots with no koreader ksm functionality etc?
Did you per chance copy the last version of Koreader to .kobo instead as to .adds? Then chances are that signing out will delete the koreader folder. Anyway, look if the koreader folder is in .adds, if not, put it there again.

Edit: If you had already completed the installation of KSM, and you were asked to handle the firmware update, have a look at this post.

Last edited by tshering; 11-05-2016 at 07:25 AM.
Old 11-06-2016, 02:38 AM   #13
amorales

Quote:
I do not expect that signing out and in should have an effect on KSM. Could you give more details on how this happened? It is possible that you received a firmware update at the same time, and that in addition to that you did not yet completely finish your installation of KSM by skipping the following point:
Code:
select "tools" > "activate" > "set runmenu settings.msh" > "always"
(Have a look at the first post of the KSM 8 thread.) If this the case, KSM was unable to give you control over the update process, and the firmware update overwrote a small part of KSM. This would explain, why you did not need to newly install the KSM update C.
Did you per chance copy the last version of Koreader to .kobo instead as to .adds? Then chances are that signing out will delete the koreader folder. Anyway, look if the koreader folder is in .adds, if not, put it there again.

Edit: If you had already completed the installation of KSM, and you were asked to handle the firmware update, have a look at this post.
Hi

I simply signed out of my account and when I signed back in noticed it.

I had installed koreader in .apps and when I checked it was there.

The firmware is still the same 4.1.7729.

I had not run the activate-> set run menu settings.msh -> always.
Have done so now though.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:23 AM   #14
ballfresno
Addict
ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (Sage, Aura One, Aura HD, & Touch); reMarkable tablet.
Quote:
You sir are awesome!

That link worked and version 666 from that link worked.

Thanks so much!
After I don't know how many reboots, uploads, etc., I finally got koreader going on my KA1. I used version 666 as well; earlier ones that I tried did not get me anywhere.

Thanks to all!
ballfresno is offline   Reply With Quote