Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-08-2010, 10:00 PM   #1
leighisme
Connoisseur
leighisme began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, iPhone 4, iPad2
Updated Kobo Desktop

Kobo released an update to the desktop today. It no longer erases bookmarks on the Kobo! Yay!!
leighisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:04 AM   #2
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighisme View Post
Kobo released an update to the desktop today. It no longer erases bookmarks on the Kobo! Yay!!
Cannot comment on desktop apps, since I use none. But I see that
a lot of users mix 2 (or more) and almost always find the way to do
a brick sooner or latter. I assume that someone could be willing to
make a little tutorial for that and put it in sticky. A lot of energy was
lost solving the same problem all again and again. If possible, one
such a manual on the top would solve time to ask and search on the
parallel forums. New features? In that thread. Solved issues. Again
in that thread.
I cannot help, cause I put files by the hand and live happily.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2010, 01:35 AM   #3
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
My husband uses the app. I'll probably install the new one on his machine and see what happens. I'm with Z though in terms of bypassing the desktop application.

My general sense is that what they are building out with it is the ability to successfully sync mobile and desktop devices each running the Kobo application designed for it--for example, a smartphone, tablet, e-reader, PC or MAC--all syncing the same books purchased from Kobo.

For our own readers, the only thing I know for sure is that mixing things like the Border and the Kobo application, or two ADE accounts never seems to work.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:34 AM   #4
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
I simply use Calibre to transfer and convert. Takes all the issues away for me.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:18 PM   #5
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2013, 06:45 AM   #6
AnneW39
AnneW39 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc, Sony PRS650
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
When I tried Calibre some time back I couldn't find any way to handle the DRM'd books bought from Kobo and Waterstones. Is there a solution to this? Aldiko (on Android) offers to link to my Adobe account to deal with them. If Calibre can do this I'd be very interested, since a very high proportion of my books are DRM'd.
AnneW39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:18 AM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneW39 View Post
When I tried Calibre some time back I couldn't find any way to handle the DRM'd books bought from Kobo and Waterstones. Is there a solution to this? Aldiko (on Android) offers to link to my Adobe account to deal with them. If Calibre can do this I'd be very interested, since a very high proportion of my books are DRM'd.
The more legitimate solution is to use ADE to transfer the books and handle the DRM. The less legitimate solution is to google Apprentice Alf. Depending on your area, this may be more or less legal. Note that any discussion about removing DRM is severely frowned up.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:13 AM   #8
AnneW39

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The more legitimate solution is to use ADE to transfer the books and handle the DRM. The less legitimate solution is to google Apprentice Alf. Depending on your area, this may be more or less legal. Note that any discussion about removing DRM is severely frowned up.
I'm not interested in doing anything even border-line illegal - these are book legally bought, so it's just a matter of reading convenience. I'm not aware of ADE, though I have heard of Apprentice Alf. Clearly I need to do some research on these two, starting with ADE. Thanks for the hint.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:40 PM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Many members here use Alf (along with calibre) for books which they have legitimately purchased.

Information only: MobileRead does not allow instructions and/or links on how to circumvent DRM.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:19 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneW39 View Post
I'm not interested in doing anything even border-line illegal - these are book legally bought, so it's just a matter of reading convenience. I'm not aware of ADE, though I have heard of Apprentice Alf. Clearly I need to do some research on these two, starting with ADE. Thanks for the hint.
If you don't have ADE, how are you downloading the epubs with DRM? As far as I can tell, all the shops that sell DRM protected epubs require ADE to download them. The download link is to an ACSM file. This is handled by ADE.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:15 AM   #11
AnneW39

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
If you don't have ADE, how are you downloading the epubs with DRM? As far as I can tell, all the shops that sell DRM protected epubs require ADE to download them. The download link is to an ACSM file. This is handled by ADE.
I am beginning to suspect that you refer to Adobe Digital Editions. There are more than one answer to this question.

The earliest ones were downloaded by the Sony Reader Library app, which links to your Adobe registration. Later, most were downloaded via the Kobo app, but also by downloading the acsm and handling through Adobe Digital Editions for disply on my Sony. A few were downloaded or imported through Aldiko. This works very similarly to the Sony app, asking for your Adobe credentials and linking to your account.

I do like the convenience of directly getting the downloads on Kobo, just as Amazon customers like it on their Kindles, but Aldiko is actually nicer for reading.

I got a new Kobo update a few days ago, allowing me to create shelves, which I've long wanted, but since then some of my books will not display. I get the cover page(s) then a busy icon. I'm pretty unhappy at the moment.