Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-21-2013, 03:45 PM   #2956
Capnwalker
Banned
Capnwalker knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Capnwalker knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Capnwalker knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Capnwalker knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Capnwalker knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Capnwalker knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Capnwalker knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Capnwalker knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Capnwalker knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Capnwalker knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Capnwalker knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3g keyboard
Hi guys, I have a kk 3g (k3g) and I installed a few years ago the ss hack and the JB. I was able to install the new JB no problem. (went from .07 to .11) and was going to update my ss hack ( from.22 to .34) I installed the python as the post stated then attempted to install the .34. unsuccessful. then tried to uninstall the .22. unsuccessful. now my kindle battery drains in about a day and I don't have any screen savers (they reverted to the default kindle ones) I haven't seen any uninstall python files.( I guess I could have missed them) it was when I installed that, that I started having issues. any ideas???? I have read the going to factory is bad without uninstalling, so I stopped right here. Help PLEASE!

I was thinking that maybe I should just uninstall the JB and start over with a factory reset.. But what about the other hack that won't uninstall?

Last edited by Capnwalker; 01-21-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Capnwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:08 PM   #2957
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Python - Just delete that directory - that is the only uninstall for it.

"Going to factory" ? ? - If you mean a return for replacement - they ship the replacement before they ever see yours.

You started having issues before installing Python - because that install can't do anything expect take up a small amount of storage space.

Your battery is probably getting old.
At least from your description, that is what it sounds like.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2013, 04:25 PM   #2958
Capnwalker
Banned
Capnwalker knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Capnwalker knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Capnwalker knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Capnwalker knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Capnwalker knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Capnwalker knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Capnwalker knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Capnwalker knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Capnwalker knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Capnwalker knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Capnwalker knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Python - Just delete that directory - that is the only uninstall for it.

"Going to factory" ? ? - If you mean a return for replacement - they ship the replacement before they ever see yours.

You started having issues before installing Python - because that install can't do anything expect take up a small amount of storage space.

Your battery is probably getting old.
At least from your description, that is what it sounds like.
Thanks for the quick reply!
I suppose that I should have said " reset to factory defaults" if that makes it a little clearer
The battery issue was only after I started messing with the JB again. a week ago I was only charging my kindle once or twice a month. after the 17th of Jan ( when I saw that there was a ss hack that allowed me to have my kindle book covers as my ss) I started to play with it again and THAT was when the battery issue developed ( after I installed the new JB AND Python and .34 ss hack)
Old 01-21-2013, 05:28 PM   #2959
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Wolowizardry: What twobob said, plus:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Jailbreak:

Note for Kindle 4 Users

Please skip this section and refer to the Wiki instead.
@Capnwalker: On a wild guess, something seems to be wonky with your JB. How did you update it, exactly? (ie. did you properly uninstall it first, using the uninstaller from the latest version, and then did you do a full restart before installing the latest version?). Gonna need some error codes for those update failures. (But, yes, as knc1 said, the Python stuff doesn't actually do anything on its own, and since you failed to upgrade the SS hack to a version that actually uses it, yep, completely unrelated. Same thing on the JB front, it's inert.).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 01-21-2013 at 05:33 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:38 PM   #2960
Capnwalker
Banned

@Capnwalker: On a wild guess, something seems to be wonky with your JB. How did you update it, exactly? (ie. did you properly uninstall it first, using the uninstaller from the latest version, and then did you do a full restart before installing the latest version?). Gonna need some error codes for those update failures. (But, yes, as knc1 said, the Python stuff doesn't actually do anything on its own, and since you failed to upgrade the SS hack to a version that actually uses it, yep, completely unrelated. Same thing on the JB front, it's inert.).[/QUOTE]

I was under the impression that I would just have to install the newest JB without having to uninstall anything. so That is what I did and it seemed to work. (No error codes) now ANYTHING I do hack-wise fails with a "update failed" message. let me try it again and I can get you the error code, but I seem to remember that it was "error 1" I will edit this with the exact error when I get it.

(BTW: I'm running a K3g (B006) on 3.4 FW and Had (originally) the 2.3 JB, the Fonts hack 4.6N and the SS hack .22) What I tried to move to was the .11 JB the update python 0.3 and the SS hack .34.

Last edited by Capnwalker; 01-21-2013 at 05:42 PM.
Advert
Old 01-21-2013, 05:42 PM   #2961
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Capnwalker: Well, that was a wrong impression, in the JailBreak's case .

Quote:
Next, no need to run the update_*_uninstall.bin updates, ever. (except in some specific cases, like if you're updating the jailbreak on a 3.x device, or from another font/ss hack [in which case you should use the original uninstaller for your hacks, and not the ones found here]).
And, then, wrong again, if you're not seeing an U00x error:

Quote:
Don't try to force a custom update by rebooting your Kindle. You should *always* install custom hacks via the Settings page. If the 'Update Your Kindle' link is greyed out, it's because you uploaded the wrong binfile for your device. Don't try to force an install by rebooting. It'll, at best, fail, and at worst, force you to start your Kindle in recovery mode to delete the offending update.
EDIT:
Regardless of the latest error code, you'll probably have to:

* First, restart your Kindle
* Uninstall the JailBreak (with the latest uninstaller)
* Restart your Kindle again
* Install the latest JailBreak

That should get things back on track .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 01-21-2013 at 05:48 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:03 PM   #2962
Capnwalker
Banned

@NiLuJe: thanks for the quick and timely info. I am trying that right now. the last thing that I had tried was the JB uninstall and then I restarted it once and it restarted itself again. after that, the JB .11 installed successfully and the python too.
now just trying the new SS hack *fingers crossed*
edit; that worked too!
all I did different was delete the updates and old python files,. thanks for the help guys! :-)

Last edited by Capnwalker; 01-21-2013 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:23 PM   #2963
Wolowizardry
Wolowizardry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wolowizardry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wolowizardry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wolowizardry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wolowizardry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wolowizardry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wolowizardry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wolowizardry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wolowizardry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wolowizardry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wolowizardry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kinlde 4 (Grey)
I just Jailbrake and install custom screensavers hack on my kindle 4 software 4.1 in less than 20 min everything went super smooth, and really thanks niluje and everyone involved in the project... THANKS!!!
Wolowizardry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:43 AM   #2964
mr.anastasov
mr.anastasov knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'mr.anastasov knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'mr.anastasov knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'mr.anastasov knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'mr.anastasov knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'mr.anastasov knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'mr.anastasov knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'mr.anastasov knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'mr.anastasov knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'mr.anastasov knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'mr.anastasov knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3g
Hello, I am little new to this stuff, so excuse my stupidity. I would like to ask if my kindle version is 3.4 I should use the jailbrake for 3.3, and also I tried doing that I put the bin file in the folder .active-content-data.I fallow the steps from the readme file, but when I go in menu->settings->menu the update option is grey and unavailable.
Thank you!
mr.anastasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:45 AM   #2965
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.anastasov View Post
I put the bin file in the folder .active-content-data.
Say what?
Tell us where you found a folder of that name please.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:10 PM   #2966
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@mr.anastasov: You're probably reading outdated docs. There shouldn't be any question of which file to use on FW 3.3/3.4.

And, no, when we say root, we mean root, not any of the other subdirectories, especially not if they happen to be hidden (dot files/directory: hidden *nix files).
Old 01-26-2013, 02:18 PM   #2967
KingDemon
KingDemon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle4
Help

Hey guys, I recently got a kindle 4.1 (Wifi,Black), found your great community....read the How to Install for k4...followed the steps
1. JailBreaking (kindle-jailbreak-k4-1.5.N)......Success
2. Python Install (kindle-python-0.3.N-k4) .....Success
3. ScreenSaver hack (kindle-ss-0.34.N)......Success

but its still showing the amazon screensavers (from /system/.assets) not from linkss/screensavers.

KingDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:47 PM   #2968
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@KingDemon:
Quote:
Note for Kindle Special Offers Users:

This doesn't, and won't ever, help you bypass something you agreed to (screensaver ads), so please stop asking.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:59 AM   #2969
Richi
Richi began at the beginning.

Device: Аmazon kindle 2.5.8(ver.K 2.5.8 B003A*********)
ver.K 2.5.8 B003A*********

Help me find a Russian virtual keyboard on this model please ver.K 2.5.8 B003A *********.
Richi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:31 PM   #2970
dider
dider possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timedider possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timedider possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timedider possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timedider possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timedider possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timedider possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timedider possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timedider possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timedider possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timedider possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: kindle4
Will the newest update from Amazon for the Kindle 4 (version 4.1.1) screw up my device? I have jailbreak and screensaver hack installed on a Kindle with 4.1 firmware.

Thanks for an amazingly helpful thread!
dider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet