Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-10-2006, 01:29 PM   #1
tekchic
Zealot
tekchic doesn't littertekchic doesn't litter

Device: iPhone X, iPad Pro
SD Card Troubleshooting

I used Sony Connect software to put five rtf books onto my SD card (512mb DaneElec brand(?) SD). I disconnected the Reader, and put the SD Card in there, and turned on the unit. It scanned and read the books, but when I went to open one, it was like it lost the memory card entirely, and my book count went from 30 to 25. Successive insert/ejects couldn't get it to read those books on the SD card again.

The 512 SD card works fine in my PC, works fine through Sony Connect, but Sony Reader doesn't play well with it. I don't know if it's because it's an off brand or what.

To troubleshoot, I took the 2gig mini-SD card out of my phone, put it in an adapter this time (ha ha), and put it into the Reader card slot. Bam! It cataloged all my rtf files and I was able to pull them up fine and read them.

I remember a post where someone said that the Sony Reader only catalogs once, and beyond that you have to reset the Reader if files on a card change. Is this true? Does that mean if you take the SD card and add more books to it, Sony won't catalog those?

Debating whether to just go purchase another SD card (this was an older one that worked fine up until now). I wanted to use my Magic Gate Pro Duo 512 mem stick from my PSP, but apparently they don't just sell the adapters by themselves anymore, so I'm out of luck there.

Anyone had issues with it refusing to read certain SD card brands?
tekchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 01:36 PM   #2
griffbrad
griffbrad began at the beginning.

No, it updates

I'm not sure about the compatibility issuse with your card, but the reader definitely detects changes (both adding and removing) when the card is inserted.
griffbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2006, 01:37 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
It should re-cat the card each time it's inserted. Alternately, you can use the USB cable and put the files directly on the card via the Connect Software. It should work the way you're doing it, though.

I think I remember having a similar issue when I first had mine ... but it stopped after a few minutes and has behaved since then.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 02:21 PM   #4
tekchic
Zealot

I've seen over the years with PocketPC's where certain SD readers/units are grumpy with certain brands of SD cards. It likes my 2gig Sandisk mini-SD just fine (actually catalogued surprisingly fast), so I may go pick up a "brand" name SD card and see if I have better luck.

Thanks for the confirmation on re-cataloguing items!
Old 10-10-2006, 02:25 PM   #5
Slava
Addict
Slava doesn't litterSlava doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 · iPad · K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekchic
I remember a post where someone said that the Sony Reader only catalogs once, and beyond that you have to reset the Reader if files on a card change. Is this true?
Well, it was me I had problems with the old memory stick. I also didn't like memory slot cover, it looks too flimsy. So I ended up with USB transfer.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2006, 03:08 PM   #6
tekchic
Zealot

I agree on the cover -- makes me nervous to flip it open, looks like it could pop off easily. I'll stick to USB transfer for the most part.

I do freelance writing on the side, and it's really nice to stick the mini SD card into the reader to read an article or manuscript I'm working on -- WAY nicer than reading it back on my tiny T-Mobile MDA screen
Old 10-10-2006, 03:26 PM   #7
Slava
Addict

Well, if Reader for some reason doesn't rescan SD card, you can alway reset it, and once rebooted Reader will rescan the card.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:23 PM   #8
Xtremegene
Connoisseur
Xtremegene began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500 --- Nokia n800
I've actually had the exact same problem as you, tekchic, though I was trying to open some PDF files. I've been trying to use a Kingston 256 MB SD card.

The cache.xml is there fine (made from the Connect PC software), but anytime I've opened a PDF from the SD card the Reader has promptly went back to the main menu and delisted everything on the card. I guess I can also quickly check to see if it doesn't like that specific card or brand for whatever reason (I have a Viking 256 MB SD lying around as well, in addition to 128 MB & 512 MB Kingstons).

Random question as you mention using PPCs as well: Do you have other programs for PPCs or anything that the Reader doesn't support on the card? I actually just pulled my card out from my Axim as it has lots of PDFs (in addition to several programs).
Xtremegene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 05:04 PM   #9
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Tekchic, There is a difference between cards and the electronics that read them. I had a similar problem with an SD card in a camera. It worked for months & now no longer works in that camera but does work in another camera. Another SD card (different brand) works in the first camera. Go figure.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 05:46 PM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I agree on the cover -- makes me nervous to flip it open, looks like it could pop off easily.
I remarked on the slot cover in my original review, I felt like it seemed flimsy that day. It's one of the things I've been particular about taking another look at since I have one of my own. I probably ought to have remarked on it before now.

After playing with the Reader for some time now, I think I was just seeing it as flimsy in comparison to the solid feel of the rest of the Reader. The tether/hinge is very flexible, but after closer examination, it also seems to be pretty tough. It's not stretchy at all, and it seems to stand up to moderate tugging without so much as a flinch. I'm still not going to do a failure test on it.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:04 PM   #11
tekchic
Zealot

That's good to know on the slot cover! I'm generally pretty gentle with my electronics (aside from jamming wrong sized cards into the slot hahaha), so hopefully that won't be an issue.

What's funny is the 512mb card that's giving me issues is a clean formatted card. My 2gig mini-SD that works is the one i pulled right out of my MDA (running WinMobile 5), and it cataloged and worked fine! Maybe I'll just start loading up my 2gig and swapping between phone and reader
Old 10-10-2006, 11:19 PM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
I'm generally pretty gentle with my electronics (aside from jamming wrong sized cards into the slot hahaha)
Does it really qualify as "jamming" if the card in question is too small?
Old 10-12-2006, 10:21 AM   #13
sloc187
sloc187 began at the beginning.

SD Cards Don't Work

I have tried two SD cards in my Reader, and neither one of them work. One is a brand new Patriot 1 gig (bought specifically for the Reader - obviously now a waste of money) and the other an old 64 mb I used in a digital camera. Does anybody have any suggestions on what will definitely work???
sloc187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 11:27 AM   #14
Slava
Addict

Have you tried to format your SD cards on your computer as FAT/FAT16?
Old 10-12-2006, 02:43 PM   #15
sloc187
sloc187 began at the beginning.

No, I haven't. How would I do that?
sloc187 is offline   Reply With Quote