Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-09-2009, 09:19 AM   #1
mark2410
mark2410 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
any way to sync a prs-600 with more than one comp?

basically as per the subject, i cant seem to be able to make. the thing sync with more than one comp without deciding it has to make multiple copys of everything. i want 2 computers to sync to be able to sync with the device rather than just always being a comp to prs600 push of data.

its really peeing me off, sonys e library may be the worst piece of software ive ever used
mark2410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:27 AM   #2
terekkincaid
Connoisseur
terekkincaid doesn't litterterekkincaid doesn't litter

Device: nook
I use a Mac, and spend equal times on the Mac side as my Win 7 Boot camp side. I figured out this trick. Set up your initial collections/books on one computer and sync it. Now go to the second computer and make sure it is empty (no books or collections), then hook up your Reader. Drag collections from your Reader into the Library software (from the list/tree on the left hand side): you have imported your collections into the new computer. Now, go the the Sync item and pick the collections you want to sync (should work for the whole library as well). Viola! Now each computer will see the same collections and sync appropriately. It should work for the whole library as well, but I keep everything in collections to keep it tidy. If you add a new collection on one computer, you can just drag it to the new one before you sync up.

I hope this is clear enough: maybe I can make a small screencast if it's a bit confusing.
terekkincaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2009, 11:18 AM   #3
mark2410

ta for the suggestion but sice ive discovered that sonys elibrary cant be used with calibre without deciding it needs 2 copys of everything ive given up syncing period

im really astonished at just how god awful both pieces of software are
Old 11-09-2009, 11:31 AM   #4
sebastienbillard
Connoisseur
sebastienbillard is on a distinguished road

Device: none
I dont sync at all using this software : https://dev.mobileread.com/trac/sonyfmngr (it works for PRS 600 even if it is called "505").

(I don't even use it for transfer, but only for creating collections from the folders structure). I put all my books on the SD card, organized in directories.
sebastienbillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 01:16 PM   #5
terekkincaid
Connoisseur
terekkincaid doesn't litterterekkincaid doesn't litter

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2410 View Post
ta for the suggestion but sice ive discovered that sonys elibrary cant be used with calibre without deciding it needs 2 copys of everything ive given up syncing period

im really astonished at just how god awful both pieces of software are
Well, it's a lot to expect two different pieces of software to sync with each other. How is one supposed to know what the other already has synced? Calibre is multi-platform, so you can use that instead of the Sony software if you don't plan on buying books from the Sony store. If you are having duplicate issues just within Calibre, check out the Calibre boards here and ask for help.

And, be nice, Calibre is free, and the developer frequents these boards
terekkincaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2009, 01:28 PM   #6
mark2410

oh no after doing any thing with calibre it seems to knock out the file synced status so elibrary decides its going to give you another. calibre is awful but its free and offers some really nice functionality so i say kudos to the chap making it. however its really unpolished as of yet. the fact that its still vastly better than the god awful elibrary is mare of a statement about elibrary

ive given up with trying to sync anything

god i just cant believe people arent going nuts about how awful the software is, are all readers software so monumentally bad?
Old 11-13-2009, 05:08 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Auto-sync never really worked well. I tried it way back when I first got my 505 and ever since then, I've never used it. I prefer to manually add content. it just works better and I have more control.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:15 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2410 View Post
basically as per the subject, i cant seem to be able to make. the thing sync with more than one comp without deciding it has to make multiple copys of everything. i want 2 computers to sync to be able to sync with the device rather than just always being a comp to prs600 push of data.

its really peeing me off, sonys e library may be the worst piece of software ive ever used
I don't use this software but I do sync my ebook library and Calibre between 2 computers using dropbox. They allow you 2 gigs of space free of cost with the ability to obtain up to 5 gigs free. The only problem I have is I sometimes have to exit dropbox to install a program cleanly.

If you install the reader software into a sub folder within the dropbox you will essentially be running the exact same copy on both computers. When one computer is updated the other will be synced automatically. This should be a nice solution to your problem.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 11-13-2009 at 08:21 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote