Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-28-2009, 09:20 AM   #1
paqua
paqua began at the beginning.

Device: kindl2
Overseas newspaper/magazine subscription downloads

Next year I will be moving to Germany. I know the Kindle allows for newspaper and magazine subscriptions via whispernet. However, thats not available overseas. Is there a way to sync to amazon.com to get mag and newspaper subscriptions or am I hamstrung with this feature? I know I can download kindle versions of books to my comp and then up them to my PC. Just wondering about the other stuff

thanks in advance
paqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:03 AM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Your subscriptions will have to be downloaded to your computer and transferred to your Kindle 2 just like your books. Just be aware that Amazon will only hold 7 days of newspapers in your Media Library. If you think you want to save them for longer (for archival purposes), be sure to keep copies on your computer.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2009, 04:28 AM   #3
Hwarang
Hwarang began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500 / Kindle 2
As an overseas Kindle 2 owner, I can confirm Daffy's comments: magazine and blog subscriptions can just be downloaded and dropped via USB to the Kindle in lieu of Whispernet delivery. That said, actually subscribing to magazines or blogs (and presumably newspapers) does not seem to make them available for download... it's almost as if the first issue has to be pushed via Whispernet to get the subscription to activate.

Approximately 2.5 weeks ago, I subscribed to Newsweek and the Amazon Daily. The subscriptions both showed in the "Manage My Kindle" page at Amazon. Unfortunately, for nearly 2 weeks both subscriptions showed as "pending", and the pulldown menu for downloads stayed blank. Selecting the download button generated an error from Amazon (because I wasn't actually selecting an issue to download).

When I went back to the States on a short trip last week, I turned the Kindle's wireless on, curious to see what would happen. Both subscriptions immediately showed on the Kindle. The "Manage My Kindle" page also now shows both subscriptions as active, with several issues downloadable.

My Kindle2 was pre-registered with Amazon at purchase. The download problem was an issue of the Amazon site itself, just a quirk of Amazon's process. Everything seems to be fine now that I'm back overseas, but I'm curious if I'll run into the same problem when I try to subscribe to another periodical. Has anyone had similar experiences?
Hwarang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:18 AM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
That shouldn't have happened (though it obviously did happen to you). There are many people in the U.S. who are outside of Whispernet range who can only use the download option. I don't have an answer, so I too, am curious to see if anyone else has had this problem.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote