Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 02-16-2009, 09:46 AM   #1
andavane
Zealot
andavane began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, + Wifi, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini, Sony PRS-T2
Is a Screen Protector for Bookeen the Horn of the Hare?

Hi

I have spent many hours looking for a film screen protector for the Cybook Gen 3, and I begin to think that such a beast does not exist. I've even written twice to a U,zk company called anyscreenprotector.com who have not deigned even to send anything other than an automated response.

Does anyone have a screen protector, or perhaps there's a simple way to keep the Bookeen's screen free of splashes etc.

Am currently using the temporary one which came with it and of course it's very reflective.

Regards

John
andavane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:27 AM   #2
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I haven't tried to get one, but you might want to search for the screen dimensions instead of specifying the model of the device.
They are not very well known.
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2009, 12:21 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Do you really need a screen protector? The screen is pretty tough, unlike the touch-sensitive screen of a PDA, and is very easily kept clean with a "microfibre" cleaning cloth.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:07 PM   #4
magiske
magiske began at the beginning.

Device: CyBook Gen 3
I got it from zagg.com. Some of the best, if you ask me.
Figured since the Sony505 used the same e-Ink screen it would fit.
And it did, perfectly. But compare to the "dull/non reflective" surface on the screen, the protector did add some annoying glare to the screen.
So after 1 month I removed it.. But still way better then the on included. So if you are not reading in direct sunlight..

Here you go..

http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/...ns-shields.php

/Mads
P.s Love the Zagg screen for my Ipods/Iphone..
magiske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:24 PM   #5
Pulp
Palm Addict
Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3 [512mb, FW: 1.5]
There is really no need for a screenprotector - for the reason that it can't protect the screen.

The endangered part of the Cybook is the glass below the screen, and you won't find a foil to protect it from a force strong enough to break the glass.

Everything else, like fingerprints, can be cleaned easily with a soft cloth.
Pulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2009, 11:58 AM   #6
andavane
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Do you really need a screen protector? The screen is pretty tough, unlike the touch-sensitive screen of a PDA, and is very easily kept clean with a "microfibre" cleaning cloth.
A good point, and could save some cash!
The concern is with not just fingerprints, but small scratches as well.

I wonder if one could use a drop of spectacle-lens spray on the cloth?

I heard that the non-reflective look of the screen itself is the best, but so far have only viewed it through the plastic cover which came wit the machine.

Regards

John
Old 02-21-2009, 03:56 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
As long as you keep the cover closed when you're not reading, scratches are unlikely. My current CyBook's screen is "pristine" after 10 months of use, and I certainly don't treat it with "kid gloves" . The screen is pretty tough.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:47 PM   #8
andavane
Zealot

Ah, a fellow-cybooker
Well that's good to know.
Haven't the removed the very shiny that came with it yet, but think I'll do so soon.
Not sure I want to fork out fifteen quid on a screen cover at the moment.
...and I see that magiske removed his cover after a month,
Regards
John
Old 02-21-2009, 12:59 PM   #9
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by andavane View Post
Ah, a fellow-cybooker
Well that's good to know.
Haven't the removed the very shiny that came with it yet, but think I'll do so soon.
This plastic protection is not intended for use. It will just make it harder to read.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 03:36 PM   #10
andavane
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
This plastic protection is not intended for use. It will just make it harder to read.
...so I should get a pleasant surprise when I remove it then...
500 pages of Bleak House certainly can tire the eyes a bit.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:32 PM   #11
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
I managed to scratch my screen (jury is still out on it being a crack, I'm leaning on the scratch side of things) but it doesn't impact reading. The reason why mine got scratched is because I attach a light to the top of the case, which holds the case shut. When I run out of petrol and drift off to sleep I just about manage to turn the light off. Turning the light off, unattaching the light from the cover, closing the cover over and reattaching the light seems to be too much :P

I don't like the idea of reflection because I already have to angle the lights carefully so that I don't see them and they don't reflect.
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote