Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-05-2014, 10:34 AM   #1
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
Fantasy recommendations

Please could someone recommend me some good military type fantasy? I didn't get on with Paksenarrion, giving up about 100 pages in. I also can't get on with Steven Erikson or George R.R. Martin. Yes, I know this is practically heresy, but Erikson's plots are too convoluted and Martin's works are too violent for no particular reason. I do like authors like David Gemmell, just to start things off.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:40 AM   #2
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
The Black Company is the canonical exemplar.

Jack Vance's Lyonesse Trilogy does have some military (feudal) elements, including some sieges. A bit of violence, but mostly off-camera.

Usually Michael Moorcock's Eternal Champions get involved in military endeavors on one side or other (but they can be fairly violent, though there's usually a reason).
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2014, 10:50 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Must it be fantasy, rather than SF? The "General" series by S.M. Stirling and David Drake, published by Baen, is an excellent military SF series.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:22 AM   #4
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
I would also recommend the

Empire of Man series by David Weber and John Ringo

Military Scifi i would definitely recommend David Weber's Honor Harrington series...you can get the first book "On Basilisk Station" for free from Baen or Amazon and give it a shot.

I wouldn't have considered Martin's work military fantasy...more like epic fantasy that happens to have some military in it. If that is more what you seek, I would recommend the Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb which starts with "Assassin's Apprentice".
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:52 AM   #5
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Have you read Lawrence Watt-Evans "The Misenchanted Sword"?
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2014, 12:34 PM   #6
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the replies. I tried Weber's Harrington series and thought it dull, but lots of other people seem to love it. I have all the "General" series by Stirling and Weber, as it looks really good. I didn't like the Empire of Man series, or Assassin's Apprentice. I'll have a look at The Misenchanted Sword though, thanks for the suggestion.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:04 PM   #7
ametzler
Zealot
ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
Please could someone recommend me some good military type fantasy? I didn't get on with Paksenarrion, giving up about 100 pages in. I also can't get on with Steven Erikson or George R.R. Martin. Yes, I know this is practically heresy, but Erikson's plots are too convoluted and Martin's works are too violent for no particular reason. I do like authors like David Gemmell, just to start things off.
Paul Kearney's "The Ten Thousand."
ametzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:31 PM   #8
Waylander
Fanatic

Thanks for the replies. I have read the Macht trilogy, which counted as three of my best books of 2013.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:34 PM   #9
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Hrm... you didn't like Paksenarrion?

Have you tried Tolkein? How does that sit with you? If you like the LOTR series, then you might try the Shannarra books by Terry Brooks. He also has a more lighthearted fare in the Landover series.

If you don't mind/actually like puns, then Piers Anthony's Xanth series will entertain, and Robert Asprin has a similar type of comedy in his Myth series.

Peter S. Beagle did a pretty good job satirizing the Fantasy Genre in his one-shot book The Last Unicorn, which was a pretty good read for me.

I also enjoyed the Prydain series by Lloyd Alexander.

If you can narrow down your preferences, I may be able to give you more titles...
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:34 PM   #10
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I enjoyed reading these last year, although it might be a bit of a push to class them as military fantasy:

Guy Gavriel Kay, Under Heaven. (I haven't read the sequel River of Stars yet.)
Gene Wolfe, Soldier of the Mist, Soldier of Arete. (The third in the series, Soldier of Sidon, I didn't enjoy so much.)
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:40 PM   #11
mikemc2
Zealot
mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS-505,Kindle 3,Nook HD+,iPod Touch,Kindle PW2
Try the "Dread Empire's Fall" trilogy by Walter Jon Williams. More "realistic" space warfare than the Honor Harrington series (which is basically Napoleonic naval warfare in space).
mikemc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:02 PM   #12
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
You might look at Cameron Miles "The Red Knight" (The Traitor Son Cycle), a combination of medieval warfare and magic.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:18 AM   #13
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
Thanks for the replies. I tried Weber's Harrington series and thought it dull, but lots of other people seem to love it. I have all the "General" series by Stirling and Weber, as it looks really good. I didn't like the Empire of Man series, or Assassin's Apprentice. I'll have a look at The Misenchanted Sword though, thanks for the suggestion.
haha, i'm batting 1000!
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:21 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
haha, i'm batting 1000!
Could you translate that into English?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:30 AM   #15
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Could you translate that into English?
It means that all his recommendations were shot down. It is a baseball reference.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote