Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-20-2014, 12:22 PM   #1
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
Baen Authors

Simple really, which Baen authors are worth reading and which aren't? I've already tried David Weber's Honor Harrington series and could not get into it. What of the other authors? Are they worth a look and please give some titles to help me along. Many thanks.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:51 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
They're all worth reading to someone. Hard to say without knowing more about what a person likes/dislikes.

Some of my favorites are..
Sharon Lee & Steve Miller (Liaden)
Elizabeth Moon (Serano/Suiza, Paksenarrion)
Wen Spencer (Tinker series)
Lois McMaster Bujold (Vorkosigan)
David Drake (Leary)
Eric Flint (Ring of Fire)
David Weber & John Ringo (Empire of Man)
etc., etc.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2014, 02:37 PM   #3
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
I like the James Schmitz re-issues a lot. The Telzey of Amberdon books are juveniles about a young woman with psi powers. I get close to as much pleasure out of them as I do Heinlein's juvies (high praise from me).

I personally think Eric Flint is a much stronger editor than he is an authour, and I would skip anything by John Ringo.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:43 PM   #4
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
S.M.Stirling - The General series
Poul Anderson
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:17 PM   #5
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
They're all worth reading to someone. Hard to say without knowing more about what a person likes/dislikes.

Some of my favorites are..
Sharon Lee & Steve Miller (Liaden)
Elizabeth Moon (Serano/Suiza, Paksenarrion)
Wen Spencer (Tinker series)
Lois McMaster Bujold (Vorkosigan)
David Drake (Leary)
Eric Flint (Ring of Fire)
David Weber & John Ringo (Empire of Man)
etc., etc.
Hmmm. Just about every one of those, though I did get bored with Leary fairly quickly. But add in, please, Frank Chadwick, whose How Dark the World Becomes completely surprised me in a very good way.

Also, I'd say Wen Spencer's other series are equally as good, and I am rather enjoying Sharon Lee's Carousel series too. But really, the OP needs to give us an idea of what she or he likes of other authors and I'm sure we can recommend.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2014, 06:26 PM   #6
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Just go to the Baen Free Library and pick your poison.

bernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
Simple really, which Baen authors are worth reading and which aren't? I've already tried David Weber's Honor Harrington series and could not get into it. What of the other authors? Are they worth a look and please give some titles to help me along. Many thanks.
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:10 PM   #7
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Some that haven't been mentioned yet:

Leigh Brackett
A. Bertram Chandler
Larry Correia
David Drake (previously mentioned for the Leary Series, but if you're into Military SF, add the Hammer's Slammers series)
Edmond Hamilton
Sarah A Hoyt
Keith Laumer
Frederik Pohl
Timothy Zahn
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:33 PM   #8
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by radius View Post
I would skip anything by John Ringo.
If you do not read The Empire of Man by John Ringo and David Weber you are missing a great series.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:43 PM   #9
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by radius View Post
I would skip anything by John Ringo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
If you do not read The Empire of Man by John Ringo and David Weber you are missing a great series.
Apache
Also the Council Wars by John Ringo the first two ebooks in the series are in the free library.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:11 PM   #10
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
I enjoy:

David Weber
Michael Z Williamson
Larry Correia
Eric Flint
Robert Conroy (alternate history)
Ryk E Spoor (Grand Central Arena is fun Babylon 5-style space opera)

Last edited by xg4bx; 01-20-2014 at 08:14 PM.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:10 PM   #11
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
Thanks for your help guys. It has given me lots of ideas.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:07 AM   #12
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I like: Charles Sheffield, Poul Anderson, Larry Niven, Jerry Pournelle, Elizabeth Moon. I'll probably like others too once I get around to reading them!

Edit: My only disappointment so far was Travis S. Taylor's One Day on Mars.

Last edited by GeoffR; 01-21-2014 at 04:08 AM.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:25 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Apache
Ringo's collaborations (especially the "Empire of Man" series) are good, but his standalone books are simply dreadful, IMHO. Unpleasant xenophobic ultra right-wing political propaganda.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:43 AM   #14
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Ringo's collaborations (especially the "Empire of Man" series) are good, but his standalone books are simply dreadful, IMHO. Unpleasant xenophobic ultra right-wing political propaganda.
That is why I listed The Empire of Man.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:25 AM   #15
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
The only John Ringo books that have truly bothered me are the ''Ghost'' series of novels which market themselves as some type of Splinter Cell/Tom Clancy style action but are in reality very bizarre BDSM and rape fantasy stories. I think that's the first time I've ever been tempted to throw a book in the trash, moreso at the heinous bait&switch than anything.

See for more details: http://hradzka.livejournal.com/194753.html

Overall I think he has some decent ideas but I don't think he's a very good writer at all on his own.

Last edited by xg4bx; 01-21-2014 at 09:27 AM.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote