Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 04-16-2008, 02:52 AM   #1
mota
mota began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen 3 - died, Sony PRS500, Kindle 3
Cant read books from fictionwise

Hi,

I bought couple of books from fictionwise yesterday and I cant read them on my cybook. I filled PID on website and downloaded them. When I try to open them on cybook it freezes and must be restarted. I get same result when I copy them using mobipocket reader.

Dictionary bought from mobipocket is working correctly.

I have older firmware in cybook not 538. Have anyone any suggestions other that to wait for new firmware and hope that this will be fixed in it?

Thanks in advance

Mota
mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 04:36 AM   #2
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Ask for new firmware or try to run "mobi2mobi --gen3imagefix --outfile new.mobi notworkingfile.mobi" on the files that are not working. The books probably have large images and you probably have triggered the bug related to this.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2008, 06:47 AM   #3
mota
mota began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen 3 - died, Sony PRS500, Kindle 3
Thanks. mobi2mobi helped.
mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:16 AM   #4
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3, JetBook Lite
You can get build 538 by writing to bookeen and asking for it.
cmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:23 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Ask for new firmware or try to run "mobi2mobi --gen3imagefix --outfile new.mobi notworkingfile.mobi" on the files that are not working. The books probably have large images and you probably have triggered the bug related to this.
When is mobi2mobi going to have a switch to not resize images since it seems that firmware 538 fixes the image size bug?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2008, 08:39 AM   #6
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
When is mobi2mobi going to have a switch to not resize images since it seems that firmware 538 fixes the image size bug?
I started using a modified 'html2mobi.exe' in PDFRead 1.8.2 that does not limit image sizes within the .prc. I caution Cybook Gen 3 users that images larger than 480x640 may crash their ereader. It seems that I should also tell them to get 'mobi2mobi' and apply the '--gen3imagefix' if that is the case until the firmware fix is applied by all.

By the way, do any Cybook Gen 3 users have issue with any of the HarryT Jane Austen Classics in .prc format? Those use large images!

Last edited by nrapallo; 04-17-2008 at 08:54 AM.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:53 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Make that Gen3 users with firmware 538. We know the original 1.0 firware has the image size bug for sure.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:10 AM   #8
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
I
By the way, do any Cybook Gen 3 users have issue with any of the HarryT Jane Austen Classics in .prc format? Those use large images!
The bug is not so simple that all large images are a problem.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:11 AM   #9
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I have told you before. When there is an official fix from Bookeen.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:30 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

But, nobody with 538 has said that large images are an issue and if they are, then they can always run mobi2mobi with it resizing to fix it.

But what I want is to be able to use mobi2mobi to fix the metadata where needed and if there are images, I don't want them possibly reduced in size. I don't want to have to check every mobi format eBook for possible images that might be resized.

What is the problem with putting in a switch to prevent image resizing? The default would be to resize and if anyone wants them not resized then that's ok too. The Gen3 is not the only implementation of a mobipocket reader. So please don't go by the bugs it has only. Give people the choice how they want things where possible.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:32 AM   #11
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
But, nobody with 538 has said that large images are an issue and if they are, then they can always run mobi2mobi with it resizing to fix it.

But what I want is to be able to use mobi2mobi to fix the metadata where needed and if there are images, I don't want them possibly reduced in size. I don't want to have to check every mobi format eBook for possible images that might be resized.

What is the problem with putting in a switch to prevent image resizing? The default would be to resize and if anyone wants them not resized then that's ok too. The Gen3 is not the only implementation of a mobipocket reader. So please don't go by the bugs it has only. Give people the choice how they want things where possible.
I have explained my position before. MobiPerl is distributed as perl code so it is trivial to change if you need it. This is something I do in my spare time and the primary goal is to minimize support questions.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:05 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Trivial if you know pearl or have the time to learn what's needed to modify the code. I don't know pearl nor do I have the time to learn to modify it.

But I don't see what's the problem with my suggestion of a switch to not resize images and making the resizing the default. That would not impede anyones usage or any other programs that rely on it.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:07 AM   #13
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
I started using a modified 'html2mobi.exe' in PDFRead 1.8.2 that does not limit image sizes within the .prc.
By the way, in line with tompe's previous request, my modified 'html2mobi.exe' is called and distributed as 'NRhtml2mobi.exe' until an offical fix is available.

However, I have not added a switch for the '--gen3imagefix' so Cybook Gen 3 users will have to use 'mobi2mobi.exe' if the image crashing issue is present. This is my preferred solution.

Last edited by nrapallo; 04-17-2008 at 10:09 AM.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:11 AM   #14
nrapallo

Quote:
Trivial if you know pearl or have the time to learn what's needed to modify the code. I don't know pearl nor do I have the time to learn to modify it.

But I don't see what's the problem with my suggestion of a switch to not resize images and making the resizing the default. That would not impede anyones usage or any other programs that rely on it.
Hey, Jon, did you create a new ticket for this on the Mobiperl Dev Hub?
Old 04-17-2008, 10:11 AM   #15
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

What is pearl? I have exactly specified what you need to change in another place. If you do not want to modify it for you local need then do not modify it. But we have discused this before so why bring it up again.

I do not want people to put MobiPocket files with this problem on this site for example. The thing is that nearly all files with large images generated by MobiPerl has these problems but files generated with MobiPocket Creator with the same images generally do not have the problem.