Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-20-2013, 09:21 PM   #1
KingSausage
KingSausage began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Angry Kindle Fire HDX Screen Defect?

There have been a number of complaints about a strange blue or purple line or haze on the side of the screen on the new Kindle Fire HDX. Read the reviews on Amazon, or check out this discussion for examples: http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle?_...x2K3RHQ2GI4XEM

The demo unit I saw at Best Buy had this problem as well.

Does your HDX have this issue? Is it distracting?

It's odd that Amazon is replacing some units but not others, and claiming that this blue haze was intentional.
KingSausage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:47 PM   #2
FanciFreez
Banned
FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, KPW2, Nexus 7.2, iPad 4, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSausage View Post
There have been a number of complaints about a strange blue or purple line or haze on the side of the screen on the new Kindle Fire HDX. Read the reviews on Amazon, or check out this discussion for examples: http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle?_...x2K3RHQ2GI4XEM

It's odd that Amazon is replacing some units but not others, and claiming that this blue haze was intentional.
That is not a defect or problem, it's a buffer and a intentional design for reading.. I posted this earlier.. I have friend at AMZ and he said it is a buffer, reflector for easier on the eyes and designed for more of a comfortable reading experience on the reading screen.. it's not going away.. it will be on the 8.9 as well.. I saw it as weil at Best Buy and immediately called my friend at AMZ to get his Professional and in house explanation.. I like it.. It's for softening the bright white coming out of the boarders.. I am also surprised why people have not figured that out on their own.. It works..

Last edited by FanciFreez; 10-20-2013 at 09:52 PM.
FanciFreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2013, 10:05 PM   #3
KingSausage

But there are people reporting that their units -- in some cases, replacement units -- do not have this blue coloration on the sides. If this was intentional that wouldn't make sense.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:47 PM   #4
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
I didn't notice that on mine.

Quote:

I didn't notice that on my unit.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:13 PM   #5
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I have it on mine! Check out my thread for pics. Those who say they don't have it probably have the brightness way up it's more noticeable when the brightness is turned down. I didn't even see any till I adjusted the brightness farther down to read on. It's more noticeable on a white or sepia background.

I am sure it varies though on how much bleed happens with the blue haze on each unit.

Last edited by Blossom; 10-20-2013 at 11:16 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2013, 09:25 AM   #6
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Turned down to zero and did not see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I have it on mine! Check out my thread for pics. Those who say they don't have it probably have the brightness way up it's more noticeable when the brightness is turned down. I didn't even see any till I adjusted the brightness farther down to read on. It's more noticeable on a white or sepia background.

I am sure it varies though on how much bleed happens with the blue haze on each unit.
I turned my brightness down to zero and did not see it. I usually heave my HDX brightness at 50% and still did not see it.

I'd say you should return your unit for a new one. Defects at the beginning could only get worse as time goes on.

Its possible that this is like the pin holes where those with good glasses can easily see them but those without glasses cannot see them. I have never worn glasses and pass my eye tests with 20/20 in both eyes but cannot see smaller things like those with 5/5 (only possible with well fitted glasses) can see. I do have a large cataract which I see through (some folks have vision blocked by cataracts) and also have age appropriate macular degeneration which has not yet altered my 20/20 vision but could prevent me from ever seeing at 5/5 vision.

I can read down to 6 point type sizes but still prefer 12 point sizes for comfort. Some folks with good fitting glasses prefer to read at 4 point sizes which would cause difficulty for me.

In any event everyone should get a unit most comfortable for themselves. You should definitely exchange your unit.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-21-2013 at 09:32 AM.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:30 PM   #7
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Just got my new HDX and I definitely have the purple border. It does look intentional whether that is a good thing or not. I don't really mind it.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:34 PM   #8
fearindex
Addict
fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Its possible that this is like the pin holes where those with good glasses can easily see them but those without glasses cannot see them.
You keep repeating that even though many people without glasses have already said they easily see pinholes on the PWs. I don't see what the glasses angle has to do with pinholes at all.

My eyesight isn't great, but I don't wear glasses and I can easily see pinholes in both the photos and on my PW2. It took me 2 seconds to spot the specks on mine when I unwrapped it.
fearindex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:42 PM   #9
sirmaru
Wizard

Did you return it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearindex View Post
You keep repeating that even though many people without glasses have already said they easily see pinholes on the PWs. I don't see what the glasses angle has to do with pinholes at all.

My eyesight isn't great, but I don't wear glasses and I can easily see pinholes in both the photos and on my PW2. It took me 2 seconds to spot the specks on mine when I unwrapped it.
Did you return your PW 2013? You should since early defects usually get worse over time.

I've never seen color blotches on my PW 2012, never saw the purple border on my HDX 2013 and never saw pin holes on my PW 2013. Either I'm lucky, or my brain shuts out problems or I simply can NOT see them. Either way, I believe I am fortunate also to be living without any prescription drugs and never had surgery since I probably just shut out the normal pain and discomfort for almost a CENTURY.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-21-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:03 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
Just got my new HDX and I definitely have the purple border. It does look intentional whether that is a good thing or not. I don't really mind it.
It mostly annoying when reading in the dark otherwise you don't really notice it too much.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:13 AM   #11
KingSausage

Amazon had now added language to the product description to justify the blue haze. If this is intentional why of some units have no blue tinge?

"We want you to know...

The
Kindle Fire HDX 7" has perfect color accuracy (100% sRGB), and we
wanted to share more details around our display design decisions that
helped us achieve this.

You may notice a very narrow, faint blue
tint around the edge of the device when looking at items with a white
background, such as books or web pages. All displays have some level of
light emission around the edges, and the light on the Kindle Fire HDX 7"
is blue due to the technology used to render perfect color accuracy.
Most LCD displays use white LEDs, and then apply filters to extract the
desired color. The result is oftentimes a compromise to tone and color
accuracy, or—if attempting to address these compromises—an increase in
battery consumption and, thus, device weight.

We've taken a
different approach. To achieve the perfect color accuracy on Kindle Fire
HDX 7" at the lowest possible battery consumption and device weight, we
used blue, not white, LEDs. Blue LEDs allow for a much more accurate
and rich representation of color and result in an up to 20% improvement
in power efficiency."
Old 10-22-2013, 08:49 AM   #12
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Well I guess we need a picture of one that doesn't have the blue haze on a white background and low brightness.

It's pretty pronounced and like I said before, it does look intentional (i.e. not a defect).
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:41 AM   #13
fearindex
Addict
fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Did you return your PW 2013? You should since early defects usually get worse over time.

I've never seen color blotches on my PW 2012, never saw the purple border on my HDX 2013 and never saw pin holes on my PW 2013. Either I'm lucky, or my brain shuts out problems or I simply can NOT see them. Either way, I believe I am fortunate also to be living without any prescription drugs and never had surgery since I probably just shut out the normal pain and discomfort for almost a CENTURY.
I probably will return the PW, not yet.

I doubt these particular kinds of issues in screens will get worse over time. They are often alignment and component allowances issues or small imperfections that likely remain the same over time.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:46 AM   #14
fearindex
Addict

Quote:
Amazon had now added language to the product description to justify the blue haze. If this is intentional why of some units have no blue tinge?

Amazon had a similar article on PW last year - and we know PW1 screens varied wildly in quality due to layer alignment, LED allowances and whatnot. Probably similar unit to unit differences in LED warmth can exist in the HDX even though it doesn't have front light guides.

Also, goes to show how damn demanding book reading is for screens! That white page with black text can show many anomalies that looking at a video or even websites would not so easily show. But when you read a plain old text book, any such things will jump out easier.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:14 AM   #15
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:

"We want you to know...

The
Kindle Fire HDX 7" has perfect color accuracy (100% sRGB), and we
wanted to share more details around our display design decisions that
helped us achieve this.

You may notice a very narrow, faint blue
tint around the edge of the device when looking at items with a white
background, such as books or web pages. All displays have some level of
light emission around the edges, and the light on the Kindle Fire HDX 7"
is blue due to the technology used to render perfect color accuracy.
Most LCD displays use white LEDs, and then apply filters to extract the
desired color. The result is oftentimes a compromise to tone and color
accuracy, or—if attempting to address these compromises—an increase in
battery consumption and, thus, device weight.

We've taken a
different approach. To achieve the perfect color accuracy on Kindle Fire
HDX 7" at the lowest possible battery consumption and device weight, we
used blue, not white, LEDs. Blue LEDs allow for a much more accurate
and rich representation of color and result in an up to 20% improvement
in power efficiency."
Last year Amazon had to add a statement to the page for their Paperwhite 2012 (PW1) trying to explain away the color and shadow blotches.

Maybe they are pulling an Apple here: The iPhone 4S antenna is great, you are just holding it wrong. Here, buy this $30 rubber-band and your antenna woes will go away!