Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-23-2007, 12:29 PM   #1
rquesty
rquesty began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
Removing Books - a newbie asks

I have just started with my PRS-505. I love it. BUT is it possible to delete books from the reader and still keep them in the library on my main computer ? After all, that is what a library is ! I just don't want the Reader screens cluttered up wtih books that I have read but still want to, maybe go back and re=read something.

Sorry if this is really basic to "those in the know" but I am new to this.

thanks

Richard
rquesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 12:36 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
You can't delete ebooks from a menu on the Reader. But you can use the library software to delete the ebook from the 505 without removing it from the PC.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2007, 01:36 PM   #3
rquesty
rquesty began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
That's exactly what I am tryintg to do - delete from the 505 but not from the PC - and sorry to be a pain - but how ? I can't find the anything on the library software that allows me to do that..... I have just had another go at it and when I attempt to delete from the reader is tells me because it has been synched it cannot be deleted unless its deleted from the library.

Again, sorry for being dense.

Richard

Last edited by rquesty; 12-23-2007 at 01:44 PM.
rquesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 02:04 PM   #4
tdanzie
Connoisseur
tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo H2O, Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura One
Welcome.

While you are in ebook library with the reader connect to the computer via USB. Click on the reader on the left side of the library, highlight the book(s) you want to delete from the list, click on edit on the top or right click your mouse and select delete. The book is then deleted. The deleted book(s) will still be in the library, but not on the reader.
tdanzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 06:03 PM   #5
Starfish
Connoisseur
Starfish doesn't litterStarfish doesn't litterStarfish doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
How do you delete Categories from the Reader? I know it's supposed to be possible, but I haven't been able to make it work.

Thanks.

Starfish
Starfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2007, 06:20 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish View Post
How do you delete Categories from the Reader? I know it's supposed to be possible, but I haven't been able to make it work.

Thanks.

Starfish
By category do you mean collection? For collections just right click & select delete. If by category you mean books, audio or pictures AFAIK they can't be removed.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 09:22 PM   #7
coopervanning
coopervanning began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rquesty View Post
I have just started with my PRS-505. I love it. BUT is it possible to delete books from the reader and still keep them in the library on my main computer ? After all, that is what a library is ! I just don't want the Reader screens cluttered up wtih books that I have read but still want to, maybe go back and re=read something.

Sorry if this is really basic to "those in the know" but I am new to this.

thanks

Richard

Don't feel bad. I bought my PRS-500 in Aug and last week finally figured out how to do it myself.
coopervanning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 12:13 AM   #8
Starfish
Connoisseur
Starfish doesn't litterStarfish doesn't litterStarfish doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Brian,

Yes, I meant collections. I'm talking about deleting a collection from the reader itself? How can I "right click?" Were you talking about the reader software? If it makes any difference, my PRS505's internal memory is formatted and all my books are on a memory card.

Starfish
Starfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 12:28 AM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I haven't done anything with a card, but it should be the same as with the internal memory. In the library software, with the Reader connected to the computer, you should get a list of your collections on the left side of the screen. You can right click on the collection name & select delete. That will remove the collection (it may leave the books in the main books listing though, they may need to be removed separately).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 05:12 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem you are having is that because you've synced a collection or your library, the software would just put the content back on the reader, What you need to do to remove content is to turn of syncing and then the content on the reader that was previously synced can be removed would it being copied back on. So as long as content is set to be synced and is in the library, it would be silly to delete it from the 505.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote