Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-11-2012, 03:33 AM   #1
konr
konr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Smile A larger Kindle Touch?

Hi!

I LOVE my kindle, it changed my life, but it's kinda small to read PDFs comfortably, for example.

1. Do you know of any rumours of Amazon producing a larger version of Kindle sometime soon?
2. Is the Kindle DX a good buy or it's outdated or the UI is poor or something?
3. Is it comfortable to read books in larger tablets, such as Xoom? How about the battery life, is it reasonable?

Thanks!
konr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:35 PM   #2
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
9" E-ink touch reader by Asus: http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Reader/Eee_Reader_DR900/
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2012, 07:59 PM   #3
mikeschr
Connoisseur
mikeschr is on a distinguished road

Device: Scribe, Oasis, Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by konr View Post
Hi!

I LOVE my kindle, it changed my life, but it's kinda small to read PDFs comfortably, for example.

1. Do you know of any rumours of Amazon producing a larger version of Kindle sometime soon?
3. Is it comfortable to read books in larger tablets, such as Xoom? How about the battery life, is it reasonable?

Thanks!
The DX has version 2 firmware on it, which is now a couple of years old. It's also more sluggish than the newer models. The UI is roughly the same as the Kindle 3, with slower response times and an older web browser.
It's great for reading, but a less than great choice for anything else, including PDFs, IMO. Especially for the $379 price.

A larger Touch would be fantastic. We can hope.
mikeschr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:54 PM   #4
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
I do prefer my Kindle for reading books, so I'm not an Apple bigot, but for that price I would buy the reduced in price Apple iPad II and get iAnnotate. Or wait until something else comes out. The DX has just been out too long without an update. It has to be near end-of-life.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:34 AM   #5
konr
konr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
How does it compare with Android devices (I'm thinking of Xoom 2) in terms of book reading?

Also, are the larger generic ebook readers (Onyx Boox et al) inferior somehow to kindle?

Thanks!
konr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2012, 03:01 PM   #6
mikeschr
Connoisseur
mikeschr is on a distinguished road

Device: Scribe, Oasis, Clara
Kindle for Android doesn't have access to personal documents (yet), and you can't use the Kindle Lending Library.
Reading on an Android tablet is just fine, as long as you don't mind having a backlight. Some people find the 9:16 aspect ratio (if you're holding it in portrait mode) narrower than they like.
mikeschr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:30 PM   #7
stanleystarrh
Banned
stanleystarrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanleystarrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanleystarrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanleystarrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanleystarrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanleystarrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanleystarrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanleystarrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanleystarrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanleystarrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanleystarrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@any news if they are making a larger kindle touch? i think that'd be amazing for reading
stanleystarrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:43 PM   #8
NightGoat
Connoisseur
NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle Oasis, DXG, and Kobo Aura One
Kindle DXtra

I coined it.
NightGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:34 AM   #9
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleystarrh View Post
@any news if they are making a larger kindle touch? i think that'd be amazing for reading
Yeah, it would. I don't think it'll happen, though

Much as I love my DXG, it seems to be a dead-end product. If it ever breaks, I'll be looking at another 9.7" Pearl-based reader (right now, that would probably mean an Onyx Boox M92).
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:53 AM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I want a smaller Touch. Something around 5" would be great for portability and would pair up nicely with my 5" tablet (Galaxy Player 5).
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:41 AM   #11
cocobear
cocobear began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by konr View Post
Hi!

Thanks!
I also hope there will be a bigger Kindle Touch or a newer Kindle DX
cocobear is offline   Reply With Quote