Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-02-2011, 09:31 AM   #1
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Paragraph Splitting and Whitespace

So, is anyone else annoyed at how the Kobo (the Touch, anyways; dunno about the others) refuses to split smaller paragraphs across pages in Kobo epubs. All that extra whitespace caused by it starting a new page rather than splitting is really starting to bug me. :/

(obviously this doesn't happen with sideloaded books, thankfully, and means I'll be going with books directly from Project Gutenberg rather than their Kobo store versions)
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:33 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
So, is anyone else annoyed at how the Kobo (the Touch, anyways; dunno about the others) refuses to split smaller paragraphs across pages in Kobo epubs. All that extra whitespace caused by it starting a new page rather than splitting is really starting to bug me. :/
This is the widow/ophan control feature of the Adobe firmware which the Kobo uses. All devices which use Adobe's firmware (ie pretty much every reader except the Kindle) does the same thing. You're right - it can be irritating on occasions.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2011, 09:55 AM   #3
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It *only* does this with books directly from Kobo, however, which is weird. :/

(just tested with Terry Brooks' "Bearers of the Black Staff", downloaded from a library and sideloaded via ADE)
Old 08-02-2011, 10:37 AM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
It *only* does this with books directly from Kobo, however, which is weird. :/

(just tested with Terry Brooks' "Bearers of the Black Staff", downloaded from a library and sideloaded via ADE)
The KT uses two seperate rendering engines: one for kePubs (Kobo store ePubs just for the KT) and ePubs (sideloaded ePubs). That is why more options and features are available for kePubs. For example, you can highlight text in a kePub but not in a sideloaded ePub.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:29 AM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Did you try turning off Kobo styles? I don't see this behaviour (or if I do, not often enough for it to be noticeable to me) and I have the syling turned off by default.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2011, 12:18 PM   #6
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon

Styling is greyed out on the Touch (and didn't actually do anything, anyways )
Old 08-02-2011, 12:54 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

Are you using a sideloaded font? As I recall there were a couple of sideloaded fonts that caused huge amounts of whitespace--as in a half of a page in some cases. You wouldn't think it would be a font issue, but that is what the Kobo devs told me it was. Even with system fonts I occasionally saw page breaks that resulted in several line heights of white space. But that was back in 1.9.6.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:16 PM   #8
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Well, with kepub books on my Touch, it isn't greyed out. Odd. Turning it off does some things that can be hard to "catch", like changing paragraph indentations and making it easier to notice hyperlinks.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:27 PM   #9
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Quote:
Styling is greyed out on the Touch (and didn't actually do anything, anyways )
Styling is greyed-out only for non-Kobo EPUBS. For Kobo EPUBS the only difference I have noticed is with hyperlinks. With Kobo Styling off they are shown in a light grey font whereas with Kobo Styling on they are shown with the regular font.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:16 PM   #10
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon

Ah, you're right about the styling. Silly me. Doesn't help, though, with the widow/orphan issue, which is annoying.

jswinden - Nah, using the built-in Rockwell for my font.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:24 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What I do is strip the DRM, and then I am able to go into the ePub and add in widows and orphans of 0. This turns this annoying feature off. I feel it would be better defaulting to off.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote