Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 09-27-2007, 12:33 PM   #1
KGB
KGB began at the beginning.

Device: razor v3
Nokia 770 - download link for evince?

Hi all,

and may I say thank you for the superb information that I have already gleaned from the forums.

Well, I took the plunge and got hold of a NOKIA 770, also got the Navicore pack which I have to say works very well.

The main reason for the 770 purchase was to read ebooks - I have a large collection, mainly fiction, but also quite a few technical titles.

I'm very pleased with the 770 so far but will definitely be looking for an e-ink based reader when there is a UK supplier and they are <£150.

I have installed FBREADER & COOLREADER which I am just getting to grips with, can anyone let me have a direct link to the EVINCE package? I can see the download pages but am at a loss to see which I need, purely for .PDF.

Keith.
KGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 01:22 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Welcome to MobileRead, KGB!

Don't know anything about EVINCE or 770's myself, but I'm sure there are lots around here that do.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2007, 03:14 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Search for evince on IT OS 2006 at Maemo Downloads.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 03:29 PM   #4
DeGodefroi
Zealot
DeGodefroi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite (had Illiad)
Welll I am waiting for OVER 2 MONTHS on Nokia to repair my 770! I am quite <bleep> about Nokia. But back on tpic, I started reading ebooks on the 770 using FBreader. It could manage approx 5 hours. not too shabby.
After that, I bought the Iliad, since i liked reading books on a device. And planned to have the 770 for video and backup reader.
DeGodefroi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 05:29 PM   #5
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
Hi all,

and may I say thank you for the superb information that I have already gleaned from the forums.

Well, I took the plunge and got hold of a NOKIA 770, also got the Navicore pack which I have to say works very well.

The main reason for the 770 purchase was to read ebooks - I have a large collection, mainly fiction, but also quite a few technical titles.

I'm very pleased with the 770 so far but will definitely be looking for an e-ink based reader when there is a UK supplier and they are <£150.

I have installed FBREADER & COOLREADER which I am just getting to grips with, can anyone let me have a direct link to the EVINCE package? I can see the download pages but am at a loss to see which I need, purely for .PDF.

Keith.
Here's the link: http://maemo.org/downloads/product/evince/ I have this on mine and I really like this app.

BTW Internet Tablet Talk is a great forum for users if you haven't been there yet. http://www.internettablettalk.com/
I visit almost daily.

One more thing. Where did you get Coolreader and what types of files does it read?
Thanks,
Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2007, 02:09 PM   #6
KGB

Will not install?

Hi all and thank's for the swift response and comments.

Sorry Ellen, I was given Coolreader by a friend and hadn't actually installed it when I posted, turns out it's an e-book reader for the PC - and it's in Russian :-(

I did take a good luck at maemo and couldn't find the Evince d/l link - thank you.

I have a problem though. I have tried installing it direct from the 770, if I open it, it opens App. Mgr and says there is a problem; if I save it and click on it with File Mgr. it opens App. Mgr. but it's not shown in either Installed or Install new applications list - any ideas? Same problem if save it from the PC to the memcard and let file manager run it.

I did have a few probs getting the 770 DeGodefroi - first off Amazon sent me a returned item with 50% of the items missing, then replacement had a problem switching on (fairly common from what I have read).

Keith.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:38 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:

Sorry Ellen, I was given Coolreader by a friend and hadn't actually installed it when I posted, turns out it's an e-book reader for the PC - and it's in Russian :-(

I did take a good luck at maemo and couldn't find the Evince d/l link - thank you.

I have a problem though. I have tried installing it direct from the 770, if I open it, it opens App. Mgr and says there is a problem; if I save it and click on it with File Mgr. it opens App. Mgr. but it's not shown in either Installed or Install new applications list - any ideas? Same problem if save it from the PC to the memcard and let file manager run it.

I did have a few probs getting the 770 DeGodefroi - first off Amazon sent me a returned item with 50% of the items missing, then replacement had a problem switching on (fairly common from what I have read).

Keith.
Check my web site. I have links and information on both Evince and coolreader and hundreds more.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 03:31 PM   #8
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
Quote:

Keith.
Ok thanks. I did a search on that reader and I was confused since I had never seen a maemo version. As far as evince is concerned, I had a problem getting it to install too. What problems does it list? Usually it will tell you. I found that after I installed Python runtime 2.5 and I think it also depends on another text editor being installed also unzip, unrar, and zip . It's been awhile.

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 06:10 AM   #9
KGB

INSTALLING EVINCE PROBLEM

Hi Ellen,

If i try the one click install at the maemo link it downloads a 1k file App. Manager opens, but Evince is not shown in the install new apps page. The only options there are 4 colour schemes. There is plenty of free memory on the device and on the mem card.

If I open the file at the download link, again, App. Manager opens and then usually comes up with an error message.

I have also tried setting the download link as a repository package, if that makes sense, this also fails, and the log says it can't access the link properly.

Also tried the "red pill" option, which again fails.

I think it's an e-mail to maemo to confirm that the link is working properly.

Keith.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:14 AM   #10
KGB

Evince install problems:

Hi Dale,

many thank's for the link to your site - a superb reference.

Still can't see a link to Evince that works though, but I am getting somewhere.

I found another link, at etrunko's site, and this link does add a package to the 'phone successfully I still can,t install Evince, but I can see some gtk""" stuff which I believe forms part of Evince dependencies; unfortunately, this wont install either, but at least I can now see from the detail problem tab that it requires Python to be installed first which ties in with Ellen's comment.

So, I will be installing Python 2.51 later today and take it from there.

I have to say, that for a package that is so highly admired, and desired, by Noki 770 / 800 owners this is turning into a bit of a saga, needless to say, I am a point&click PC owner so at least it's a good learning curve for me.

I do find it difficult to understand why there seems to be so little supporting documentation out there on how to install Evince, and, copyrights notwithstanding, an A-Z instruction guide, detailing which package needs to be installed, and when, with links to the relevant pages.
I'm giving some serious consideration to setting up just such a, very basic, site to assist in the installation of Evince.

Keith.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:23 AM   #11
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
One of the problems with open source software is that it can depend on what a small number of individuals are willing to do. One thing they are often not willing to do is support old stuff. In this case, Evince definitely used to be supported on the Nokia 770 - but the maintainers have since "improved" the package so that it no longer installs.

There is a simple fix if you are willing to go out on the bleeding edge. The Internet Tablet Talk thread Evince on 770? says that the current evince installs on 2007HE. So if you upgrade to the experimental operating system you can use evince. Note that this thread also says that if you want cbr/cbz support you will still need to use an xterm and type in a few arcane commands (but all the needed steps are in the posts).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 01:27 PM   #12
KGB

Installing Evince problem:

Thank you wallcraft for the info.

I did do a search on the Internet Tablet site but the link you kindly supplied didn't come up in the results.

I did in fact post a a question in another forum here - should I install the HE firmware - but unfortunately didn't receive a reply.

My only requirement for Evince is to read .pdf files.

I'm gonna try the HE upgrade, here's hoping that the Navicore software doesn't have issues with the new firmware......

Will keep u posted - thank's all for your kind assistance.

Keith.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:23 AM   #13
KGB

INSTALLING EVINCE PROBLEM - SOLVED

Well,

wary of the hacker edition HE2007 of the firmware, after reading it "solves" the switching on problem, which I don't have but did on a 770 I returned to Amazon - I decided to try a python install

After installing the maemo python base repository at this address:

http://pymaemo.garage.maemo.org/installation.html

The evince installer that I downloaded from here:

http://etrunko.blogspot.com/2007/04/...in-extras.html

Looking in App. Mgr. Evince is suddenly available for install.

Installed and reading a PDF as we speak!!!

Thank's all !!!

(Now what's the next app. I need? lol)