Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-12-2011, 11:40 PM   #1
LivresInOz
LivresInOz
LivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Kobo: Forma + Libra|Galaxy: TAB A7 + Note 8 tablet|Boox: Note Air 2
Question A lightweight device to take notes based on diagrams and mindmaps

I am looking for a device to take (drawing-oriented) study notes with, and i was wondering if people had any ideas of what I could get?

(I know this is more for ebook readers, but I am familiar with this forum and I know you probably all have some experience!)

I need to be able to take study notes of the standard you see here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/56951993@N03/5521182169/

I need:

* the level of fineness of drawing/writing you see in my screenshot
* the ability to paste images in
* the ability to move text and images around easily (eg. with loop-selection)

[Obviously point one is about hardware, the second two software - but I need all of them.]

Two options I was considering:
* Ipad 1
* Entourage Edge, which seems to have advantage that I could watch the powerpoint slides of a lecture on one screen, and notate them on the other

I have a budget of about $US 500.

I use OneNote now on a (heavy) tablet, and apparently onenote for the ipad is being offered free at the moment:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/micro...410395246?mt=8

I need something lightweight I can take notes on while reading heavy textbooks. My tablet computer, while powerful, is just too heavy. I've found that with study, variety is key. Ideally i'd like to be able to take notes not just while strapped to a desk, but while sitting in an arm chair, perhaps with the device resting on the arm of the chair. The more inviting study is, the easier it is to get into it!

I already have a Boox/Bebook for reading ebooks.

(I'm mainly interested in hearing from people who have had actual experience in using such features. Thanks!)

Last edited by LivresInOz; 03-12-2011 at 11:42 PM.
LivresInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 03:46 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Personally, I think that a pencil and a writing pad is still the best for this purpose, and you can buy a lot of paper and pencils for $500.

I like technology, but it's not always the answer to every problem.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2011, 07:39 AM   #3
LivresInOz
LivresInOz
LivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Kobo: Forma + Libra|Galaxy: TAB A7 + Note 8 tablet|Boox: Note Air 2
My own personal preference is for digital notes, for this particular purpose.

I find it alot easier to create, add to and rearrange the complex mindmaps and diagrams I use to learn with, using a computer program. It also allows me to scan diagrams and pictures from books, and to draw on them...And so many other reasons.

(A quick look at the picture I included would reveal all of the above)

The reason I asked on a forum like this is that I have plenty of experience and knowledge of the use of paper and pen already, and I'm sure there are other forums to ask about such tools.

I'll just repeat the last thing I said in my post:

I'm mainly interested in hearing from people who have had actual experience in using such features.

Perhaps I should add to that, that I'm most interested in hearing from people who are interested in answering the question I posed.

Thanks so much.

Last edited by LivresInOz; 03-13-2011 at 07:49 AM.
LivresInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:51 AM   #4
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenji View Post
I need:

* the level of fineness of drawing/writing you see in my screenshot
* the ability to paste images in
* the ability to move text and images around easily (eg. with loop-selection)

[Obviously point one is about hardware, the second two software - but I need all of them.]
I am studying these issues too - but have not made my purchase yet. Nevertheless I am seriously considering Wacom's Bamboo Craft tablet, which comes budled with Corel draw - at any rate I should be able to use either Xournal of Jarnal on it: at least, that's the plan
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:57 AM   #5
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Personally, I think that a pencil and a writing pad is still the best for this purpose, and you can buy a lot of paper and pencils for $500.

I like technology, but it's not always the answer to every problem.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
study ipad edge