Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > BBeB/LRF Books

Notices

Old 01-16-2008, 07:30 PM   #1
Deputy-Dawg
Groupie
Deputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-books

Device: sony prs505
Aquinas, St. Thomas - Summa Theologica, 16 Jan 2008

St. Thomas Aquinas' seminal work the "Summa Theologica" is a work that is still used as a reference in many theology classes both in the Catholic Church and in many other orthodox christian churches. It is a most exhaustive works on the subject ever written - indeed it is mind boggling that it could have been written by a single individual.

As such it presents a manifold number of challenges on how to publish it, let alone publishing it in an ebook format. The attached file "Summa1.lrf" is an attempt to arrive a some working compromises in an ebook publication. For example there are quite a large number of references within the book to itself, to scripture and to other documents. In web publications it is possible to link in such references so that they can be had by a simple press of a button. Preserving such links is fraught with problems. Among which are copyrights. bloating of the files and others. The links alone make the files difficult to load and read while file size can can make a book difficult to load and (one more example) large TOCs can cause parsin and other format problems.

That being understood attached file Summa1.lrf is offered for what it may be worth. It contains the first 43 questions from the Summa. I expect that will be about 13 or so books in the library by the time I have comleted the entire SUMMA. Please look at it critically and let me have your comments before I begin the next volume.

Last edited by Deputy-Dawg; 01-17-2008 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Remove obsolete file
Deputy-Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 05:09 PM   #2
Deputy-Dawg
Groupie
Deputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-books

Complete Summa Theologica

Just before I went to bed last night I read in a message that files loaded from the Sony Connect progam (Sony Library) load much more quickly than files simply copied directly to the SD card.

It was like a burr under my saddle, I had to try it! So at 1:30AM I was up and by 3:30 I had completed Part One of the Summa Theologica. And sure enough when I loaded to the SD card it opened much more quickly than before. And, interestingly it did not cause the Reader to shut down during each format. With that encouragement I have created the five traditional divisions of the Summa as seperate files. I have added the 2 apendicies to the end of Supplement to eliminate the need for a sixth very much smaller file.

Perhaps my Avatar should be saying "I am so tired"
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: lrf Summa Part 1.lrf (2.27 MB, 794 views)
File Type: lrf Summa Part 2A.lrf (2.33 MB, 841 views)
File Type: lrf Summa Part 2B.lrf (3.58 MB, 788 views)
File Type: lrf Summa Part 3.lrf (2.18 MB, 756 views)
File Type: lrf Summa Supplement.lrf (1.87 MB, 717 views)

Last edited by Deputy-Dawg; 01-18-2008 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Replace files because of a nasty glitch
Advert
Old 01-18-2008, 04:11 PM   #3
Deputy-Dawg
Groupie

Because of the way that dead links are handled in the BBeB format there were quite a few instances of () appearing were in fact there should have been scriptural references. I have repaired the problem.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:50 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you have used Book Designer to generated these eBooks, can you please also generate a PRC and an IMP version as well please?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:03 AM   #5
bookbinder
Connoisseur
bookbinder has learned how to read e-booksbookbinder has learned how to read e-booksbookbinder has learned how to read e-booksbookbinder has learned how to read e-booksbookbinder has learned how to read e-booksbookbinder has learned how to read e-booksbookbinder has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, FW:5.6.1
Well done, DD!
bookbinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2008, 12:59 PM   #6
Deputy-Dawg
Groupie

Jon,,
I guess I am the odd one. I use a Mac. The source files were edited HTML using Adobe GoLive and BBedit. The files were converted to the .lrf format usiing libprs500. I do have Book Designer installed in a Windows partition on my Mac but I find it clumsy at best. It may be that I am simply more comfortable with the tools I use. I will take a look at it and see what I can do.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:09 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Using the HTML, it should not be too difficult to create at least a PRC version. If you need more help, HarryT is the one to talk to.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 01:07 AM   #8
Carey
Carey began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy-Dawg View Post
Just before I went to bed last night I read in a message that files loaded from the Sony Connect progam (Sony Library) load much more quickly than files simply copied directly to the SD card.
DD, that is an interesting observation. Do you recall . . . Was this something that someone discovered by accident, or was it found in the Sony User Manual?

Carey
Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 07:26 AM   #9
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
I recall having discovered that a long time ago (maybe April or May of '07) but I can't recall whether I read it on this forum and tried it out or whether I simply observed it in the early days of using the PRS500.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't in the Sony User Manual because I always read the manuals for all the stuff I buy and that would have stuck in my mind, had it been there.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 07:46 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey View Post
DD, that is an interesting observation. Do you recall . . . Was this something that someone discovered by accident, or was it found in the Sony User Manual?

Carey
It's something that pretty much all Sony owners know, Carey. When you load a book using Connect, your PC's fast processor does the pagination of the book. When you load it directly via USB, the Reader's extremely slow processor has to paginate the book when you first open it, or when you select a font size for the first time.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote