Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-27-2010, 10:59 PM   #1
wahey1969
wahey1969 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
Have a Sony...but thinking of changing

hi all
I currently have a Sony ereader PRS-505. I live in Canada and have found that many of the ebooks that I want are unavailable in Canada through the Sony ebook store. So I started buying them from Waterstones in England. They have just emailed me to say that due to Publisher's pressure they can no longer sell to anyone outside of the UK.
So given that I can't (apparently) buy ebooks from the US or from the UK that leaves me with Canadian sources only. Which of the ereaders out there would be best for this....and which could I be able to upload/sync my existing ebooks with?
Any ideas...or are there ebook stores out there with large numbers of books that I can buy from in Canada?
Sorry for the long question.

Chris
wahey1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:17 PM   #2
doone
doone began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300; eee pc
Amazon and their Kindle are available in Canada but won't jive with your existing books, you'll have to convert. Or you can buy kindle books to read on your pc (app called Kindle for PC) or figure out how to strip DRM and covert for your Sony.

Good luck.

Or just hope Sony adds more ebooks soon.
doone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2010, 01:59 AM   #3
starrlamia
Zealot
starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, PB 16g
chapters has the kobo as well
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:38 AM   #4
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
Trebuchet your old 505 over here to OZ when you get a newie!
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:40 AM   #5
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Kobo is a Canadian company and has ebooks from a couple of Canadian publishers not available elsewhere due to geo-restrictions. (So I understand from lurking in the forums.) If you're looking for a bookstore that sells EPUBs (you don't have to have the Kobo ereader to read books from Kobo), they might be a good choice then. Of course, there's Amazon's bookstore too.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2010, 07:35 PM   #6
wahey1969

Thanks for the help all. Just went and played with a Kobo in Chapters - not really impressed. However, the girl in Chapters suggested that I try and buy books through kobo and open them up on my Sony. It worked...and Kobo sell the books that I want
Old 10-30-2010, 08:58 PM   #7
stodge
Groupie
stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahey1969 View Post
Thanks for the help all. Just went and played with a Kobo in Chapters - not really impressed. However, the girl in Chapters suggested that I try and buy books through kobo and open them up on my Sony. It worked...and Kobo sell the books that I want
I'm not familiar with the desktop s/w for the sony, but do you download the books from Kobo and transfer them to your Sony over USB?
stodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 06:09 PM   #8
wahey1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by stodge View Post
I'm not familiar with the desktop s/w for the sony, but do you download the books from Kobo and transfer them to your Sony over USB?
Well when i downloaded it from kobo store i had the option of opening with reader library which i selected. The reader library is the software that came with the Sony e-reader
Old 11-06-2010, 10:36 PM   #9
hel
Sorceress
hel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to behold

Device: Onyx Air2&Nova 3C,Kindle oasis1,Kobo Forma,iPad pro 12.9&9.7,and more.
But Sony 350/650 and Kindle DX/3wifi/3g are available in Canada. All of them have new improved screen (pearl). You could look at Sony at Futureshop/Bestbuy or order Kindle from Amazon.
hel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:08 AM   #10
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Download the kobo desktop app and transfer them to your sony
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:09 PM   #11
stodge
Groupie
stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One problem with dowloading from Kobo is that the downloadable books I've tried to view in Sony's OSX desktop reader all look awful. The formatting is screwed up and content is often garbled. I'm assuming the downloadable Kobo books are from Google Books. Is there any way to download Kobo books when the only option is "Read now"?
Old 11-07-2010, 02:32 PM   #12
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I don't understand that. I purchase books from Kobo and I don't load them in a Kobo reader (ADE desktop, Bluefire Reader, Cybook Opus) and some of them have a better look than others, but not different from other shops. No problem with Kobo books.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:33 PM   #13
stodge
Groupie

I guess the free downloadble epubs on kobobooks.com are of poor quality.