Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 12-07-2009, 11:55 PM   #1
dalderton
dalderton began at the beginning.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro
Happy Australian Astak Buyer

Just a quick word from Australia.I ordered a Pocket Pro on the 3rd of December .It arrived in country NSW Australia this morning the 8th of December from Astak in San Jose and is up and running. I am new to Ebooks and Readers but am very happy with my purchase and even happier with the Astak Service.
I am a bit dissapointed with the fact tha Adobe doesnt recognise Linux and even on the Awful MS Windoze Adobe doesnt work with Opera Browser.It is embarassing enough to have to get out the dreaded Laptop and Windoze without having to use the equally horrible IE. I will try Firefox to avoid IE or just grin and bear it
Regards Dennis
dalderton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:14 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
From Adobe® Digital Editions 1.7.1 Release Notes:
Quote:
Users cannot fulfill eBooks successfully using the Opera browser. Instead of passing the ACSM file to Digital Editions, Opera by default opens the file. This can be avoided by the following:

1. Open Opera Preferences dialog.
2. On the Advanced tab, click Downloads.
3. Click Add.
4. Set the mimetype to application/vnd.adobe.adept+xml.
5. Set the file extension to acsm.
6. Press OK to close the dialog.
I think you can also run ADE under Linux using Wine.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:05 AM   #3
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
You can run Adobe Digital Editions through wine (I'm using crossover office) without hassle. Successfully authorised and transferred purchased books to my mini.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:17 AM   #4
dalderton

Wallcraft.
Thanks for that info,I will get onto it.I use Puppy Linux by choice but I have not played with wine however I will have to give it a go. It goes against the grain to have to use Microsoft stuff.The whole Puppy program only uses about 100Mb and has pretty much everything I need.Now that I think about it I used Firefox on Linux and it downloaded the acsm file properly from BooksonBoard but at the time I did not understand how the Adobe program worked.When I switched to the laptop I used Opera and got the wrong format.(when in doubt read the instructions!)
Thanks again for the info,
Regards Dennis.
edit: Got Wine and after a few tries I have Digital Editions working on Dpup. Excellent Result.
DA

Last edited by dalderton; 12-09-2009 at 07:08 PM.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:21 PM   #5
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Run Adobe Digital Editions through wine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
You can run Adobe Digital Editions through wine (I'm using crossover office) without hassle. Successfully authorised and transferred purchased books to my mini.
Dear Solicitous:

I know you as a smart, savvy, eBook lover!! I trust your judgement. As such I took the ADE ON MY NOTEBOOK, put it into my USB drive, and submerged the USB in wine (a very fine Bourgelais with unique undertones of dirty wine barrels). The USB drive did not survive.

I STRONGLY urge you NOT to submerge your Pocket PRO in wine! You may drink the wine while reading and that is fine... but "running ADE through wine" may void your warranty!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:00 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear Solicitous:

I know you as a smart, savvy, eBook lover!! I trust your judgement. As such I took the ADE ON MY NOTEBOOK, put it into my USB drive, and submerged the USB in wine (a very fine Bourgelais with unique undertones of dirty wine barrels). The USB drive did not survive.

I STRONGLY urge you NOT to submerge your Pocket PRO in wine! You may drink the wine while reading and that is fine... but "running ADE through wine" may void your warranty!
Ha Ha, I presume you do know that wine is the name of a window emulator for linux.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:51 PM   #7
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Window Emulator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Ha Ha, I presume you do know that wine is the name of a window emulator for linux.

Dale
Dear Dale:

That is why I count on you!! I didn't know.

Thanks for information!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:41 PM   #8
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear Solicitous:

Ah there is your problem, needs to be a cheap and dirty Chardonnay (or if money is tight anything with Grenache might work)

All seriousness as DaleDe covered, Wine is an emulator, allows us poor linux users to run windows programs.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:28 PM   #9
dalderton

New developments .
As specified I got the ADE program operating through WINE. It downloaded etc but does not recognise the PP. Now I find that on my laptop with XP when I Connect PP I get a Windows error message.
Error Signature.
App Name Digital Editions.exe App Vers. 9.0.1085.27 Mod Name Digital Editions.exe Mod Vers 9.0.1085.27 Offset 002b7fb8
I have uninstalled ADE and reinstalled it several times with the same result.I can download to ADE and read with it but as soon as I connect the Pocket Pro the Error message comes and shuts down the program.
I attempted to get help from Adobe but they are not too keen to help because it is a freebie program.
Anyone have any thoughts on this. It is a bit crook not being able to transfer to the PP. Any help would be appreciated.
Incidentally before I attempted to get ADE to work through Wine on Linux the PP connected to ADE on my laptop with XP without problems.
When I connected the PP to my Linux box it showed a 2 usb drives and I was able to mount them and see the files but not able to transfer to or from ADE

Regards Dennis Alderton.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:38 PM   #10
Solicitous
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalderton View Post
New developments .
As specified I got the ADE program operating through WINE. It downloaded etc but does not recognise the PP. Now I find that on my laptop with XP when I Connect PP I get a Windows error message.
Error Signature.
App Name Digital Editions.exe App Vers. 9.0.1085.27 Mod Name Digital Editions.exe Mod Vers 9.0.1085.27 Offset 002b7fb8
I have uninstalled ADE and reinstalled it several times with the same result.I can download to ADE and read with it but as soon as I connect the Pocket Pro the Error message comes and shuts down the program.
I attempted to get help from Adobe but they are not too keen to help because it is a freebie program.
Anyone have any thoughts on this. It is a bit crook not being able to transfer to the PP. Any help would be appreciated.
Incidentally before I attempted to get ADE to work through Wine on Linux the PP connected to ADE on my laptop with XP without problems.
When I connected the PP to my Linux box it showed a 2 usb drives and I was able to mount them and see the files but not able to transfer to or from ADE

Regards Dennis Alderton.
Ok with PuppyLinux and ADE, connect the PP (and make sure it is mounted) then load ADE. If ADE is running when you connect the PP, it wont be recognised.

With ADE in Windows, it sounds like the profile is corrupt. When you uninstall ADE there will still be some residual files left. I suggest you uninstall ADE, then delete the ADE folder in c:\program files\XXX (I don't know the name of the folder it installs to) and any ADE folder you see in c:\documents and settings\YOURUSERNAME then reinstall. Sorry I can't be too specific with the Windows issue, but I'm working off the top of my head as I don't run Windows at all.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:49 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
New developments .

Regards Dennis Alderton.
Can you actually save ANY files to both those drives without errors,
Both on Windows and Linux?

I have had problems with the Intel 82801 chipset USB2 drivers on 3 machines. I disabled the USB2 enhanced driver (XP) and it ran. Since I wanted 2.0 speeds for other devices, I dropped a cheap USB1.x only board into my desktop. unfortunately [I]that/I] option does not exist on a lappy.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 01:16 AM   #12
dalderton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Ok with PuppyLinux and ADE, connect the PP (and make sure it is mounted) then load ADE. If ADE is running when you connect the PP, it wont be recognised.

With ADE in Windows, it sounds like the profile is corrupt. When you uninstall ADE there will still be some residual files left. I suggest you uninstall ADE, then delete the ADE folder in c:\program files\XXX (I don't know the name of the folder it installs to) and any ADE folder you see in c:\documents and settings\YOURUSERNAME then reinstall. Sorry I can't be too specific with the Windows issue, but I'm working off the top of my head as I don't run Windows at all.
I wish I didnt use Windows at all as well. I wiped the laptop and reloaded Windows XP reinstalled ADE and got exactly the same result with the error message.Very frustrating. I can only think that it is at the Adobe end of the business or something is corrupted in the PP.
On the Linux setup I tried what you suggested and mounted the drives then started ADE but no joy. I can take a file from outside the ADE screen and drag it to the Library successfully but not the other way and the PP does not show on the ADE page, I am using the latest Debian based version of Puppy Linux. May I ask what distribution you are using?
Regards Dennis
Old 12-13-2009, 01:45 AM   #13
Solicitous
Wizard

Quote:
I wish I didnt use Windows at all as well. I wiped the laptop and reloaded Windows XP reinstalled ADE and got exactly the same result with the error message.Very frustrating. I can only think that it is at the Adobe end of the business or something is corrupted in the PP.
On the Linux setup I tried what you suggested and mounted the drives then started ADE but no joy. I can take a file from outside the ADE screen and drag it to the Library successfully but not the other way and the PP does not show on the ADE page, I am using the latest Debian based version of Puppy Linux. May I ask what distribution you are using?
Regards Dennis
Dennis, I am using Ubuntu. Well looks like ADE has an issue with the PP. Connect the PP (Linux or Windows, doesn't matter) and in the root of the on board memory there is actually a hidden folder created by ADE called .adobe-digital-editions. It contains 2 .xml files that has device information and authorisation for ADE. I suggest delete that folder (or the xml files inside), disconnect the PP and turn it off then on, and reconnect it to ADE and reauthorise the PP.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:24 AM   #14
dalderton

Solicitous. Thanks for the info.I could not find both files on Puppy as it was not showing the hidden files. On windows I could locate them in PP and deleted them. I then followed your instructions and on Windows it accepted PP and all was well. I tried it on the Linux Box but it still does not see PP.
For some reason in the manifest.xml file it was looking for an Apple device. Go Figure. Now it sees the PP fine.
Many thanks for the heads up ,it is most appreciated.
Regards Dennis.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:41 PM   #15
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Solicitous. Thanks for the info.I could not find both files on Puppy as it was not showing the hidden files. .
At most linux command lines

Code:
ls -al
will show everything with lot's of data, icluding permissions etc.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote