Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-15-2009, 11:34 PM   #1
oncdoc
Addict
oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle, pocket pro
im returning dx. too heavy and pdf

kinda unsatisfactory to me. rather continue using calibre and convert. at least its readable then.

NOw what do i tell amazon to get my money back. I have not returned much to them. should i simply say dissatisfied?

shucks. wanted to like it.
oncdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:39 PM   #2
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
You can return it for free in 30 days, no questions asked. I suppose if they ask say that you wanted better PDF support... notes, annotations, dictionary lookup, zoom, etc.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:35 AM   #3
301verbs
Enthusiast
301verbs began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
To be honest, I'd give them the reasons even if they don't ask (at least about things they can still change, like the PDF support. I figure they can't do much about the weight at this point.)

The reason is that while individual complaints probably get little attention, the chances of them being taken seriously are higher if they're backed by action (like returning the product).
301verbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:46 AM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Sorry you have to return it but it's great that you were able to give it a good test to know if it would work for you or not. Now you won't have to wonder. There are so many cool devices coming that you'll probably find something that you'll like.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:52 AM   #5
oncdoc
Addict
oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle, pocket pro
thanks daffy. yeah love my kindle 2, will wait for the technology to mature more and prices will also come down hand in hand.
oncdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:52 AM   #6
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Good! Amazon deliberately crippled the PDF software of the DX (if we consider their manpower, and the time elapsed since the first Kindle, and the little they did to improve their firmware compared to companies like Lbook and iRex), and they have to pay the price with unsatisfied customers drawing the logical consequence and returning the DX.
Serious readers should send a strong message to Amazon. They want the best, richest reading environment possible, and they should not accept less than that.

Last edited by Lbooker; 06-17-2009 at 04:24 AM.
Lbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:43 AM   #7
jxh11215
Connoisseur
jxh11215 doesn't litterjxh11215 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 1 & Kindle 2
I am waiting another week or so to see if they send out an update, but if we don't get one am returning because I got better pdf support converting myself and putting on the K2. I'm really bummed because I wanted a good reason to keep this device.
jxh11215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:14 PM   #8
elmoglick
Groupie
elmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litter

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxh11215 View Post
I am waiting another week or so to see if they send out an update, but if we don't get one am returning because I got better pdf support converting myself and putting on the K2. I'm really bummed because I wanted a good reason to keep this device.
I'd be very interested to learn how converted PDFs display on the DX. If they're pretty close, this would be the preferable way to view these docs.

El
elmoglick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:52 PM   #9
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
Personally, I'm pretty satisfied with the pdf capabilities on the DX. Sure, it could do more, but I'm quite happy with what it does.

I had a long post here but decided to trim it. Suffice to say, sometimes I think the pdf version looks MUCH better on the DX than the Amazon reflowable version.

Last edited by jharker; 06-16-2009 at 02:00 PM.
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:15 PM   #10
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Its going to be interesting to see how Amazon handles complains from this release going into K3.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 04:49 PM   #11
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
You can return it for free in 30 days, no questions asked. I suppose if they ask say that you wanted better PDF support... notes, annotations, dictionary lookup, zoom, etc.
and FOLDERS!
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:39 PM   #12
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by oncdoc View Post
kinda unsatisfactory to me. rather continue using calibre and convert. at least its readable then.
Is there a way for Calibre to convert pdf's so they have full justification on a 6" screen? For Kindle or even for Sony's 505?
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:40 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddman View Post
Is there a way for Calibre to convert pdf's so they have full justification on a 6" screen? For Kindle or even for Sony's 505?
That is not Calibre's job. That has to do with how the PDF was originally created.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:18 PM   #14
cmcarpenter
Carolyn Carpenter
cmcarpenter began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-950
I've been considering a DX for reading books from Google books. Has anyone tried them on the DX?

The comment about the DX being too heavy discourages me too.
cmcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:06 PM   #15
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcarpenter View Post

The comment about the DX being too heavy discourages me too.
The PDF capabilities suck. It's a basic image viewer. Nothing else. Amazon sucks for crippling it so terribly.

As for being too heavy, it depends. It is lighter than many hard-cover books, but certainly heavier than the Kindle 2.

If you read in bed, or in a chair, or at a table, it's really not an issue.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote