Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 11-24-2014, 10:14 AM   #1
zoomiest
zoomiest began at the beginning.

Device: Pixel 3a
E-book reader recommendations?

I am just getting ready to publish an E-book about my ancestors, to my extended family. For some of them, an E-book may be new.

Does anyone have any special recommendations about free Ebook reader apps for Android, iPhone/iPad, and Blackberry handhelds and tablets?

The issue is specifically - which is easiest to load a an E-book from your desktop. So many readers are locked to a proprietary library (Amazon, iBooks, etc.) that its hard to get an eBook into the reader (especially for iPhone/iPad - I find Android devices will allow you a selection from installed apps, and you can just pick one). I don't have any experience with new generation of Blackberry devices.

I was just about to download a bunch of them, and run some tests, but I thought I would draw on the existing expertise of the community, first. Thank you, in advance!

Last edited by zoomiest; 11-24-2014 at 10:16 AM. Reason: add the emphasis on "apps" (not devices)
zoomiest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:06 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Moon+ (Pro $) for Android

but why limit yourself to FREE?
Most Apps cost less than a Starbucks Pikes
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:16 AM   #3
zoomiest
zoomiest began at the beginning.

Device: Pixel 3a
Thank you.

Any recommendations for the iPhone/iPad?
zoomiest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 08:10 AM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
What does "locked to a proprietary library" mean? You can easily sideload common or garden variety epubs to iBooks, if that's your reader app of choice on an iDevice.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook readers