Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-31-2014, 01:11 AM   #1
Lenorav
Enthusiast
Lenorav began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Question I can not apply Jailbreak PW2 serial B0D4.

I use kindle PW2 wifi, serial is: B0D4, i used firmware 5.4.3.2 and try apply jailbreak, but not work, now when connect wifi pw2 updated automatic to firware 5.4.5.1

The question is, is there a way to apply jailbreak in my kindle? Is there a way to avoid automatic firmware update?

What about the privacy issue, if Amazon knows what books I read, if yes, is possible to avoid it get my data? It may be my paranoia, but with this problem of the NSA.

Last edited by Lenorav; 08-31-2014 at 01:14 AM.
Lenorav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 01:33 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Reapply the jailbreak, your firmware is supported. If it still doesn't work, report the error code you get in the jailbreak thread.

See Kindle_Touch_Hacking#Blocking_Official_Updates

If you do not wish Amazon to get your data, do not turn on WiFi, or use the BBB hack. Keep in mind that Amazon already knows what books you have, if you bought them from Amazon. If not, whichever store you did purchase from, knows.

If you wish to prevent Amazon targeting you with Big Data, this works. If you are afraid of the NSA, keep in mind they are probably monitoring your home network -- so even if you only read free downloads from sites that don't require accounts, like Project Gutenberg and archive.org, they still know.

Last edited by eschwartz; 08-31-2014 at 01:41 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 01:47 AM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

"It isn't paranoia if they really are out to get you".

Either way, Amazon is the least of your worries.

Being properly paranoid requires a great deal of work and a "healthy" () imagination. Let's not be having any of this halfway stuff, it is an embarrassment to the Tinfoil Brigade.*

* A much-maligned group who are often made fun of without Due Cause. I heartily support their right to fight for freedom from whatever, even if I think they waste their time with non-issues.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:54 AM   #4
Lenorav
Enthusiast

Even though I have not registered the kindle in my name they know? What link is jailbrek latest?
Old 08-31-2014, 01:58 AM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenorav View Post
Even though I have not registered the kindle in my name they know? What link is jailbrek latest?
Worst comes to worst, they can tie the serial number (of your unregistered Kindle) to the account that purchased it. If you bought it at Best Buy, the NSA can always lean on Best Buy too. If you purchased with cold cash, then for properly safeguarding your personal info.

Next step is to avoid connecting to their servers with an IP that can give them clues to your location.

The latest jaibreak is posted in the jailbreak thread.

Last edited by eschwartz; 08-31-2014 at 02:02 AM.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:03 AM   #6
Lenorav
Enthusiast

I bought in amazon website, When I bought it came unregistered, registered in offline mode without by my pessoal data using a method of mobiread.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:12 AM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenorav View Post
I bought in amazon website, When I bought it came unregistered, registered in offline mode without by my pessoal data using a method of mobiread.
Then they know which account bought it.

Bottom line: Amazon probably has no idea what you are doing, but there is no guarantee. BBB or staying in offline mode can fix that.

And wherever you may purchase still knows your purchase history. And if the NSA was really interested in you, they have a lot of other intrusion vectors you didn't mention -- any time you aren't using either the Tor Network, or MULTIPLE layers of proxies, they *could* be watching.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:01 PM   #8
Lenorav
Enthusiast

I've been reading the forum these days and install the Kual, BBB Filter, avoid automatic updates and install customized wall papers, however, and tried to install new fonts and did not work, I tried installing duokan and did not work.

It is possible to use google translator instead of bing?
Old 09-02-2014, 09:44 PM   #9
Lenorav
Enthusiast

The BBB filter blocks the translation feature and wikipedia, not is possible leaving these two working?

Last edited by Lenorav; 09-02-2014 at 10:23 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:01 AM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Sorry I didn't respond earlier here. No need to ask me elsewhere, though -- I am subscribed to this thread already.

You say you tried to install the fonts hack and it didn't work? Can you describe what happened. Did you get an error code?

I do not have any knowledge of Duokan, it is not a MobileRead hack so you may not get any good answers here. The makers of Duokan did not release the sources IIRC.
You may wish to look at KOReader, the official MobileRead alternative reader (supporting EPUB) for Kindle.

Last edited by eschwartz; 09-03-2014 at 11:03 AM.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:27 PM   #11
Lenorav
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Sorry I didn't respond earlier here. No need to ask me elsewhere, though -- I am subscribed to this thread already.

You say you tried to install the fonts hack and it didn't work? Can you describe what happened. Did you get an error code?

I do not have any knowledge of Duokan, it is not a MobileRead hack so you may not get any good answers here. The makers of Duokan did not release the sources IIRC.
You may wish to look at KOReader, the official MobileRead alternative reader (supporting EPUB) for Kindle.
Now I do not need duokan, i did not know koreader, was the resources i needed, and have in koreader, thank you.

I install the fonts in:
/media/Kindle/linkfonts/fonts$ ls -a
. Mono_Regular.ttf Serif_BoldItalic.ttf
.. Sans_BoldItalic.ttf Serif_Bold.ttf
Mono_BoldItalic.ttf Sans_Bold.ttf Serif_Italic.ttf
Mono_Bold.ttf Sans_Italic.ttf Serif_Regular.ttf
Mono_Italic.ttf Sans_Regular.ttf

I tested these, i active fonts in kual and failed. I not know where see the errors, but I can not see fonts in AA menu.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:59 PM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

So it successfully installed, thats good.

According to the font hack documentation, you should not see custom fonts in the Aa menu. You must use KUAL to change the fonts, KUAL to load the fonts, KUAL to restart the device so it sees the fonts... Seemingly you must have python installed too.

The whole thing looks massively complicated, which is expected since this modifies the framework in exciting ways... I suggest rereading the docs with an eye for detail. There is a lot of it and I imagine it trips up a lot of people the first time.

P.S. I suggest we continue discussing the fonts hack on the thread for the fonts hack. More people will see it there, and the conversation may prove helpful to others in addition to getting NiLuJe's notice.

Last edited by eschwartz; 09-04-2014 at 12:03 AM.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:00 AM   #13
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Lenorav: As eschwartz said, read the (right) doc in detail, because you're mixing stuff up from different version of the font hack/tricks.

eschwartz recapped the expected behavior on the PW2, and I can tell you that you're at least doing something else wrong: you don't need to rename your font files to follow any kind of naming scheme.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, jailbreak, pw2